GDT: Senators @ Blue Jackets | Race to the Bottom Edition | Thu Mar 14 2024, 7PM | TSN5, RDS2

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Good game from the Senators even though it didn’t help the tank. They were down quickly after an early 1st period goal, but battled back.

Stutzle, Giroux & Forsberg amongst others with real good games.

Our replacement and bottom defenders seem to be holding up and the team D was playing with some structure which I’m sure makes JM happy.

Insane diving save from Forsberg on Texier. Goalies have actually been decent the last 3 or 4 games.

Reactions: Dionysus

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Good game from the Senators even though it didn’t help the tank. They were down quickly after an early 1st period goal, but battled back.

Stutzle, Giroux & Forsberg amongst others with real good games.

Our replacement and bottom defenders seem to be holding up and the team D was playing with some structure which I’m sure makes JM happy.

Insane diving save from Forsberg on Texier. Goalies have actually been decent the last 3 or 4 games.
The same game can look very different when a goalie play decent as opposed to when they let in 5 goals on the first 13 shots.

Reactions: DrEasy

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Goes to show you what Giroux knows about hockey. Brannstrom is useless and we need to move on from him. :loony:

Reactions: WallyD

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Goes to show you what Giroux knows about hockey. Brannstrom is useless and we need to move on from him. :loony:
I wouldn’t say Brannstrom is useless at all but with our logjam at the left side (especially with Kleven coming), he seems like a good piece to move along and fetch something valuable. But his value needs to be increased so he ends the season well and can boost his trade value

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
The same game can look very different when a goalie play decent as opposed to when they let in 5 goals on the first 13 shots.

Shot location and what happens prior to a shot matters.

vs CBJ 2 goals on 37 shots
vs DET 5 goals on 23 shots
vs SJS 4 goals on 18 shots

Attachments

• OTTvsCBJ 3-14.png
    OTTvsCBJ 3-14.png
    24.7 KB · Views: 3
  • OTT vs DET 10-21.png
    OTT vs DET 10-21.png
    24.1 KB · Views: 2
  • OTT vs SJS 1-13.png
    OTT vs SJS 1-13.png
    22.5 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: WallyD and K1900L

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Shot location and what happens prior to a shot matters.

vs CBJ 2 goals on 37 shots
vs DET 5 goals on 23 shots
vs SJS 4 goals on 18 shots
Actually asking. Are those expected goals for the team shooting? If so. Detroit and San Jose out scoring their expected goals by a little bit.

When the team has an expect goals of 2.5. And they scored 4…hm. Looks like that might be in the goalie.

Washington had expected goals of 1.4. Scored 5. I dono.

Tale of the season

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Actually asking. Are those expected goals for the team shooting? If so. Detroit and San Jose out scoring their expected goals by a little bit.

When the team has an expect goals of 2.5. And they scored 4…hm. Looks like that might be in the goalie.

Washington had expected goals of 1.4. Scored 5. I dono.

Tale of the season

xGA is a cumulative stat which includes missed shots, it shouldn't be used to evaluate a goaltender, especially on a game by game basis. Of course a game with 60 fenwick attempts is going to have a higher xG than games with 33 and 25. What I'm trying to illustarte is where the shots on goal are coming from. Despite the shot totals, CBJ had less shots from dangerous areas of the ice.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Seriously, what a massive waste and a boat full of broken promises to G from goofy Dorion. Why the hell are these losers pulling off wins now? Such a bad taste left in my mouth this year.
As in you want them to try and lose? As others have pointed out, we just ended a 7 game losing streak, and beat a couple shit teams. If you expect this group to lose every game on out you’re going to be disappointed.

I wouldn’t worry about G and broken promises. He warned us all the day he got here that this was a young team and it was going take work to take the next step. He’s likely as disappointed as the rest of the guys, but I highly doubt that he’s surprised or feels duped.

Anyways, loser talk in the GDT is super lame in my opinion. I think tank talk should be reserved for thread that aren’t active game threads. We actually had ass hat comments booing the win as it happened.

Talk about a loser mentality.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

Giroux is a team first guy. He praised and defended DJ wholeheartedly here too. He is a professional first and knows how to uplift his team. Don't mean much in terms of whats actually best for the team moving forward.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Giroux is a team first guy. He praised and defended DJ wholeheartedly here too. He is a professional first and knows how to uplift his team. Don't mean much in terms of whats actually best for the team moving forward.
So he was just trying to lift brannstrom's spirits then?

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
Ya, I love Giroux and trust his judgement over the naysayers and haters.

IMO, Branny is a very decent D who can advance the puck, skates very well, makes plays (I like him on the PP). I consider him a very inexpensive asset at that contract value. It would be dumb to trade or move off him unless they get a bigger equally capable D in return, not just a big body. Of all the D, Branny is NOT the defensive issue back there. He and Zub are great to pair with strong D. Another strong quality is that he can (and has) easily step up to fill-in for any injured D, he's not stuck in one spot and he did that all year. He pairs well with good D and does not turn partners into frantic boat anchors. One more plus - he can move up to play forward, and to my mind he didn't look like a duck out of water there. I acknowledge that he is on the small side for a D which presents issues clearing big bodies out of the net front. I would like to see the Sens trainers develop a program for him to bulk him up a bit, providing that does not adversely diminish other qualities like speed and mobility. Maybe I should be his agent, but I have no issue just being a member of his fan club.

Reactions: DrEasy and JD1

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
So he was just trying to lift brannstrom's spirits then?
Yes. And he has also been playing well lately.

Generally players don’t know much. They’re dudes that play hockey but they not hockey savants.

I’ve mentioned this before but I have it from a very close second hand source that karlsson thought Colin white was unreal when he first joined the team.

if they were alll so brilliant they would all become world class coaches and GMs.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I like Brannstrom but I'm not attached to him. He's not a player that makes a difference (typically) in getting wins or losses. If he's playing in your top 4 every night you're in trouble. He's just an odd package of a player. Good in transition, positionally and quick at retrieving pucks while being very small and easily handled in key areas of the DZone and not particularly effective in the Ozone.

He would be best served playing bigger minutes on a really thin defense where there are no expectations for him. He's definitely a NHLer and there's no doubt about it but I wouldn't bat an eye if he was replaced.

Much bigger issues on this team to be addressed. Keeping or trading Branny will not make a difference IMO.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Branny has some great rushes and some skate around in the offensive zone that look great, but everything just seems to die without any points.

If he could find a way to score, or make that great passing play to score, he’d be a lot more valuable.

As of right now though there is a lot of flash with little dash.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad