Post-Game Talk: Senators 3, Leafs 2. Reimer not enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
The two players I want to get rid of on this team is Liles and Colborne. Calgary seems almost too perfect, too bad they don't feel the same way or else i'm sure it would of been done already.

Seriously at this point i'll even slap a 2nd on top of Liles and Colborne to get them outta here. Too many bodies and we need the cap space.

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
The bad thing with Colborne is that he signed a sink or swim contract. There's no middle ground or down the road with him. He either has what it takes to be a productive NHLer or he's on waivers, and right now he hasn't shown very much at all.

Bag of pucks > Colborne

Waive him.

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
Reimer's first goal wasn't great.

I'm going to attribute that to the newer pads. Usually any goalie would have the extra padding to cover the five hole slot, but with the newer regulation, that area is now shorter. Will take some adjusting, not just for Reimer, but for all goalies.

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
I'm going to attribute that to the newer pads. Usually any goalie would have the extra padding to cover the five hole slot, but with the newer regulation, that area is now shorter. Will take some adjusting, not just for Reimer, but for all goalies.

Never blame a breakaway or 2 on 1 on the goalie. The defense was most at fault as they were consistently all night. Without Reimer, Ottawa wins this game 5-2 (or more).

L Corncrick

NHL Outsider
Oct 8, 2011
Planet Funk
The bad thing with Colborne is that he signed a sink or swim contract. There's no middle ground or down the road with him. He either has what it takes to be a productive NHLer or he's on waivers, and right now he hasn't shown very much at all.

It's not a bad thing for Joe, or even a bad thing for the Leafs. If he doesn't play well enough to make the team he goes on waivers and is likely claimed due to his cheap contract. He gets a new start and we get rid of him. The only negative would be not getting trade value in return but if he can't make the team then he is not worth much and we could use the contract space to sign someone else.

Savannah Skunk

Nov 21, 2006
Off the banana farm
Never blame a breakaway or 2 on 1 on the goalie. The defense was most at fault as they were consistently all night. Without Reimer, Ottawa wins this game 5-2 (or more).

Reimer was brilliant tonight! Bernier will be good but his presence might launch Reimer to new heights. Glad hockey's back and that the sens and leafs have competitive teams. Good luck this year, the leafs could make some noise.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada

While the pads may have something to do with it, Reimer has always been shaky five-hole too. His glove looks to be higher this season (he's actually holding it up almost identical on-angle to how Scrivens used to), but you can't put that goal entirely on the equipment.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Meh. It was a partial break with the forward behind the defense. I never really fault the goalies for those. The second was an unfortunate bounce and the third was as well. Run those plays again and we win 2-1. Them's the breaks.

I was basing it on the degree of difficulty in stopping the shots. The first shot was a stoppable puck that got by him. The other two more difficult. By no means am I suggesting that Reimer let the team down or is the reason the team lost. He gave the team a chance to win and that's all his job is. I was just trying to be balanced with my comments on Reimer's performance.

Well it's not like goalies never let in 5 holes with bigger pads but I do understand what you're saying and I agree. Goalies will need to adjust their positioning and timing in order to compensate for the shorter pads.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
While the pads may have something to do with it, Reimer has always been shaky five-hole too. His glove looks to be higher this season (he's actually holding it up almost identical on-angle to how Scrivens used to), but you can't put that goal entirely on the equipment.

I don't have a breakdown but it seems just by recollection, I don't think Reimer lets in a great deal of 5 hole goals. Like most goalies, he gets caught upper gloves side on most occasions. Is it possible that you think he has a shaky 5 hole because he has a tendency to always look behind him when he makes a save like that as though he's unsure if he's got the puck? Or is it that you feel he gets scored on in that area often?

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto

That's some pretty soft logic. If the forwards and defense could NEVER make mistakes, what would be the point of having a goalie at all? If a goalie is facing a breakaway and reads the play all wrong and lets in a goal that could have been saved, you better bet he deserves some blame. Again, the goalie is there to help bail his team out of trouble when the puck gets to the net. That his is role on the team. When the goalie has time, space and has no traffic to compete with a shot coming at him, if that pucks goes in, he's likely got some blame to take.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON

What other type of contract could he have signed? I suppose he could have signed a two-way contract, but all that would do is pay him less in the minors. The Leafs' options would be the same.

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011
Leaf fans putting their hallmark patience on full display right now. Colborne has what, 15 career NHL games played? Guess that means it's his shape up or ship out year.

Wami

Chicken Lyfe'
Mar 8, 2013
Leaf fans putting their hallmark patience on full display right now. Colborne has what, 15 career NHL games played? Guess that means it's his shape up or ship out year.

His effort leaves something to be desired. I could understand if he was busting his ass and looked like he would rather die than not be the first to the puck, but honestly he's just so reserved the point that he looks like he doesn't care. It's not enough.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

He's played so little because he hasn't deserved to play any more .

If he doesn't make the club this year he has to go on waivers to be sent down , he either gets claimed or every team in the league has no use for him .

He turns 24 in Jan and was drafted in 08 so i'd love to know how much longer you'd still consider him an asset ?

Last edited:

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
Reimer made some big saves, and was a big reason why the Leafs were in the game early throughout the first half of the game, but what was a great game ended up as an OK game with two questionable goals. Granted the kicked goal probably wouldn't have counted, but these were the exact same rebound goals that were partially responsible for our game 7 collapse. The 5-hole goal looked pretty bad (with the stick acting as a ramp for the puck), too, but we'll have to see just how well other goalies will adjust to the smaller pads. I expect Reimer lost more off his pads than the average goalie, so it will take him some time to adjust.

Having said that, the defense looked very scrambly. I'll chalk it up as a consequence of the ordeal on Sunday night.

JVR, Bozak, Clarkson, Lupul, Kadri and Aston looked great, Gardiner, not so much, with all those defensive giveaways.

Mowerman

Oct 27, 2010
Toronto
He turns 24 in Jan and was drafted in 08 so i'd love to know how much longer you'd still consider him an asset ?
Were you saying this when everybody was hyping Frattin despite him doing very little at the nhl level? His potential that he's shown in bunches and that can be seen when you watch him without a predetermined negative slant makes him an asset. If he doesn't make it in Toronto I can see him playing somewhere on an nhl team in a year. He looks good on the boards, has improved his game off the puck and makes smart passes. Granted I've only watched two of the pre-season games, but I saw that against Ottawa last time. Really don't think he's getting a fair judgement here. Not looking good for him here though, shame.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I don't have a breakdown but it seems just by recollection, I don't think Reimer lets in a great deal of 5 hole goals. Like most goalies, he gets caught upper gloves side on most occasions. Is it possible that you think he has a shaky 5 hole because he has a tendency to always look behind him when he makes a save like that as though he's unsure if he's got the puck? Or is it that you feel he gets scored on in that area often?

Anybody know if that site still exists that showed the breakdown of where every single goal was scored on a goalie in a given year?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Reimer probably wants back the breakaway goal, but the shooter is happy he put it where he wanted.

Other two goals are on the Leafs horrible defensive play.

Ranger was bad.
In this game the Rielly-Ranger pairing earned their -2.

Phaneuf-Gunnarsson had a quiet 19 minutes, and +1.

Take out: Broll, Bodie and Colborne
Put in: Bolland, Kessel and Raymond

That's the forwards.

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Clarkson
Raymond-Bolland-Kulemin
Devane-McClement-Ashton/Goon

Phaneuf-Gunnarson
Gardiner-Fraser
Liles/Rielly-Ranger
Holzer

Reimer
Bernier

Not much different from the team on the ice last night, except having the game breaker Kessel in the line-up.

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
That's some pretty soft logic. If the forwards and defense could NEVER make mistakes, what would be the point of having a goalie at all? If a goalie is facing a breakaway and reads the play all wrong and lets in a goal that could have been saved, you better bet he deserves some blame. Again, the goalie is there to help bail his team out of trouble when the puck gets to the net. That his is role on the team. When the goalie has time, space and has no traffic to compete with a shot coming at him, if that pucks goes in, he's likely got some blame to take.

Yeah, except for the fact that Reimer did bail out the Leafs at least half a dozen times on 2 on 1s and breakaways last night. To blame him on the only one he didn't stop is ludicrous. The defense was just horrendous last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad