Olympics: Semis Game Thread: Slovakia vs Finland

Jakk123

May 6, 2014
Bratislava
Slovakias story reminds me so much of Finlands journey to the top, so close so many times (1988,1994 etc) It kind of feels like a path you just have to go through, enough of these and soon you’re winning and a serious contender year in year out

How so? We have already been among the serious contenders in the past and right now we are not even remotely close to consistently being there again. Sure, even if we end up being 4th, this would be a great tournament for us, but it still doesn't mean much in the bigger picture.

vlady

May 22, 2009
Bratislava
www.powerplay.studio
Yeah I meant like nhl teams not wanting these guys so they should just give up and move to Europe which would have guaranteed them a spot in the instance NHL pulls out. For Slovaks I mean Jaros, Sekera, Panik, etc. Even Halak, as evident by Canucks fans opinion of him.

I don't think Panik, Sekera and Halak would improve this team. They are all spent force. The hunger is not there any more. Maybe Jaros could be a bit of help, but even that is questionable.

If Halak was available, maybe Rybar wouldn't even make this team, yet he has probably been our MVP (with Slaf, of course)

Reactions: hellwar9

kendoman

Mar 28, 2015
Really ugly way to win. Slovakia was really good and maybe the better team today. Finland played an ugly but a winning game.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
VMP

Feels almost embarrassing to see the Finns reach the final with that kind of play. Awful. This team just lacks the heart and soul of previous Jalonen teams were every win felt totally deserved and some losses felt unjust, not this time, had a bit of a similar feeling against the Swiss too.

The Finns will get slaughtered in the final, and I'm not looking forward to it.

Every coin has two sides. The catenaccio of Maldini-Baresi-Costacurta-Donadoni and boring 1-0 wins for Milan and Italy for a decade
Or absolutely perfect defence owning the opposition and raising the bar for excellence.

1-0 can be a dominant win. Defending to win, even Canada does it. Salt Lake City, Finland seemed to dominate Canada but couldn’t get a decent chance -> Canada defended perfectly forcing to the edges and suffocating the center. They played the same way in Sochi, strong defence is a valid tactic

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Yeah, I don't understand how working your ass off defensively because your coach clearly told you that's the game plan is "lack of heart". Pretty pathetic coach potato take if you asked me.

Probably the only real fault of Finns today was not to score on PP.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
I don't think Panik, Sekera and Halak would improve this team. They are all spent force. The hunger is not there any more. Maybe Jaros could be a bit of help, but even that is questionable.

If Halak was available, maybe Rybar wouldn't even make this team, yet he has probably been our MVP (with Slaf, of course)
And the hunger is there with Cajkovsky, Rosandic, Marincin, Hudacek?? All 4 of which can’t skate for modern game. Sekera would easily be our best dman, and Panik always plays well in NT. Jaros would help as well.

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
That's harsh. Especially when team scores 0 goals.

As a Bruins fan I was happy while he was on the Leafs. Defensively he just sucks, every game a giveaway machine.
I just don's see what Ramsay sees in Marincin. Yeah, he killed that 5 on 3 PK today but that was rather a crappy play by Finns than him being useful.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
As a Bruins fan I was happy while he was on the Leafs. Defensively he just sucks, every game a giveaway machine.
That's exactly how it seems, you are just singling the guy out because you don't like him. His team scored 0 goals and by your reaction, it would seem he scored on his own net himself while in reality, you could blame 3 other people for that goal.

I mean hate him all you want but pinning this loss on him is textbook scape-goating.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Yeah I meant like nhl teams not wanting these guys so they should just give up and move to Europe which would have guaranteed them a spot in the instance NHL pulls out. For Slovaks I mean Jaros, Sekera, Panik, etc. Even Halak, as evident by Canucks fans opinion of him.

if you ask me in hindsight of course sending nhlers wouldn’t have been a problem, practicality all the men hockey players didn’t miss a game. I know 6 Russian players arrived positive but was good To go by their 1st game. The whinny Finnish captain also made it in time for,their game. no athletes missed their events because of quarantine.

that said if nhlers went, so would have Americans and fins too, so I don’t know if Slovakia would have had enough to beat USA or even a Finland with nhlers….

vlady

May 22, 2009
Bratislava
www.powerplay.studio
And the hunger is there with Cajkovsky, Rosandic, Marincin, Hudacek?? All 4 of which can’t skate for modern game. Sekera would easily be our best dman, and Panik always plays well in NT. Jaros would help as well.
All of them contributed one way or another to our semifinal presence.

The other thing is that the decision that NHL player would not come to the Olympics came AFTER the season started. So unless these "selfish" players had a crystal ball, they had no way of knowing that they should break their NHL contracts to play at the Olympics.

Matti_A

Sep 21, 2005
Every coin has two sides. The catenaccio of Maldini-Baresi-Costacurta-Donadoni and boring 1-0 wins for Milan and Italy for a decade
Or absolutely perfect defence owning the opposition and raising the bar for excellence.

1-0 can be a dominant win. Defending to win, even Canada does it. Salt Lake City, Finland seemed to dominate Canada but couldn’t get a decent chance -> Canada defended perfectly forcing to the edges and suffocating the center. They played the same way in Sochi, strong defence is a valid tactic
You might win playing like this but the margins are way too small, a few bounces go the other way and you are caught with your pants down and you are scrambling to change your game strategy.

And it's frankly unwatchable, this game caused me a lot of agita, winning a gold like this feels almost tainted.

It's a different story if you are the clear underdog, then it's understandable. The finns had no business playing like this.

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008
That's exactly how it seems, you are just singling the guy out because you don't like him. His team scored 0 goals and by your reaction, it would seem he scored on his own net himself while in reality, you could blame 3 other people for that goal.

I mean hate him all you want but pinning this loss on him is textbook scape-goating.

I have seen enough of him since his Oilers days to know what to expect from him. I didn't like his roster selection as I didn't like Dano's. Both have been a masive liability. Instead of them there could have been 2 different players who might have not taken a slash across the face or shit his pants every single time when there is a quick rush to defend.

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
You might win playing like this but the margins are way too small, a few bounces go the other way and you are caught with your pants down and you are scrambling to change your game strategy.

And it's frankly unwatchable, this game caused me a lot of agita, winning a gold like this feels almost tainted.

It's a different story if you are the clear underdog, then it's understandable. The finns had no business playing like this.

The thing about Jalonen though is that he's capable of changing his strategy. If Slovakia had evened it up, I don't think he would've been caught "pants down", he would've just told his players to get back to work.

I think he just felt like Slovakia's goal-scoring potential wasn't too impressive, and he's obviously very confident in Säteri. A one-goal lead was all he needed to win, and he was right.

I agree though that it's extremely ugly and boring to watch. But we also have to acknowledge that there's not that much talent in this team, to provide a show for the fans. A lot of the dependable vets from past Jalonen teams are getting older, there's no youth whatsoever in this team and a handful of guys are already in their late 30's.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
If only the most successful coach in Finnish history would know these ways of ensuring the victory you talk about... Well, one can dream of non-tainted golds but alas. The tainted ones will have to do :(

Reactions: Jussi and Mestaruus

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia

Marincin, Cajkovsky, Rosandic, Hudacek, Jurco, Pospisil. Unfortunately, the Finn’s have much more quality. Cajkovsky, was so bad, I would consider scratching him tomorrow. Daloga would probably be better.

Dano was good. At keeping the bench warm that is. Yet, somehow I could see him scoring tying goal if he played :laugh:

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
*arranging a private shrine for Jalonen to the corner of my living room*

Ugly, yes! Effective, hell yeah!

The didact, architect, and the artist, at the peak of, and in total control of his art.

GG Slovaks! No shame!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad