LeBrun: Senators emerging as legitimate option for Claude Giroux

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
I mean this makes a helluva lot more sense than the Edmonton rumor. But I think he still stays in Florida at a discount. Or maybe Tampa. He wants a cup, Ottawa isn't there yet
Florida ain’t winning. Tampa could certainly win again. Edmonton has to get a tendy and a d-man worth his salts and Ottawa is getting better but still off.

Giroux’s agent is using Ottawa to up his value

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
How do you figure that? The Oilers just made the final four. Ottawa is still a few years away from that. Why do they make more sense for a 34 year old unrestricted free agent?
Depends what his priorities are I guess. How much can Edmonton realistically offer him with their cap issues? I can see Ottawa offering up to 7.5 mil per year to play home.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Florida ain’t winning. Tampa could certainly win again. Edmonton has to get a tendy and a d-man worth his salts and Ottawa is getting better but still off.

Giroux’s agent is using Ottawa to up his value
Why isnt Florida winning exactly? They just had 122 points and won a round.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
This confuses me, if Giroux wants max $$$ then sure but if he wants to win a cup before he is done playing he is gonna have to sign for less than market value to join a cup contender

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Depends what his priorities are I guess. How much can Edmonton realistically offer him with their cap issues? I can see Ottawa offering up to 7.5 mil per year to play home.

Well, yes if he is chasing the biggest contract that might make sense for him. He has earned $80,000,000 over his career so that might not be his foremost consideration.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Only consider if he takes a secondary role. I'd pass on him, seems overrated currently.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Edmonton got one of the easiest routes to a conference finals ever and still got swept when they had to face a real contender. They're a ways out yet, needing a real 1G and 1D.

Handled the Kings though, didn't they? Beat the Flames in five, right? They ran into the future Stanley cup champions. The Avs are a tremendous team. Edmonton got beat fair and square. No shame in that. Those who keep complaining how "easy" it was for the Oilers to get the WC finals sound like a bunch of whiners, really.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Handled the Kings though, didn't they? Beat the Flames in five, right? They ran into the future Stanley cup champions. The Avs are a tremendous team. Edmonton got beat fair and square. No shame in that. Those who keep complaining how "easy" it was for the Oilers to get the WC finals sound like a bunch of whiners, really.

Handled the Kings? They barely won in 7 against a team missing a top 10 d-man, and the Kings aren't even a great team when healthy.

Umingmak

Oct 12, 2014
Wildeye Brewing
If he signs for 3-4 years, he could plausibly help Ottawa return to the playoffs and challenge for the Cup. There's a lot of good young talent on that roster, and with a few smart UFA signings, they could plausibly be a Wild Card team in the near future. Boston potentially getting worse if Bergeron retires opens that window.
This is true, though that division is going to be incredibly tough going forward. Toronto and Tampa will be good for a while. Detroit, Buffalo, Ottawa & Montreal have very bright futures. Florida is the only real question mark for me.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Giroux rejected Sakic’s attempts to acquire him but he’d like to play for Ottawa. Dude marches to the beat of his own drum. Odd ball.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Giroux rejected Sakic’s attempts to acquire him but he’d like to play for Ottawa. Dude marches to the beat of his own drum. Odd ball.

He has a house in Ottawa he just recently built and a condo downtown, all his friends and family are here. His parents live in Ottawa. He was born in Hearst and played his junior hockey in Gatineau which is basically Ottawa. He's getting older, has kids and I'm sure he wants to be close to his relatives. He spends his summers here. I've seen him many times around the city. Ottawa is his home, when he retires he will come back and live here.

Tell me how that's odd in any way shape or form...

Last edited:
Reactions: xVolchenkov

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
They scored 3 goals in 4 games against Tampa with the most stacked roster I’ve seen in a long time.
Tampa got swept by Columbus. Teams have to lose to learn to win. Id trade that roster for any team in the league outside of Tampa and Colorado.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Whether Ottawa or Edmonton, his cup chances are fairly similar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad