Senators Fan Fest - September 16/18

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Wait, they charge money for this, now?

It's admittedly been a while since I lived in Ottawa, but last I remembered, this was a free event. Also, look at the jokes of fees Ticketmaster are dumping on the consumer here: tickets to the event are $10, PLUS an extra $2.25 as "fees", so now you're at $12.25 per ticket... and then they get you for an extra $3.50 for a "processing fee" when you check out!! The face value on the ticket is $10, and then they are adding an extra 57% in "service fees"!!! On principal alone, I am outraged.

While we're on the subject, what exactly are you getting for your $16+parking fee anyways? Why are they charging for this now, when it used to just be an open practice + used equipment sale + a few bouncy castles and face painting and random other stuff... what did they add to the experience to justify charging admission?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
no press release about it or anything mentioned on twitter, webpage, instagram...

The organization have been taking a pretty big beating this offseason from pretty much everyone who pays attention to hockey. Every single tweet or news item this team has put out over the past 4(ish) months has been met with widespread criticism and ridicule.

I'm not sure that the team is mentally ready to be mocked again. Can you imagine the responses right now? The comments section of every single media source reporting this would be flooded with comments like "what exactly is happening with this team right now that is worth celebrating?", or "it should be a great event for the dozen people who are planning on showing up". As sad as it is, it might be the better PR strategy to just go radio silent on this event, hold it with minimal advertising or social media awareness to a low turnout, and move on and hope that the vibe around the team is better at this point next year.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
No info on this anywhere I can find... don't say what it is anywhere.

2017 info is here Fan Fest --- Last year included a "State of the Franchise" by Dorion

The only thing I found was on their Facebook page under events but it provides no info

So maybe the cart is just ahead of the horse here ..

Last edited:

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON

It's admittedly been a while since I lived in Ottawa, but last I remembered, this was a free event. Also, look at the jokes of fees Ticketmaster are dumping on the consumer here: tickets to the event are $10, PLUS an extra $2.25 as "fees", so now you're at $12.25 per ticket... and then they get you for an extra $3.50 for a "processing fee" when you check out!! The face value on the ticket is $10, and then they are adding an extra 57% in "service fees"!!! On principal alone, I am outraged.

While we're on the subject, what exactly are you getting for your $16+parking fee anyways? Why are they charging for this now, when it used to just be an open practice + used equipment sale + a few bouncy castles and face painting and random other stuff... what did they add to the experience to justify charging admission?

Service fees are a joke. Pretty soon they won't even give you an actual ticket, you will be forced to print them at home and still incur a "service fee" for doing the work yourself lmfao.

Reactions: InAbsensia

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012

It was a SSH perk/ autograph session with most of the NHL team in 2012/2013/2014? At least one of or multiple of those years I remember going. A lot of it is the same now, you get a scratch card for a high end prospect or roster player. And now there's two separate time windows for autographs with most of the prospects/camp invites. As long as you can get into a line with wristbands still available you can get almost all available to sign something for you. Sometimes random players will show up outside, Turris and Wideman did at the end last year for a brief time.

This was what I got signed last year
upload_2018-8-17_21-2-15.png

and I have a similar looking one from a few years ago as well.

You can also usually buy the tickets to it for $10 from a Canadian Tire store

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa

It used to be free then it was added as a perk for season seat holders but non seat holders had to pay for a year or two, now everyone has to pay I think, it's the same games and blow-ups the last 5 years....I guess your paying to get autographs (Probably do the first 100 guests get a bobblehead or how many are left after staff and media grab them)? To the team's defense it is the only time I have seen them put out the better players for autograph's, typically for any fan player interaction it is typically the fringe guys.

Reactions: Big Papi

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
It used to be free then it was added as a perk for season seat holders but non seat holders had to pay for a year or two, now everyone has to pay I think, it's the same games and blow-ups the last 5 years....I guess your paying to get autographs (Probably do the first 100 guests get a bobblehead or how many are left after staff and media grab them)? To the team's defense it is the only time I have seen them put out the better players for autograph's, typically for any fan player interaction it is typically the fringe guys.

I remember going to them in like the mid 90s, when they were held in the winter.

I've gone to the last 4-5 years. They did not have a bobblehead last year, but had the 3ish years prior, and they were a plenty those previous years (I remember them giving away Turris bobbleheads as I left and walked away with like 7 one year).

with the scratch tickets you either get a chance at a auto and photo with an unknown player (the previous years I have gotten Chabot, Zack Smith and Michalek). the ticket says line up at X time in line a,b,c,d,e or f. you have no idea which player you get until they walk out. Really cool seeing the kids react. Lesser prizes with the scratch includes 20% off merch, or ticket deals for pre-season games.

Gettting around to meeting the prospects is cool, can get busy, but I've gotten autographs from logan Brown, pageau, wideman, Chabot, Harpur, Perron, Paul, Chlapik, Claesson, McCormick, etc. Of course this was all prior to them being with the big club. If you get to table and there aren't many people waiting, you might get a chance for a chat.

The scrimmage is fun to watch, get to see the young guys versus the pros.

food has been 50% off the last couple of years I believe

very much geared towards kids, but $10 or so is worth a full day hanging out there imo, try and remember why you started loving the game and this team as a kid before all the BS politics

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
No info on this anywhere I can find... don't say what it is anywhere.

2017 info is here Fan Fest --- Last year included a "State of the Franchise" by Dorion

The only thing I found was on their Facebook page under events but it provides no info

So maybe the cart is just ahead of the horse here ..

Or perhaps there is no horse! :)

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Max McCormick, Ben Sexton and Chris Phillips in Pembroke on the Tour today.

How to ensure you don't get a big turnout 101.

Anyone know if it is an Ottawa thing to always roll out the lower tiered guys or is it pretty standard in the NHL? It seems none of the top guys are ever around when any type of larger fan interaction is involved. I wonder how they decide about this and what type of schedule or pecking order that exists.

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
Anyone know if it is an Ottawa thing to always roll out the lower tiered guys or is it pretty standard in the NHL? It seems none of the top guys are ever around when any type of larger fan interaction is involved. I wonder how they decide about this and what type of schedule or pecking order that exists.

do you think any of the little kids lining up are gonna care which players show up? The day before it was Logan Brown with McCormick and Van Allen. Cut the team I assume you cheer for some slack.

Reactions: Back in Black

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
do you think any of the little kids lining up are gonna care which players show up? The day before it was Logan Brown with McCormick and Van Allen. Cut the team I assume you cheer for some slack.

Firstly the fan fest and not hometown tour is what i was referencing, and yes I do and know for a fact that this question has arisen as it did when I was a kid and now it has with my young child, no slack will nor should be given to a business run for profit regardless of my or anyone's allegiance to said business...i find it incredible people hold this view especially related to the Senators and after what has transpired recently!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad