Post-Game Talk: Senators def. Canucks - 4-3 (SO) (Miller, Boeser, Dermott)

Status
Not open for further replies.

platotld

Fly Canucks Fly
Jun 18, 2014
Fraser valley
The Stutzle/Norris/Tkachuk combo is a pretty lethal one for Ottawa. Win or lose, they find ways to get pucks into the net. Shutting them down / minimizing their impact is going to be huge.

Big question heading into tonight - do the Canucks chance starting Halak? We have a tough road trip coming up, and this is the second half of a back to back.
No, no they don't or so I hope. What good is rest, it's win now .. rest when you are done and out.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
No, no they don't or so I hope. What good is rest, it's win now .. rest when you are done and out.
Every goalie needs a break, be it physical or mental. Vancouver to close out the year played on Mon, Tue, Thur, Sat, Tue, Thur, Fri. 7 games in 12 days with 2 sets of 3 games in 4 nights.
I would imagine that Halak gets either the Min ir Cal game.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
I thought they were saying on the post-game show that the Canucks actually now of 'control' their playoff destiny. If they win out the rest of the way, they're 'in'.

They have a game in hand on Vegas and the Kings, and they play L.A. in the final game of the season. And if they beat the Kings, they'd own the playoff tie-breaker because of a better head-to-head record.
Canucks are in good shape if it comes to a tiebreaker with the Kings but head-to-head results are only third in the tiebreaking process. Regulation wins, then regulation + OT wins, then HTH.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Canucks are currently tied with the Kings for RW (regulation wins) and one back for ROW. So an outright win against the Sens and a outright loss for the Kings resolves that.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
If we win out we make the playoffs. It's guaranteed with the Vegas loss last night.

I thought they were saying on the post-game show that the Canucks actually now of 'control' their playoff destiny. If they win out the rest of the way, they're 'in'.

They have a game in hand on Vegas and the Kings, and they play L.A. in the final game of the season. And if they beat the Kings, they'd own the playoff tie-breaker because of a better head-to-head record.

The Canucks only control their destiny over Vegas, not the other teams. The issue is they aren't chasing Vegas. Canucks need several losses from LA, Nashville, and/or Dallas to have a shot. It's more likely LA wins out, rather than the Canucks, given the strength of schedules.

Vancouver:
86 points - 6 games (12p) = 98 max
Senators, @ Wild, @ Flames, Kraken, Kings, @ Oilers
2 non-playoff teams, 3 playoff teams, and the team they are chasing.

Los Angeles:
90 points - 5 games (10p) = 100 max
@ Ducks, Blackhawks, Ducks, @ Kraken, @ Canucks
4 non-playoff teams, and the team that is chasing them

Nashville:
91 points - 6 games (12p) = 103 max
Flames, @ Lightning, Wild, Flames, @ Avalanche, @ Coyotes
1 non-playoff team, 5 strong playoff teams

Dallas:
@ Oilers, @ Flames, Kraken, Golden Knights, Coyotes, Ducks
3 non-playoff teams, 2 playoff teams, and the team that is chasing them

Vegas:
87 points - 5 games (10p) = 97 max
Capitals, Sharks, @ Stars, @ Blackhawks, @ Blues
2 non-playoff teams, 2 playoff teams, and the team they are chasing

Given how the schedules work out, Nashville will have the hardest time and the Kings have the easiest. I'd rank it something like this; from easiest to hardest.

1) Los Angeles
2) Dallas
3) Vancouver
4) Vegas
5) Nashville

With Los Angeles and Nashville being very different than the three in the middle.

Edit: In terms of tie-breakers, the Kings currently have the tie-breaker over the Canucks (31 RW each but LA has 36 ROW compared to Vancouver's 35 ROW). Nashville and Dallas also hold the tie-breaker over the Canucks (35/41 and 33/37). Canucks have the RW tie-breaker over Dallas (31 to 29) but less ROW (35 to 39).

I'm not sure where the narrative is that the Canucks hold the tie-breakers since they are behind everyone but Dallas. It does show that the Canucks don't just need wins but need regulation wins or, failing that, OT wins.

Last edited:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The Canucks only control their destiny over Vegas, not the other teams. The issue is they aren't chasing Vegas. Canucks need several losses from LA, Nashville, and/or Dallas to have a shot. It's more likely LA wins out, rather than the Canucks, given the strength of schedules.

Vancouver:

Los Angeles:

Nashville:

Dallas:

Vegas:

Given how the schedules work out, Nashville will have the hardest time and the Kings have the easiest. I'd rank it something like this; from easiest to hardest.

1) Los Angeles
2) Dallas
3) Vancouver
4) Vegas
5) Nashville

With Los Angeles and Nashville being very different than the three in the middle.

Edit: In terms of tie-breakers, the Kings currently have the tie-breaker over the Canucks (31 RW each but LA has 36 ROW compared to Vancouver's 35 ROW). Nashville and Dallas also hold the tie-breaker over the Canucks (35/41 and 33/37). Canucks have the RW tie-breaker over Dallas (31 to 29) but less ROW (35 to 39).

I'm not sure where the narrative is that the Canucks hold the tie-breakers since they are behind everyone but Dallas. It does show that the Canucks don't just need wins but need regulation wins or, failing that, OT wins.
They hold their own destiny in the sense that if they win out they make the playoffs. By definition that means LA loses their game to Vancouver.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017

The tiebreaker isn't now, it's at the end of the season and if the Canucks and Kings finish tied it's nigh-on impossible that the Canucks would've made up four points on the Kings without altering the tiebreaking procedure into their favour. I've seen no narrative about the Canucks being in good shape against teams other than Dallas and Los Angeles.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
The tiebreaker isn't now, it's at the end of the season and if the Canucks and Kings finish tied it's nigh-on impossible that the Canucks would've made up four points on the Kings without altering the tiebreaking procedure into their favour. I've seen no narrative about the Canucks being in good shape against teams other than Dallas and Los Angeles.

The tie-breaker was brought up multiple times in last night's broadcast and is talked about a lot on here.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
The tie-breaker was brought up multiple times in last night's broadcast and is talked about a lot on here.
I've seen or heard no narrative that the Canucks are going to win the tiebreaker against teams besides Dallas and Los Angeles. And the tiebreaker with the Kings was the point of discussion in this thread.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016

Vancouver:

Los Angeles:

Nashville:

Dallas:

Vegas:

1) Los Angeles
2) Dallas
3) Vancouver
4) Vegas
5) Nashville

Thanks for this! It shows just how tough it still would be for us to make the playoffs.

Along with LA, Nashville might be catchable as one could see them go 3-3 or even 2-4 due to their tough schedule.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
I thought Demko would play tonight, but it's confirmed that Halak is in. If we keep that same relentless play from last night, minus the SH goal, we should pull it off. I realize this playoff run could end any day now, but I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad