Olympics: Semis Game Thread: Slovakia vs Finland

Hasa92

Aug 4, 2012
Finland
Was expecting a close game and wouldn't have been surprised if Slovakia had won but I didn'r expect Slovakia to outplay Finland so well even thought they didn't get a goal.

At least our defence and goaltending is top class.

Finland will win gold with a boring game and Slovakia will slaughter their bronze medal opponent.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
But we also have to acknowledge that there's not that much talent in this team, to provide a show for the fans.
Well, there's a not much talent in the lineup. We do, after all, have the leading goalscorer of the entire KHL watching the game from the stands. And, to a secondary degree, another skill guy in Rajala. And, ironically, neither are sitting because of their own fault. Covid messed things up a bit and they never really got a fair shake after our workhorses ended up scoring the necessary ones in round robin.

And they aren't getting in anymore unless something unexpected happens. Which does, I must say, give us a cause for a "what if" or two if Finland doesn't pocket that gold.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Well 4th is nice. Bronze medal game doesn’t even need to be played

You get a massive rest advantage for the bronze game against ROC/Sweden which is already played tomorrow. I think that you might even want to get ROC there. ROC might not have much motivation for bronze. It might be a good chance to bet some money for Slovakia's win, if they give good odds for it.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
really ? Which guys ? It was already announced that nhlers would have been going so the Finnish players didn’t leave the nhl just to play in the Olympics. Sami vatanen nobody wanted him in the nhl.

Well Vatanen didn't get offered enough money so he went to Switzerland instead. He probably declined league minimum offer or something and is looking for something more in term or salary. I got a feeling that Vatanen is going back to the NHL next season.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Well Vatanen didn't get offered enough money so he went to Switzerland instead. He probably declined league minimum offer or something and is looking for something more in term or salary. I got a feeling that Vatanen is going back to the NHL next season.
Lehtonen is twice the player though. I think Vatanen stays put.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
As someone from Slovakia, I must say that it was absolutely even game. But your defence is something out of this world.

Finland was playing with fire that game and I didn't like the over defensive approach but it paid off so I can't really complain. Also Finland had the right type of players to pull of a strategy like that. Well it's not much different than what Sweden did to Canada. ROC vs SWE game might be pretty similar to this semifinal game considering that ROC also played 1-0 games against Denmark & SUI before that goal party against the CZE lol. It matters a lot who scores the first goal, but we'll probably see more power plays, so special teams & goalies will decide a lot.

Reactions: THE JAM

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
We let the Fins win as payment for developing our prospects :) . Jokes aside, well played from both teams and good luck in finals.

Slovakian Jagr, Slovakian Rantanen. That's Slafkovsky. I think that he will get some monster minutes in TPS Finland for the rest of the season. I heard that his role hasn't been big enough so far, but that will change. Interesting to see what happens with the draft.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
that said if nhlers went, so would have Americans and fins too, so I don’t know if Slovakia would have had enough to beat USA or even a Finland with nhlers….

Finland vs Slovakia best on best. The gap would've been bigger than in the game today I feel.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
*arranging a private shrine for Jalonen to the corner of my living room*

Ugly, yes! Effective, hell yeah!

The didact, architect, and the artist, at the peak of, and in total control of his art.

GG Slovaks! No shame!

If Jalonen doesn't get a statue soon somewhere, we have to take things into our own hands and make them ourselves.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Obligatuary, man it would be so much fun if all international games would be played on small rink. So much speed

I believe that the WHC in Finland is played on small ice this spring/start of summer. Maybe it becomes permanent soon. It's same to me really if it becomes permanent or not. If they choose small rink only for international play, then all rinks in European leagues should be changed as well.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
If Jalonen doesn't get a statue soon somewhere, we have to take things into our own hands and make them ourselves.
The logical place would be in front of the Riihimäki railway station. If not there, then somewhere in Tampere. Perhaps replace that lahtari swordsman near the library. Or in the place of that obelisk on the square in front of the orthodox church, would be suitably close to the new arena.

As for the statue itself, I propose emulating the iconic pose of the goddess Minerva. Etch the lion logo on the shield, replace the spear with a hockey stick, give him a turtle shell as a helmet and make him hold a hedgehog instead of an owl.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
The logical place would be in front of the Riihimäki railway station. If not there, then somewhere in Tampere. Perhaps replace that lahtari swordsman near the library. Or in the place of that obelisk on the square in front of the orthodox church, would be suitably close to the new arena.

As for the statue itself, I propose emulating the iconic pose of the goddess Minerva. Etch the lion logo on the shield, replace the spear with a hockey stick, give him a turtle shell as a helmet and make him hold a hedgehog instead of an owl.

How about a sphinx statue with Jalonen's head on that lion. It would look funny with the eye glasses. Jalonen's face reminds me of the cartoon Simpsons characters' faces for some reason (mouth/beard/mustache area). I've always thought so. A Simpson character with eyeglasses on a sphinx sounds epic to me.

Sphinx - Wikipedia

Despite how this tournament ends, if Jalonen gets gold in the home WHC at Tampere, they certainly should put a statue outside the Tampere arena then, but most likely it will be a statue about fat Jutila or Mörkö there instead. Perhaps even Kristian Kuusela.

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Despite how this tournament ends, if Jalonen gets gold in the home WHC at Tampere, they certainly should put a statue outside the Tampere arena then, but most likely it will be a statue about fat Jutila or Mörkö there instead. Perhaps even Kristian Kuusela.
Realistically, if Tampere's ever going to erect a statue for a hockey personage, it'll be Raipe.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
VMP

Feels almost embarrassing to see the Finns reach the final with that kind of play. Awful. This team just lacks the heart and soul of previous Jalonen teams were every win felt totally deserved and some losses felt unjust, not this time, had a bit of a similar feeling against the Swiss too.

The Finns will get slaughtered in the final, and I'm not looking forward to it.
This gotta be the most finnish comment ever. First of all what the heck are you talking about? This is not "Nuori Suomi Kaikki Pelaa" tournament somewhere in North Karelia, it's Olympic SF.

Slovakia played well but scored zero goals. Correct me if i'm wrong but you can't win if you don't score.

I'll get back to this comment after final. Then you can act shocked and maybe even drink a cup of coffee for Team Finland (but just black tho, they haven't deserved milk or sugar). And also you can already start to speculate how we won't get medal in WHC with this game.

Reactions: llwyd

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
As Finnish hockey fans, we've seen this story far too many times. In all predictions, Finland's not given much chance. People who don't know Finland expect the other team to take an easy win and advance. But Finland will surprise a lot of these people who can't see past the names on paper; they put up a good, close fight - but still lose in the end.

Wait, what? Yes, it was the same story... except Finland wasn't "Finland". It was Slovakia's turn to play that role. Finland has finally become that other team - may not play their best game, but their routine of winning is still too much for the underdog to overcome, even when the underdog puts up its best effort.

One shouldn't draw any conclusions about the GMG based on this, though, as it'll be a much more even match-up. But I can say that somehow over past the decade Finland has become a team that truly plays to win instead of simply avoiding to lose.

Reactions: Hasa92

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
I watched the game from the middle of the second third. Why was the Slovak bank always shown with this coach. Never the Finnish one! I know it's not that important, but I found it strange. ;)

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I'm sad Marko Dano won't get the chance to play for gold, the way he's been carrying Slovakia this tournament.

Reactions: kudla

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Really impressed by Slovakia. Even if I believe Sweden will win the gold I hope us to win the tournament and that you guys get to play against Sweden in a bronze game and win.

Reactions: stastny12

GigaChad

Oct 9, 2013
Too bad the NHL players aren't attending this tournament.
I find the WJC and WC tournaments more interesting than this years Olympics, especially now when the games start at 6 am.
WC teams usually have NHL players and WJC players are usually the cream of the u20 crop so winning those tournaments feels better than this.
Can't even watch the final because of my sleep schedule :mad:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad