GDT: Senators @ Devils - 7:00 PM - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

captainscott12

Jul 13, 2022
Debatable. Both teams has a lot. I like senators pool more, but on paper its close. I would call Sabres one dimensional. And I don't think they fixed it this year, quite opposite. But they have a lot of fire power.
I thought ott. looked pretty good last night they are pretty quick in their own right and jammed the devils up for long stretches of the game. was there live .. devils skill level is very very high.. but ott. looks like a sleeper team i wouldn't discount this team at all

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Man what a thriller.. Any news on Vanecek yet (don't have the time to read the whole thread just yet)? November just started and Devils have once again injured both their goalies, can't make this shit up. The silverlining is we got to see Schmid handle himself under pressure.

Ottawa's offence did not disappoint, pre-game I thought they'd have to score at least 4 to win. Incredible effort by the team (and Schmid) to survive that OT PP.

There's been a lot of back and forth between the fanbases on who has the best young talent, so I'm happy they managed to win this one and keep most of their top guys off the score board. I think that Ottawa team is gonna be a dominant force in the league once they get their D in order / more experience and better goaltending.
Ottawa's forward roster is surprisingly good. They just need to fill out their defense a bit. Right now it's just Chabot (who is getting ground into dust through coaching mismanagement) and Sanderson who looks like the real deal.

They need some Marinos/Siegenthalers to fill out that D-core and get everyone slotted where they need to be (which is easier said than done). Right now that D is a two man show. Signing Lyubushkin last summer would have done wonders for them. I could see them being pretty aggressive in making a push for Severson this summer because they are sorely lacking on the right side. Although their cap situation is not great at the moment.

And yeah, goaltending is the unicorn. 20 teams in the league need a goaltender. It's not a NJ thing, this is just how it is when you don't get a Hall of Famer for 20 years.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Ottawa's forward roster is surprisingly good. They just need to fill out their defense a bit. Right now it's just Chabot (who is getting ground into dust through coaching mismanagement) and Sanderson who looks like the real deal.

They need some Marinos/Siegenthalers to fill out that D-core and get everyone slotted where they need to be (which is easier said than done). Right now that D is a two man show. Signing Lyubushkin last summer would have done wonders for them. I could see them being pretty aggressive in making a push for Severson this summer because they are sorely lacking on the right side. Although their cap situation is not great at the moment.

And yeah, goaltending is the unicorn. 20 teams in the league need a goaltender. It's not a NJ thing, this is just how it is when you don't get a Hall of Famer for 20 years.

Wouldn’t surprise me if they are targeting Severson as a UFA add.

They are going to be a force real soon.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018

if you exclude like 5 forwards and 1 d-man, it's a AHL level roster on paper.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
6 years after he was drafted finally scoring some goals is great to see... Nico's 8 goals this season account for 11% of his career total after only 13 games..I suppose better late than never? Hopefully he can crack that 21 goal career high this year. Should get to 100 career goals this year in nearly 400 games

But I think it's totally awesome that he''s 4th in scoring from his draft class this year. Only behind Robertson, Pettersson and Suzuki this season with Makar approaching and Batherson right in the same neighborhood as well.
Wow, you sure showed him with that shade. Makar’s better! Who gives a shit? What does that have to do with our team at all? And past goal totals, your favorite thing on earth as we know.

Also the only time you ever seemly cared about a forward’s defense was when Jack started producing and then you suddenly cared a lot and wouldn’t stop taking about it.

You didn’t care when other guys were bad defensively and you pumped their tires, I’m taking about Zacha.

And I guess you don’t care that Nico is playing absolutely dominate two way hockey now, he’s been incredible. He absolutely deserves the Bergeron comparisons there.

Seeing it live it’s something else, it’s absolutely thrilling (if you like elite defense from a from a forward and I do).

I’m not going to debate Nico with you. Either you enjoy how great he is now or you’re inexplicably weird about him for no rational reason. You do you.

if you exclude like 5 forwards and 1 d-man, it's a AHL level roster on paper.
Zub is out and he’s a huge loss for them.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

Lyubushkin is getting 3rd pair minutes and is being cratered so far in Buffalo. It's early and he's been hurt also, but this guy doesn't fix anything for Ottawa. I agree that they will likely be interested in Severson if he hits the market. They'll buy out Zaitsev which will open up some space.

Mirka the Turka

Jesus loves you
Oct 20, 2022
I know its kinda bad to tinker with the lineup with these winning streaks but I really want to see the coaching staff put in Holtz or Johnsson in favor of Boqvist. And to drop down Haula to that line and give Hughes someone he could pass to that can put the puck in the net.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
They were friends of Shane Pinto. The TSN feed said he brought them to the game as it was a sort of homecoming for him since he’s from New York.

He put quite a show for them, he had a great game.
Debatable. Both teams has a lot. I like senators pool more, but on paper its close. I would call Sabres one dimensional. And I don't think they fixed it this year, quite opposite. But they have a lot of fire power.

If the Sens actually get anther top pick in this amazing draft and/or resigns DeBrincat AND finally get a GM (after the new owners fire Dorian’s ass if he’s still there) who understands team building more AND does more for the defense than luck into one great Russian FA signing AND has a coach who had them play more as a team, watch the f*** out.

They have elite pieces skill pieces, a future 1D in Sanderson, and a bunch of guys who can play heavy, get to the net hockey and score score score. Giroux is a fantastic vet leader and longtime Devils killer (I always liked him as a player, which is saying a lot because f*** the Flyers).

Buffalo has a great new coach, a way way better GM (not a high bar, but Adams is doing a real nice job too), and a shit ton of nice pieces with more coming, but I like the Sen top guys more too.

Reactions: My3Sons

Camille the Eel

I thought ott. looked pretty good last night they are pretty quick in their own right and jammed the devils up for long stretches of the game. was there live .. devils skill level is very very high.. but ott. looks like a sleeper team i wouldn't discount this team at all
Ottawa looks like us last year. Their defensive system is nowhere to be found. They are too aggressive and control your end better than they do their own or center ice. Their defensive personnel are not of the same quality as their forwards and as a team they’ve yet to learn how to win. They can stay on the bubble this year maybe; but as we found out last year, a succession of 5 or 6 game losing streaks can see you out of contention by the New Year.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Ottawa looks like us last year. Their defensive system is nowhere to be found. They are too aggressive and control your end better than they do their own or center ice. Their defensive personnel are not of the same quality as their forwards and as a team they’ve yet to learn how to win. They can stay on the bubble this year maybe; but as we found out last year, a succession of 5 or 6 game losing streaks can see you out of contention by the New Year.
Ottawa is one of the quickest teams we've played this season I think, but yea they aren't as cohesive as we are this season. They have the pieces where if they make a few good moves on top should take a big jump soon.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
6 years after he was drafted finally scoring some goals is great to see... Nico's 8 goals this season account for 11% of his career total after only 13 games..I suppose better late than never? Hopefully he can crack that 21 goal career high this year. Should get to 100 career goals this year in nearly 400 games

But I think it's totally awesome that he''s 4th in scoring from his draft class this year. Only behind Robertson, Pettersson and Suzuki this season with Makar approaching and Batherson right in the same neighborhood as well.
Jesus, what were you like as a kid on Christmas morning?

You know mom, super Nintendo is fine and all but I really would've preferred a Sega genesis.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I know its kinda bad to tinker with the lineup with these winning streaks but I really want to see the coaching staff put in Holtz or Johnsson in favor of Boqvist. And to drop down Haula to that line and give Hughes someone he could pass to that can put the puck in the net.

Ruff mentioned Holtz in his post-game interview.

He said they were working with him specifically on certain aspects of his game (pace basically) and then want to see how he does after that coaching and where he’s at now.

So it sure sounds like he’ll play soon and that approach could easily be better than just playing a bunch of minutes in Utica. It would be different if he didn’t already have a season down there last year but he did.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
He put quite a show for them, he had a great game.

If the Sens actually get anther top pick in this amazing draft and/or resigns DeBrincat AND finally get a GM (after the new owners fire Dorian’s ass if he’s still there) who understands team building more AND does more for the defense than luck into one great Russian FA signing AND has a coach who had them play more as a team, watch the f*** out.

They have elite pieces skill pieces, a future 1D in Sanderson, and a bunch of guys who can play heavy, get to the net hockey and score score score. Giroux is a fantastic vet leader and longtime Devils killer (I always liked him as a player, which is saying a lot because f*** the Flyers).

Buffalo has a great new coach, a way way better GM (not a high bar, but Adams is doing a real nice job too), and a shit ton of nice pieces with more coming, but I like the Sen top guys more too.

Sens are very interesting and dangerous. In fairness, I wait even better game from them before the season than from our club. But their defense isn`t as good as ours and Norris`s injury doesn`t help.
And it`s interesting because Devs can make step back when will start to use younger defensemen. I`m not telling it will gonna happen, I`m telling it could.

I like Sens more, especially because they have Sanderson, more two way forwards, and Buffalo always invested in skill. I was not a fan of Savoie, Ostlund and Kulich where they were picked, especially for the team that already have perimetr\offensive oriented players. But they still have great potential.
I'm not a fan of specific players (although I really like Tuch, Thompson and Peterka) as a team, but I understand that there are a lot of players with great potential there.
May be they want to trade someone for defenseman or defensive prospect? We have something.

Camille the Eel

Ottawa is one of the quickest teams we've played this season I think, but yea they aren't as cohesive as we are this season. They have the pieces where if they make a few good moves on top should take a big jump soon.
and get the coaching they need and consistent goal tending. We are finding out that the right assistant coaching is huge. You need a head coach willing to give the assistants the scope to work. But a lot of what we are doing right so far stems from a much better approach to the structure of our play: the break outs, the handling of assignments better in our end, the playing patiently with the lead, not coughing up games with 5 minutes left - the mental parts of the game.

Reactions: Blender

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta

Zub is an upcoming UFA for them . He is an important player for them and is a must sign guy for the Sens . Once they fill out their D core .. they will be a good team . Their forward group is very good . Missing Norris and DeBrincat is ice cold and slumping . Get those two going and they will score a lot . It’s keeping the puck out that’s an issue

and get the coaching they need and consistent goal tending. We are finding out that the right assistant coaching is huge. You need a head coach willing to give the assistants the scope to work. But a lot of what we are doing right so far stems from a much better approach to the structure of our play: the break outs, the handling of assignments better in our end, the playing patiently with the lead, not coughing up games with 5 minutes left - the mental parts of the game.
I have said fir awhile now that I think our assistants are doing an amazing job . Putting players in the right roles , situations , structure that gets more out of them . Naz was a likeable guy but he was a garbage coach .

captainscott12

Jul 13, 2022
good observation.. the underlying positive i see with the devils is I cant see this team losing a ton of games in a row. maybe a two or three game streak here or there where they still manage to sneak a point out etc. but they are playing very structured hockey right now.. hopefully louie domingue does not make his devils debut this year... but Schmidt was great in short work last night

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I actually have a couple of fond memories of Brian Burke at the 2010 Draft.

View attachment 606436

In round 3, I spotted Burke/Nonis having a conversation with a very animated Dean Lombardi. Since it was by Central Registry, I thought a big trade (Tomas Kaberle) was about to go down. But it ended up being a more insignificant one. LA traded a 3rd rounder (#79) to Toronto for a 2012 3rd. Through some other intel, I think LA wanted to draft Radko Gudas who they had at their previous summer prospect camp as an undrafted invite. Gudas had a good year in the WHL afterwards. Tampa took him #66.

View attachment 606437

And then in the fourth round, I spotted Brian Burke walking table to table shopping Toronto's 4th rounder (#112). Eventually he found a taker with Washington who traded up for Philipp Grubauer.

Might have been a 'you had to be there' moment, but there was something comical about Burke walking up to a table and asking "you want my 4th?", getting turned down, and proceeding to the next table.

I actually sort of remembered this story, you posted that photo before which is the kicker for me (it’s definitely comical to me too, congrats you found your audience for NHL draft-based humor), which is why I came up with Burke from the depths of my half melted brain.

2010 was just a good guess, but it had to be more recent and there weren’t that many recent years with Burke GMing to choose from.

Not going to lie, slightly disappointed you have no specific sandwich info though.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I have said fir awhile now that I think our assistants are doing an amazing job . Putting players in the right roles , situations , structure that gets more out of them . Naz was a likeable guy but he was a garbage coach .

I have certain issues with Fitz but how he’s built the defense and the AC hiring are looking stellar.

Shero went to war in 2019-20 with a revamped roster with John Hynes yet again, assisted by Nasreddine and Rick f***ing Kowalsky for some reason.

Kowalsky one claim to fame was coaching are almost never good AHL teams.

He got hired as an Assistant Coach the Bridgeport Islanders in 2021-22 though, so that’s nice.

Reactions: Bleedred
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad