Senators Fan Fest - September 16/18

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
do you think any of the little kids lining up are gonna care which players show up? The day before it was Logan Brown with McCormick and Van Allen. Cut the team I assume you cheer for some slack.
I know your comment wasn't directed at me specifically, but hell yes I used to care about which players showed up. How is that not relevant to turnout? You better believe 10 year old me cared more about seeing Marian Hossa than Nelson Emmerson and Patrick Traverse.

At least with Brown you can sell that as a top prospect. What Pembroke got is a retiree (which isn't particularly a draw to kids, since you brought kids up) and a couple scrubs.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
This is sad to hear. I took my son a couple years ago when it was free. He had a great time. With gas and food I was already $70+ in, with the tickets it puts it at $100 for us to watch a practice.

No thank you.

I think 2014 was the first year you had to buy a ticket, but you got a Turris Bobblehead as well. Last year was the first year since then that you didn't get a bobblehead. I get that they do scrimmages, but I see the value in getting to meet and interact with players, lots of stuff for kids to check out as well. And even with the practice, you can easily seat in glass seats, which when you have a family might not be an option for a game given the cost.

In fairness to the Sens, the Draft party they had was free, got a SE puck. Pageau, Ceci, Bonk and Phillips were there, loads of stuff for kids, cheap food, tours of the Sens dressing room.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
I know your comment wasn't directed at me specifically, but hell yes I used to care about which players showed up. How is that not relevant to turnout? You better believe 10 year old me cared more about seeing Marian Hossa than Nelson Emmerson and Patrick Traverse.

At least with Brown you can sell that as a top prospect. What Pembroke got is a retiree (which isn't particularly a draw to kids, since you brought kids up) and a couple scrubs.

A 10 year old might, depending on the level of fan you are. I was a huge Yashin fan and remember waiting for what felt like forever to get an Autograph from him when they had these carnivals in the winter. So I get your point. But with that said, I remember walking up to get autos from Musil, Vial, Chorske, Zhlotok, Duchesne, Tugnutt etc and there were little to no line ups and actually got to chat with those players.

I've only been to one of the hometown tour things on the Quebec side and the little cousin I brought loved the games, and Spartacat more than anything. Now he would be hardpressed to name more than 3 Sens players at 9 years old, so take that into account.

I forget who mentioned it earlier, but I noticed that the halved the amount of stops this year, and none on the Quebec side, or Rockland/Hawkesbury way which is disappointing.

EDIT: Stone and Boedker are slated for Farrhaven tomorrow for what its worth.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
Firstly the fan fest and not hometown tour is what i was referencing, and yes I do and know for a fact that this question has arisen as it did when I was a kid and now it has with my young child, no slack will nor should be given to a business run for profit regardless of my or anyone's allegiance to said business...i find it incredible people hold this view especially related to the Senators and after what has transpired recently!

Ok, so regarding the fan fest players I don't think the guys they role out are lower tiered. For the Scratch tickets aside from the players I've got to meet (Michalek, Z. Smith & Chabot), other players that have attended those were not scrubs (Anderson, Methot, Hoffman, Turris, MacArthur, Stone). I guess you might be referring to the randomness of that and maybe getting a Legwand, Greening or Chiasson instead of an Anderson or Stone, but as Ned Kelly is quoted as saying (but didn't actually say) 'Such is Life'

The prospects and like that you don't need scratch tickets for included Colin White & Harpur last year (not to mention guys like Nick Paul, Chlapik, Perron, Logan Brown, etc)

I guess it's subjective right? I'm pretty satisfied with what I get outta my $10-$15 bucks pp for this (parking is free, I saw someone raise that issue)

Reactions: Upgrayedd

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
A 10 year old might, depending on the level of fan you are. I was a huge Yashin fan and remember waiting for what felt like forever to get an Autograph from him when they had these carnivals in the winter. So I get your point. But with that said, I remember walking up to get autos from Musil, Vial, Chorske, Zhlotok, Duchesne, Tugnutt etc and there were little to no line ups and actually got to chat with those players.

I've only been to one of the hometown tour things on the Quebec side and the little cousin I brought loved the games, and Spartacat more than anything. Now he would be hardpressed to name more than 3 Sens players at 9 years old, so take that into account.

I forget who mentioned it earlier, but I noticed that the halved the amount of stops this year, and none on the Quebec side, or Rockland/Hawkesbury way which is disappointing.

I seem to recall they had a ton of stops in Prescott-Russell, about 2 (or was it 3) years ago, maybe? Perhaps they focus on a different area every year?

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Ok, so regarding the fan fest players I don't think the guys they role out are lower tiered. For the Scratch tickets aside from the players I've got to meet (Michalek, Z. Smith & Chabot), other players that have attended those were not scrubs (Anderson, Methot, Hoffman, Turris, MacArthur, Stone). I guess you might be referring to the randomness of that and maybe getting a Legwand, Greening or Chiasson instead of an Anderson or Stone, but as Ned Kelly is quoted as saying (but didn't actually say) 'Such is Life'

The prospects and like that you don't need scratch tickets for included Colin White & Harpur last year (not to mention guys like Nick Paul, Chlapik, Perron, Logan Brown, etc)

I guess it's subjective right? I'm pretty satisfied with what I get outta my $10-$15 bucks pp for this (parking is free, I saw someone raise that issue)

I guess my question/observation boils down to why don't we see EK at any of these type of events (this year not withstanding for a few different reasons lol) ? The biggest star and captain, I may have missed the opportunities in the past where he was involved in fan/STH stuff etc...but I never personally saw him at any fan related event..., honest question because when I was a kid the stars were typically always available for the kids at autograph/fan interaction sessions, I don't see that much these days personally. Certainly don't expect you to know but I was trying to figure out if this is standard for the NHL or not and if there is some sort of agreement between him personally and the team etc...how do they decide throughout the whole year what players do what?

Reactions: Big Papi

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
I seem to recall they had a ton of stops in Prescott-Russell, about 2 (or was it 3) years ago, maybe? Perhaps they focus on a different area every year?

no for sure you're right. they've stopped out that way before. they've generally done a good job spreading them out.

I googled it and this is what I found for years previous
Last year they were doing 2 a day went to:
Casselman, Orléans, Renfrew, Shawville, Hull, Kingston, Perth, Nepean Kemptville, Carleton Place

Buckingham, Aylmer, Hawkesbury, Rockland, Pembroke, Arnprior, Morrisburg, Brockville, Smith Falls

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
biggest star and captain, I may have missed the opportunities in the past where he was inv
I guess my question/observation boils down to why don't we see EK at any of these type of events (this year not withstanding for a few different reasons lol) ? The biggest star and captain, I may have missed the opportunities in the past where he was involved in fan/STH stuff etc...but I never personally saw him at any fan related event..., honest question because when I was a kid the stars were typically always available for the kids at autograph/fan interaction sessions, I don't see that much these days personally. Certainly don't expect you to know but I was trying to figure out if this is standard for the NHL or not and if there is some sort of agreement between him personally and the team etc...how do they decide throughout the whole year what players do what?

Ah, gotcha! that's fair. I hear ya regarding EK. He did do some of the panel stuff in years past from what I recall. But in the years I've been at the FF (2014 to present) I have not heard of him doing Autos. that's not to say that he wasn't, I just didn't hear it.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Ah, gotcha! that's fair. I hear ya regarding EK. He did do some of the panel stuff in years past from what I recall. But in the years I've been at the FF (2014 to present) I have not heard of him doing Autos. that's not to say that he wasn't, I just didn't hear it.

Anyone know if Spezz or Alfie did much team established fan interaction type things further back? Perhaps the org thinks the Captain already shoulders a lot already?

Reactions: Big Papi

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
Anyone know if Spezz or Alfie did much team established fan interaction type things further back? Perhaps the org thinks the Captain already shoulders a lot already?

I think the star players were normally at the Fan Fest, but the hometown tours mostly seemed to feature rookies/prospects and younger players. Legit stars were never there as far as I can remember.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018

Yeah, I went with my son last year to the Casselman stop. It was Pageau, Chlapik and I forget who the third one was lol. Nonetheless. it was still nice that they came out. Haven't heard a thing this year...

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
I would think they have a better chance at people coming to watch games from Prescott-Russell than Pembroke.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but Canadian Tire is doing a promotion where you can get 2 free tickets to a Sens/Canadiens pre-season game with a 10 dollar fan fest ticket. I think it's limited 2 per person, so if you're looking to get more than that you'd likely need to bring more than one person to buy them. It's limited to the first 900 fan fest tickets sold per CT store....but something tells me they won't run out.

Even with all the negativity surrounding this team, it's a good opportunity to take a kid or casual fan to a game on the cheap. Even if you already have a fan fest ticket, it's basically two pre season tickets for 5 bucks each.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
In my opinion, the best way to love this team is to refuse to support this level of incompetence.

Because, as you'va said ( a number of times, and months ago) It's the "paying fans who are the problem, for the state of the Senators"

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Because, as you'va said ( a number of times, and months ago) It's the "paying fans who are the problem, for the state of the Senators"
Under 4000 season tickets is a nice start...

If Eugene sells off the UFA'S, that number will continue to drop.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Wait, they charge money for this, now?

It's admittedly been a while since I lived in Ottawa, but last I remembered, this was a free event. Also, look at the jokes of fees Ticketmaster are dumping on the consumer here: tickets to the event are $10, PLUS an extra $2.25 as "fees", so now you're at $12.25 per ticket... and then they get you for an extra $3.50 for a "processing fee" when you check out!! The face value on the ticket is $10, and then they are adding an extra 57% in "service fees"!!! On principal alone, I am outraged.

While we're on the subject, what exactly are you getting for your $16+parking fee anyways? Why are they charging for this now, when it used to just be an open practice + used equipment sale + a few bouncy castles and face painting and random other stuff... what did they add to the experience to justify charging admission?

Charged admission last year....$10.00 tickets were available (taxes included) at Canadian Tire stores.

Parking was reportedly lowered to $12, after the Town Hall meetings.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
Wait, they charge money for this, now?

It's admittedly been a while since I lived in Ottawa, but last I remembered, this was a free event. Also, look at the jokes of fees Ticketmaster are dumping on the consumer here: tickets to the event are $10, PLUS an extra $2.25 as "fees", so now you're at $12.25 per ticket... and then they get you for an extra $3.50 for a "processing fee" when you check out!! The face value on the ticket is $10, and then they are adding an extra 57% in "service fees"!!! On principal alone, I am outraged.

While we're on the subject, what exactly are you getting for your $16+parking fee anyways? Why are they charging for this now, when it used to just be an open practice + used equipment sale + a few bouncy castles and face painting and random other stuff... what did they add to the experience to justify charging admission?

Charged admission last year....$10.00 tickets were available (taxes included) at Canadian Tire stores.

Parking was reportedly lowered to $12, after the Town Hall meetings.

for what it is worth, every year i have gone to the Fan fest, parking has been free.

This year it is free as well, as stated on the event page.
Fan Fest

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Soooooo, anybody going?? My ten and eight year old still want to go, even without EK. Hmmm, who would of thought

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad