LeBrun: Senators emerging as legitimate option for Claude Giroux

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
You left out most important aspects for ottawa. This is home for him and his wife.
I think money and term out weigh home since he hasnt ever been there. If that was important he would have gone to Ottawa a long time ago.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think money and term out weigh home since he hasnt ever been there. If that was important he would have gone to Ottawa a long time ago.

That's a bit of an odd take.

You're saying he doesn't want to play at home because he's never played at home?

This really is his first opportunity to choose where he wants to play before he retires.

He's made ~$80M USD in career earnings, so it's about whether he wants to compete for a Cup right away or settle down with his children in a city that he loves.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

You're saying he doesn't want to play at home because he's never played at home?

This really is his first opportunity to choose where he wants to play before he retires.
no im saying its not the most important factor.

Reactions: NyQuil

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

Not really. He signed in Philly. This isn’t is first ufa turn.

But agreed a lot of players at 35 like to go home. Toronto has always been a retirement spot

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
no im saying its not the most important factor.

I guess only he really knows.

Not really. He signed in Philly. This isn’t is first ufa turn.

But agreed a lot of players at 35 like to go home. Toronto has always been a retirement spot

Well, that was kind of my point.

How many franchise players leave their franchise in their primes?

In general, the team makes the cap space available, they have an existing relationship with the team, and they want to compete with the team they helped build.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
You left out most important aspects for ottawa. This is home for him and his wife.

Didn't know that about him. Think that will matter a lot in the end. I'd say 'legitimate option' is true.

Granted there's a TON of Canadians in FL. Seasonal and full-time. Home is where you make it.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Would really be a great add for Ottawa and we could see them competing for a playoff spot as early as this year with all of their young talent. I suspect it will come down to going to a top contender for a chance at a Cup or going home to Ottawa to provide leadership on an up and coming young team. Money may be secondary at this point.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
You know, add in Giroux and that's not a bad team. Defense still needs work but free agency doesn't start until next week and they have some great prospects back there.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Any pictures of him in Senators’ Pyjamas as a kid?
chris-hansen-to-catch-a-predator-television-show-journalist-png-favpng-pQVvL3kW7AedP9jjjAjUJUKXq.jpg

Sens With Benefits

Feb 4, 2010
Canada
Giroux will decide between winning with Carolina but getting less term, a better chance to win with Edmonton but higher taxes, or money and term with taxes in Ottawa and lesser chance to win in Ottawa.
Not to mention playing in his home city. Where he spends his summers.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Would really be a great add for Ottawa and we could see them competing for a playoff spot as early as this year with all of their young talent.

I'm still not happy with our team defence, defensive corps and the unpredictability of our goaltending.

If our guys get hot, we could successfully outscore our problems, but that doesn't make for a consistent performance over the entire season.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Tkachuk-Stutzle-Batherson
Debrincat-Norris-Giroux
on paper nice. if you add cap figure to it, could get tight quickly.

tkachuk 8.2 - stützle 7.5 - batherson 5.0 - 20.7
debrincat 8.5 - norris 6.0 - giroux 6.0 - 20.5

around 41.2m for two lines won't allow much for depth

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Throw the sink at Giroux and Tkachuk.

Lot of dead weight coming off the books after this season. Even more space thereafter. Could compete immediately but skies the limit in 2 years or more.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
on paper nice. if you add cap figure to it, could get tight quickly.

tkachuk 8.2 - stützle 7.5 - batherson 5.0 - 20.7
debrincat 8.5 - norris 6.0 - giroux 6.0 - 20.5

around 41.2m for two lines won't allow much for depth

You might not even get Norris and Giroux at $6M apiece.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I mean this makes a helluva lot more sense than the Edmonton rumor. But I think he still stays in Florida at a discount. Or maybe Tampa. He wants a cup, Ottawa isn't there yet

How do you figure that? The Oilers just made the final four. Ottawa is still a few years away from that. Why do they make more sense for a 34 year old unrestricted free agent?

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
You might not even get Norris and Giroux at $6M apiece.
debrincat and stützle are one year out. i just didn't want to operate with inflated numbers to show the cap implications of such moves.

plenty of devils fan would love to make a run at gauderau, tkachuk or pastrnak. i think, if bratt sign long term close to 7m, the devils will have only room for one major (6+m) contract for a forward under the cap. and it's better not a 10m contract. everything else leads to an inbalanced team.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
People have been saying this since before the Flyers sent him to Florida. It all comes down to what’s most important to him. Either he wants to be close to family, or he wants to win the Cup. I really couldn’t fault him either way.

If he signs for 3-4 years, he could plausibly help Ottawa return to the playoffs and challenge for the Cup. There's a lot of good young talent on that roster, and with a few smart UFA signings, they could plausibly be a Wild Card team in the near future. Boston potentially getting worse if Bergeron retires opens that window.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
How do you figure that? The Oilers just made the final four. Ottawa is still a few years away from that. Why do they make more sense for a 34 year old unrestricted free agent?

Neither team is great, but at least Ottawa is close to home.

If he wants a contender he won't be coming anywhere in Canada

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad