Post-Game Talk: Senators at Flyers | November 12, 2022 |

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
Same old Allison. I knew it was too good to be true. Chalk up another wasted high draft pick due to either injury or flat out inept drafting ability. This is probably the most games in a row he has played.....

Reactions: BernieParent

Nizzle

no hope, no future, no second chance
May 13, 2009
My favourite part was when the sens announcer said that tkachuk looks like a leader
xdKvvPgfiq8gQdAN6mGqmCaUfw2RAg_0SzoL2jr-Z4c.jpg

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
The goalie is probably playing over his talent, the rest of the team........ well, there's not a lot of talent I guess. The Flyers are at the bottom in goals scored, don't care about your fancy metrics, then can't score. Without Hart, they're a horrid team.
Pretty sure Hart is playing above the talent of any goalie ever, at least stat-wise. Feel bad for the kid. Like G before him, he deserves better.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
This one reads like it wasn't very much fun, which says a lot considering the way this season has gone
i only tuned in for last 5 mins..

forgot it was a early game.. just in time to see the EN beauty..

it was kinda fun..

for wrong reasons of course... and to see Torts squirm in his presser

he just screams "guy who hates his job" already

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
im not jumping on torts' wagon, but what is the use of adjusting wih this line up? there is really no point, other then the things he is doing, like mixing the lines up and trying to catch a spark. i still think he is evaluating, and as the season goes on i think alot of players ice time will go down a little i hope, especially with some players returning, if they do. i just hope 15 from now torts desnt prove me wrong and keeps players where they dont belong after that amount of time.
MacEwen 1.64 pp/60, xGF 41.77%, xGFrel -1.09
Frost 0.94 pp/60. xGF 38.93%, xGFrel -5.28
Just sayin'
And it ain't like playing with Sedlak is any better than playing with Laczynski.

No more excuses, Morgan. JUST DO IT.

There is a lot of mixing and matching going on and it will probably continue for another month or so with the injuries.
Then in the spring they'll start auditioning LHV players, then trading JVR and Braun will open a couple slots at the TDL,
Gauthier will probably go pro and get some games in March, can Andrae come over after his SHL season?

Everyone is going to be playing with someone who is limited or struggling, whether it's Deslauriers, MacEwen, Sedlak, Laughton, etc.
There are no proven scorers or elite players to carry a linemate this year.
When you're on an energy line, show energy, when you're on a facsimile of a scoring line, score.

it was kinda fun..

When he took over in TB, it was to preside over a 59 point season. The next season they got to 71.
When he took over 8 games into the season in CBJ, it ended up as a 76 point season.

Been there, done that.
I doubt anything that has happened has surprised Torts, other than the play of Hart.

Reactions: renberg

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Same old Allison. I knew it was too good to be true. Chalk up another wasted high draft pick due to either injury or flat out inept drafting ability. This is probably the most games in a row he has played.....
It was a late 2nd. Most of those picks play less than Allison had.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
One of the hallmarks of the last few seasons was the fundamentally unsound play. They’ve been playing horrible hockey for a while. The biggest problem that Torts faces, aside from the obvious lack of talent, is breaking these guys from this. The lack of support for each other; the senseless passes; dumb penalties; and so forth. On top of this is the fact that none of this has been dealt with at LHV. Lappy needs to be dumped and some coaches installed there that will stress the basics.
They’re just a no talent club that plays shitty hockey. There’s not much that Torts or Scotty Bowman could do with this pile of drek. Torts realizes this and we fans need to as well.

• Haha
Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
One of the hallmarks of the last few seasons was the fundamentally unsound play. They’ve been playing horrible hockey for a while. The biggest problem that Torts faces, aside from the obvious lack of talent, is breaking these guys from this. The lack of support for each other; the senseless passes; dumb penalties; and so forth. On top of this is the fact that none of this has been dealt with at LHV. Lappy needs to be dumped and some coaches installed there that will stress the basics.
They’re just a no talent club that plays shitty hockey. There’s not much that Torts or Scotty Bowman could do with this pile of drek. Torts realizes this and we fans need to as well.
Thompson has alluded to this, one thing they're trying to break players out of is blindly throwing the puck up the boards where pinching D-men can keep it in the D-zone. But I saw that again and again, because that's been coached for a decade in Philly, you're not going to break habits in one month.

Same with the cross ice passes, they don't want the puck moving sideways where all you can do is at best get stuck, at worst turn it over. Either hit a teammate ahead of you or dump it in, but keep the puck moving forward.

Same with the cycle, they like to send D-men in, but that means forwards have to cover for them and know their responsibilities until the D-man gets back.

This will take time to fix, right how I think Torts wants the kids playing with energy, and they'll work on fixing their mistakes, effort is under the player's control, breaking bad habits will take time.

Some of the problems is they've done so much mixing and matching on lines, combined with a new scheme and general inexperience, that missed passes, being out of position, etc., is inevitable at this time. Which is why I'm focused on whether they show improvement the next month or so as they get more familar with each other and their responsibilities.

Supposedly, Shaw is working intensively with Risto, his last three games, xGF 65.67%. We'll see if this is a fluke or sustainable.

Reactions: renberg

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
MacEwen 1.64 pp/60, xGF 41.77%, xGFrel -1.09
Frost 0.94 pp/60. xGF 38.93%, xGFrel -5.28
Just sayin'
And it ain't like playing with Sedlak is any better than playing with Laczynski.

No more excuses, Morgan. JUST DO IT.

There is a lot of mixing and matching going on and it will probably continue for another month or so with the injuries.
Then in the spring they'll start auditioning LHV players, then trading JVR and Braun will open a couple slots at the TDL,
Gauthier will probably go pro and get some games in March, can Andrae come over after his SHL season?

Everyone is going to be playing with someone who is limited or struggling, whether it's Deslauriers, MacEwen, Sedlak, Laughton, etc.
There are no proven scorers or elite players to carry a linemate this year.
When you're on an energy line, show energy, when you're on a facsimile of a scoring line, score.

When he took over in TB, it was to preside over a 59 point season. The next season they got to 71.
When he took over 8 games into the season in CBJ, it ended up as a 76 point season.

Been there, done that.
I doubt anything that has happened has surprised Torts, other than the play of Hart.

How much time did MacEwen spend with Deslauriers?

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne

it was kinda fun..

I tell ya, I could see him resigning before the team would ever fire him. I legitimately do think it's a worse situation than he expected when he took the job. Those "serious problems in this room" comments from before the season kind of carried some palpable early frustration. Wonder if they soft-peddled the Ellis/Couts situations at all to him, too.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Vancouver.
This is a totally different situation. This is a mess that has been created through incompetent indifference to sound hockey for almost a decade. Hakstol saw it and had no clue as to how to fix it since too many players saw him as being nothing more than a Joe College joke. Vigneault could have cared. He had his paycheck. Now Torts has been brought in to clean up the mess.
Sure it’s worse than he imagined. It’s the worst that it’s been in the history of the franchise. It’s going to take time and work. Some of you guys can rag on him all that you want but he’s the best person in the organization to fix this mess. Fletcher, Flahr and Lappy sure aren’t going to do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: dats81

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I was repeatedly told that we had to ignore Tortorella's Vancouver disaster.

I am not convinced we should.
The Sedins ran the locker room and undermined anything that Torts wanted to do. Their tentacles are still entrenched into that franchise and are as noxious as the BBs are here. The Canuck’s are possibly in a worse situation than the Flyers long term.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Frost is scoring at 1.34 P/60. Higher than Cates despite getting much worse linemates. Laughton is at paltry 0.6 despite averaging 1.93 over the previous three seasons, which shows how dumb it is to judge a forward’s scoring ability just by the 14 games of this season. Especially a forward getting buried on the 4th line by a dinosaur coach who has no clue how to get a team to score consistently in the modern NHL.

Last edited:

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Shrugs. I’m not worked up about the game at all.

They aren’t a good team, I’m well aware of it, & I expect a season of ups & downs.

The game was mostly entertaining, they played hard, & probably had the better of the play.

It was disappointing that they continue to shoot themselves in the foot with dumb mistakes — in today’s case careless penalties, other times it’s been low percentage plays & turnovers.

But they’ve got a lot of bad habits to break & it’s a work in progress. Like Torts said, it’s not a quick fix. My expectations are appropriately tepid, & I am unbothered as long as I see effort along the way.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Well, at least the town hall in February will be in interesting. I expect STHs will want Schmuck's head on a platter and Dave Scott might not have any choice in the matter. He's gonna break Bobby Clarke's heart.....lol

No it wont. It never is. Only idiots get to ask questions. They'll keep getting away with it. The Flyers are dead.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The Sedins ran the locker room and undermined anything that Torts wanted to do. Their tentacles are still entrenched into that franchise and are as noxious as the BBs are here. The Canuck’s are possibly in a worse situation than the Flyers long term.

So who is undermining him this time? Who is forcing him to make bad usage decisions and evaluations?

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
"lol they show a graphic comparing Giroux to Clarke as if Clarke didn’t play against gym teachers and bus drivers."

View attachment 606940
This is a terrible take. Clarke is an All Time Great, Giroux is great and a possible HOFer. Clarke was a no doubt about it HOFer. And I love Giroux too. You can’t compare eras they way this take does. The players today don’t have to have off season jobs, and in Clarke’s day they really didn’t either. The big difference is the training theses guys get today, nutrition, skills, skating, all year training. If the players of past eras had that, they would be as skilled and fit as the players of today, and the great players back then would still be great players today. If Bobby Clarke had the nutrition, physical training, skill training, skating instruction, he would still be a high end top line center, as good as the stud centers of today like Crosby, McKinnon, Bergeron. In fact he would probably be better than Bergeron. Essentially the same player but with more edge and drive ( not to say Bergeron doesn’t have that, he does, but Clarke was another level, and I have seen both play).

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
It’s just hard to watch Frost being sewered. When is the last time a teammate made a play for him, in his 5 minutes a game? That opened him up and created space? It’s hard to be noticeable as a non-star when every play fizzles.

I’ve always liked Laczynski as a depth player, but he’s at his best below the other team’s goal line — and he might just be a good 4th liner who can play up. He’s still trying to stick in the NHL. I don’t think I’ve watched Deslauriers not just chip a puck around the wall, in any zone. How does a chain passer and off puck shooter work with that? Tippett had a very noticeable game, even if his finish fails him and mostly feasting on turnovers, but I can tell you exactly how he’d look with Frost’s usage. I’m okay with cycling young guys and letting them fail or succeed in prime usage, but good god, at least give them equal opportunities. This is the developmental doldrums.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It’s just hard to watch Frost being sewered. When is the last time a teammate made a play for him, in his 5 minutes a game? That opened him up and created space? It’s hard to be noticeable as a non-star when every play fizzles.

I’ve always liked Laczynski as a depth player, but he’s at his best below the other team’s goal line — and he might just be a good 4th liner who can play up. He’s still trying to stick in the NHL. I don’t think I’ve watched Deslauriers not just chip a puck around the wall, in any zone. How does a chain passer and off puck shooter work with that? Tippett had a very noticeable game, even if his finish fails him and mostly feasting on turnovers, but I can tell you exactly how he’d look with Frost’s usage. I’m okay with cycling young guys and letting them fail or succeed in prime usage, but good god, at least give them equal opportunities. This is the developmental doldrums.

Frost and Laczynski routinely spend a shift in the offensive zone after pushing up ice, making plays to each other and dmen while Deslauriers is not open for even one second as an option for a play. He is as detrimental on offense as Thompson or VDV. They're a man down on offense when he's on the ice.

And Frost gets blamed for not making that work? Reminds me of TK getting blamed for not lighting it up on the 4th line with slobs. Lessons never learned.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad