Post-Game Talk: Senators 3, Leafs 2. Reimer not enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Quite a sloppy game. Not impressed by most of the team, especially the first two periods. JVR looks great, Colborne looked poor. Ranger's worst game of preseason, IMO. Reimer was a monster, 37 saves or 37 shots? Defense didn't look too solid. Rielly looked good. Was hoping one of the youngsters trying to make the team would show more.

Ottawa made the most of their chances, some good bounces. They passed and controlled the puck better. Lehner with some nice saves.

Yeah we played sloppy but if we actually put a full line-up we might play a lot better. Having guys like Devane, Broll, Brodie. etc playing minutes this team isn't going anywhere. We have two games left, time to send these guys down and get with the program on the real team. Auditions are over.

I'd like us to play a bit more defensively sound, I love what Gardiner is doing but I just find our D-men are talking needless chances. Everytime one of our D-men had the puck they were rushing it up the ice it seemed. Just make a simple first pass out of the zone or get it deep. Also the forwards weren't paying attention when Gardiner or someone was pinching in, they have to stay focused and get back to cover. Way too many odd man rushes. Ugly game in general outside of Reimer.

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
Yeah we played sloppy but if we actually put a full line-up we might play a lot better. Having guys like Devane, Broll, Brodie. etc playing minutes this team isn't going anywhere. We have two games left, time to send these guys down and get with the program on the real team. Auditions are over.

The Senators were missing Karlsson, Spezza, Michalek, Ryan, Phillips and Anderson. Their team was missing a far greater number of important pieces and regulars than ours was last night. We just played a lousy game, end of story. Though, I do agree with you. Time to cut the scrubs and get serious.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

I'd like us to play a bit more defensively sound, I love what Gardiner is doing but I just find our D-men are talking needless chances. Everytime one of our D-men had the puck they were rushing it up the ice it seemed. Just make a simple first pass out of the zone or get it deep. Also the forwards weren't paying attention when Gardiner or someone was pinching in, they have to stay focused and get back to cover. Way too many odd man rushes. Ugly game in general outside of Reimer.

Only player they could have added was Raymond, otherwise that is the best line-up they could ice.

Bolland - injured
Kessel - suspended

Unless you think someone like Orr would have made a huge difference.

TBH, the Ranger-Rielly pairing is likely the reason they lost the game.

Perhaps Liles in for one of Rielly, Ranger would have been better.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Gardiner has looked like a star so far in pre-season like he did in that Boston series. He's literally all over the ice at all times and just looks so dominant. Not only that but he has been great defensively. The only thing you can really knock him on are some of his turnovers but when you do the things he does and handles the puck as much as him, that's fine IMO. Kid looks so special.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Only player they could have added was Raymond, otherwise that is the best line-up they could ice.

Bolland - injured
Kessel - suspended

Unless you think someone like Orr would have made a huge difference.

TBH, the Ranger-Rielly pairing is likely the reason they lost the game.

Perhaps Liles in for one of Rielly, Ranger would have been better.

They showed a stat during the game that Leafs had the 2nd most give-aways last year behind only Edmonton in the league.

Yesterday they showed why they earned that recognition, and if not for Reimer this game would have been a lot more lopsided then it already was.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Gardiner has looked like a star so far in pre-season like he did in that Boston series. He's literally all over the ice at all times and just looks so dominant. Not only that but he has been great defensively. The only thing you can really knock him on are some of his turnovers but when you do the things he does and handles the puck as much as him, that's fine IMO. Kid looks so special.

He was paired with Fraser, and Fraser played 20:27 without really being noticed.

Kudos to Fraser for playing that role again.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
They showed a stat during the game that Leafs had the 2nd most give-aways last year behind only Edmonton in the league.

Yesterday they showed why they earned that recognition, and if not for Reimer this game would have been a lot more lopsided then it already was.

They weren't good enough, that's for certain.

Let's hope they are healthy to start the season.

It would have been nice to see some prospect not named Joe Colborne get all the opportunities he has, but we understand the clock is ticking.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
They weren't good enough, that's for certain.

Let's hope they are healthy to start the season.

It would have been nice to see some prospect not named Joe Colborne get all the opportunities he has, but we understand the clock is ticking.

Leafs are going to be a real battle for a playoff spot in the east this year so health is certainly going to play a part and key to our success.

We've seen teams like Ottawa make the playoffs missing their 3 best players for most of the season. Yesterday they sat them out and still outplayed the Leafs by a fair margin.

If the Leafs would have missed Kessel, Phaneuf and Reimer for most of last year we would be evaluating Nathan MacKinnon and not Joe Colborne this preseason.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
2nd goal was kicked in.

Reimer was great. Everyone else was meh.

Going with "emotionally drained" for 1000, Alex

Smiths 5 hole goal was iffy as well, he got sprung by way of a pick at the Leafs blueline, should've been a call on it perhaps, but hey it's also pre-season for the mice

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

Yeah, the giveaways don't bother me -- they're not usually one-on-one turnovers in the defensive zone, they're usually from him throwing up a stretch pass to a streaking forward or something similar. Those are high-reward passes and he has the skill to hit them more often than not, so I'm fine with the occasional collateral.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
Both Reimer and Bernier seem to be in mid-season form. Very impressed by what i've seen of them this preseason.

I thought Lehner had a rock solid game as well, wouldn't be surprised to see him steal the #1 spot this year.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
The Senators were missing Karlsson, Spezza, Michalek, Ryan, Phillips and Anderson. Their team was missing a far greater number of important pieces and regulars than ours was last night. We just played a lousy game, end of story. Though, I do agree with you. Time to cut the scrubs and get serious.

This was a game between an NHL roster vs a AHL+ roster but the NHLers are getting in their reps while the AHLers are giving their best.

If the Leafs had 2 points on the line, they would have won.

(I'm a Sens fan)

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Were you saying this when everybody was hyping Frattin despite him doing very little at the nhl level? His potential that he's shown in bunches and that can be seen when you watch him without a predetermined negative slant makes him an asset. If he doesn't make it in Toronto I can see him playing somewhere on an nhl team in a year. He looks good on the boards, has improved his game off the puck and makes smart passes. Granted I've only watched two of the pre-season games, but I saw that against Ottawa last time. Really don't think he's getting a fair judgement here. Not looking good for him here though, shame.

What does Frattin who was a late round draft pick and left the game for a year have in common with Colborne .

No one doubts Colborne has the skill/size to play in the league but he seems to lack the desire/effort needed to make the jump . How many years can people keep saying he needs one more year to develop ?

I still think he'll break camp with the team and will be given a decent shot to prove himself before the Leafs waive/trade him ( 4th-5th rd pick ? ) .

Also , why would I or anyone else have a predetermined negative slant toward him or any of our prospects ?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Smiths 5 hole goal was iffy as well, he got sprung by way of a pick at the Leafs blueline, should've been a call on it perhaps, but hey it's also pre-season for the mice

Meh, last year that would of been a save. He and every other goalie are still adjusting to the much shorter pads

Penalty Kill Icing*

Incorrect. Realtime stats (giveaway, takeaway, shots, blocks) are very subjective; and depends a LOT on the guy in arena that calculates those.

That is why, I use away game stats as all arenas are somewhat averaged in those stats. At home, Leafs had 405 giveaways, away from home they had 149.

Doesn`t take rocket science to figure that guy at ACC isn`t on same page with stats guys of other 29 teams. :laugh:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Incorrect. Realtime stats (giveaway, takeaway, shots, blocks) are very subjective; and depends a LOT on the guy in arena that calculates those.

That is why, I use away game stats as all arenas are somewhat averaged in those stats. At home, Leafs had 405 giveaways, away from home they had 149.

Doesn`t take rocket science to figure that guy at ACC isn`t on same page with stats guys of other 29 teams. :laugh:

Apparently we had an average of 10 givaways at home :laugh:

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Gardiner set to explode...

We didn't let him play much last year. He is about to explode and will need a major raise soon.Thankfully we only have to sign Phaneuff,Kessel,Reimer as well.

Penalty Kill Icing*

I am liking Fraser`s game because I can hardly notice him. For a guy like him, the lesser you notice him, better he is playing.

Ranger had a bad, bad game.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
This was a game between an NHL roster vs a AHL+ roster but the NHLers are getting in their reps while the AHLers are giving their best.

If the Leafs had 2 points on the line, they would have won.

(I'm a Sens fan)

Leafs AHL team won, Sens AHL team won. It's no surprise that these NHLers who have already secured their spot are just trying to get into a groove while the AHLers are fighting to earn theirs.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Leafs are going to be a real battle for a playoff spot in the east this year so health is certainly going to play a part and key to our success.

We've seen teams like Ottawa make the playoffs missing their 3 best players for most of the season. Yesterday they sat them out and still outplayed the Leafs by a fair margin.

and the leafs kids beat the Sens' regulars last thursday.

If the Leafs would have missed Kessel, Phaneuf and Reimer for most of last year we would be evaluating Nathan MacKinnon and not Joe Colborne this preseason.

er, the leafs WERE missing Lupul and Gardiner for most of last year, and Reimer for a good chunk of it, and were a top-10 team in the league.

heh. the leafs lose their first regulation exhibition game, and suddenly they suck. The leafs' 4-1-1 record is the best record in the preseason right now, and losing a one 1-gl game which they almost tied at the end there doesn't mean they suck.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
heh. the leafs lose their first regulation exhibition game, and suddenly they suck. The leafs' 4-1-1 record is the best record in the preseason right now, and losing a one 1-gl game which they almost tied at the end there doesn't mean they suck.

Pre season records means nothing , we had a great pre season the year we finished 29th .

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Anybody know if that site still exists that showed the breakdown of where every single goal was scored on a goalie in a given year?

I'm the last person to ask about where to find reported stats. I'm the one that's usually asking people for it :laugh:

Yeah, except for the fact that Reimer did bail out the Leafs at least half a dozen times on 2 on 1s and breakaways last night. To blame him on the only one he didn't stop is ludicrous. The defense was just horrendous last night.

You're displaying an inability to critique fairly. I'm calling a spade a spade. Reimer gave his team every chance to win. Soft goal or not, he isn't the reason that his team lost last night but that doesn't change the reality of what happened. Your damn straight I can say that he was to blame for the first goal because it was a very stoppable puck. Stuff happens, no big deal but I'm just calling it as it is. You need to careful of what you're reading and what you're assuming by the words you read. I said he let in a bad goal - that doesn't mean that he played poorly or was the reason for the loss. Don't equate one with the other. The first goal wasn't a great goal to let in and no matter how much talking around and 'buts' you'd like to add, it won't change that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad