Semifinals: New York Islanders vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Series tied 3-3) Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
It happens. Gotta play like there is no tomorrow for the isles facing elimination. Game 6 you have to leave everything you have on the ice.

In order to leave everything on the ice, you have bring SOMETHING to the ice to begin with. The Isles brought zip last night. Wherever they lost their identity, they need to find it fast and come out on a mission.

I've said it before, teams as structurally sound as the Isles can get W's playing 20, 40 , 50 minute efforts vs mediocre opponents. You either play a full 60 vs Tampa or defeat is all but guaranteed.

Reactions: SI90

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I've seen some comments about Tampa " running up the score " last night in various media outlets ( here, sports radio, etc etc ). I never understood why this is an issue with fans of pro sports. Sure, in little league/pee-wee, a mercy rule should be used. But these are pro athletes and they're doing their job. You play the game start to finish like you've been trained and coached to do, regardless of the score. If the other team isn't matching that level of effort and intensity because of the scoreboard, that's on them.
In the regular season, sure, most teams don't throw out #1 units up that many in the 3rd or w.e but this is payoffs. You don't take your foot off the gas at all. You also want y0ur big names producing or getting hot so allowing them the chance to get out there on a PP or even getting some minutes/shifts while also finding the balance of rest for the next game.

After they scored at the start of the third Coop just rolled his lines during the 5 minute major so he did eventually show some mercy. But its playoffs, you don't stop.

Drive 4 Five

Sep 5, 2006
No difference between an 8-0 drubbing or a 3OT loss - both count as one game in the L column. I expect an Islanders W tomorrow, with or without Barzal. My guess is this all ends with a Game 7 nail-biter.

And if history is a guide, Isles are something like 16-4 on home ice in Game 6. No way they roll over easy tomorrow.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
In order to leave everything on the ice, you have bring SOMETHING to the ice to begin with. The Isles brought zip last night. Wherever they lost their identity, they need to find it fast and come out on a mission.

I've said it before, teams as structurally sound as the Isles can get W's playing 20, 40 , 50 minute efforts vs mediocre opponents. You either play a full 60 vs Tampa or defeat is all but guaranteed.
Outside of game 6 vs Boston and game 1 vs Tampa, we’ve rarely seen them play a full 60. It’s always a slow start where they hang on the wild bull for the first 10 minutes then wake up or start strong and fall asleep in the 2nd to wake back up. For some reason they always want to let the foot off the gas and it comes back to bite them. Game 4 is the perfect example of this. Play strong but stay in the locker room for a few minutes extra until after Johnson scored that 2nd goal.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
No difference between an 8-0 drubbing or a 3OT loss - both count as one game in the L column. I expect an Islanders W tomorrow, with or without Barzal. My guess is this all ends with a Game 7 nail-biter.

And if history is a guide, Isles are something like 16-4 on home ice in Game 6. No way they roll over easy tomorrow.
Game 6 at home with what could be the actual last game for good in the Coliseum? I don’t see them looking like they did last night/game 7 vs Washington a few years back.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Series is far from over. I loved our response yesterday from the jump, as we were determined to rebound from game 4. But the Isles also played about as bad as they could've. Gave up so many high quality scoring chances in the first, and took 4 penalties in the 2nd despite entering it down 3-0. I expect them to be much better in game 6 and for it to be tough closing out the series. Bolts just gotta remember last year when we won game 2 2-1 on Kuch's goal with 8 seconds left after blowing them out 8-2. Isles are a resilient team and this series ain't over yet.

Reactions: Olliemets and Hoek

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Game 6 at home with what could be the actual last game for good in the Coliseum? I don’t see them looking like they did last night/game 7 vs Washington a few years back.
It would be stunning if this particular group lays an egg tomorrow. There's just too much leadership on the ice, behind the bench, and in the room. We will definitely see a strong game by the Islanders. Whether that's enough to win is a different story.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Series is far from over. I loved our response yesterday from the jump, as we were determined to rebound from game 4. But the Isles also played about as bad as they could've. Gave up so many high quality scoring chances in the first, and took 4 penalties in the 2nd despite entering it down 3-0. I expect them to be much better in game 6 and for it to be tough closing out the series. Bolts just gotta remember last year when we won game 2 2-1 on Kuch's goal with 8 seconds left after blowing them out 8-2. Isles are a resilient team and this series ain't over yet.
This is true. That was as bad a game as you'll ever see the Islanders play. It will not be anywhere near that easy tomorrow.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
It would be stunning if this particular group lays an egg tomorrow. There's just too much leadership on the ice, behind the bench, and in the room. We will definitely see a strong game by the Islanders. Whether that's enough to win is a different story.
I’ve been watching Islanders hockey long enough. If Capuano was still coach, that egg would be laid and just about ready to hatch tomorrow. Barry on the other hand will rip Barzal a new one (which he’s done both behind the scenes and in the media) and this team will find a way to respond with or without Mat in the lineup. If he’s not in (based on the DOPS decision that’s MIA right now), I’m expecting them to play Wahlstrom alongside JGP and Zajac to slide over to the middle. I’m also curious if Dobson gets replaced by Hickey or Coburn since he seemed to be getting outmatched at times over the series.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Blowouts happen either because a team is especially bad or a team is especially good on that particular night. Seems like an outlier for the Islanders. They go from playing tight 2 - 1 hockey win or lose to a 7 - 0 blowout? Just weird. Not gonna happen again.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
I’ve been watching Islanders hockey long enough. If Capuano was still coach, that egg would be laid and just about ready to hatch tomorrow. Barry on the other hand will rip Barzal a new one (which he’s done both behind the scenes and in the media) and this team will find a way to respond with or without Mat in the lineup. If he’s not in (based on the DOPS decision that’s MIA right now), I’m expecting them to play Wahlstrom alongside JGP and Zajac to slide over to the middle. I’m also curious if Dobson gets replaced by Hickey or Coburn since he seemed to be getting outmatched at times over the series.
Dobson was the only Islanders defenseman not on ice for any goals yesterday. He's not the problem.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Dobson was the only Islanders defenseman not on ice for any goals yesterday. He's not the problem.
I’m not talking just yesterday alone but throughout the series he’s been worked physically quite a few times.

KuchieKooRov

Aug 13, 2020
Once it got to 6-0, I couldn't help but be reminded of this exact same game (in essence) from the 2017 playoffs, when the ECF was tied at 2, Game 5, and the Penguins throttled the Sens 7-0 in Pittsburgh to take a 3-2 series lead. What happened next? Ottawa scraped out Game 6, tied Game 7 late in the third period, and it took into double overtime for the Penguins to finally knock off Ottawa once and for all. The point being that the Islanders surely still have a lot of fight left in them, that a loss is a loss whether it's 1-0, 8-0, or somewhere in-between, and that Game 6 is still going to be very tough. Pretty much what should've been expected no matter the outcome tonight.

It doesn't help that the Lightning don't have a rosy history when up 3-2 in this round of the playoffs. Their record in ECF "close-out" games since 2015 is 2-6. They've blown two 3-2 leads before. They won this exact game in the same circumstances in 2018 against Trotz's Capitals, and then didn't score another goal.

Hopefully this year is more like 2020, but still a long way to go and a lot they need to do to make that happen.
I'd argue this team is a lot different than that one. Personnel and mentality. This team finally learned out to close this stuff out.

Reactions: jahbless

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
I’m not talking just yesterday alone but throughout the series he’s been worked physically quite a few times.
They're not replacing a healthy Dobson with cold and stiff Coburn or even more physically overmatched Hickey.

Dobson is the Islanders top scoring defensemen in the playoffs, yes that's right, and their second high PP scorer. He ain't going anywhere.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
They're not replacing a healthy Dobson with cold and stiff Coburn or even more physically overmatched Hickey.

Dobson is the Islanders top scoring defensemen in the playoffs, yes that's right, and their second high PP scorer. He ain't going anywhere.
I wouldn’t either but Barry has an extremely short leash for young players.

Look Up

Don't be a scan tool
Oct 3, 2013
iu

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I've seen some comments about Tampa " running up the score " last night in various media outlets ( here, sports radio, etc etc ). I never understood why this is an issue with fans of pro sports. Sure, in little league/pee-wee, a mercy rule should be used. But these are pro athletes and they're doing their job. You play the game start to finish like you've been trained and coached to do, regardless of the score. If the other team isn't matching that level of effort and intensity because of the scoreboard, that's on them.
They are all professionals and it is the playoffs. If you don't like it score and skate harder. This isn't beer league or youth sports. If the Islanders were concerned about sportsmanship, I would start with the Barzal. Barzal and the DPOS just gave the lightning the motivation then didn't need to finish off NYI. Will Barzal drop the gloves answer for his intent to injure Ruuta or become the target and motivation the Lightning need to embarrass NYI again?

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017

There's no chance Barzal gets suspended but there's even less of a chance the Islanders win without him.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Even tho tampa won big yesterday its still a race to 4 wins. Next one is big for both teams. Tampa wins they clinch a trip back to the finals again. If the islanders win it will go back to tampa for a win take it all game. Doubt tampa wants to get it that far. I think tampa will bring it again but so will the islanders. Should be interesting.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I have two thoughts on this.

First - it's a five minute PP, and in hockey you still need to roll your lines - especially since it was at the beginning of the period - so unless you want Pat Maroon out there for the entire PP, the top unit was going to have to get some time eventually.

Second - It was a five minute PP from a dirty hit in a blowout. Hell yeah they're going to want to rub it in and embarrass them.

Third - Get good.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I have two thoughts on this.

First - it's a five minute PP, and in hockey you still need to roll your lines - especially since it was at the beginning of the period - so unless you want Pat Maroon out there for the entire PP, the top unit was going to have to get some time eventually.

Second - It was a five minute PP from a dirty hit in a blowout. Hell yeah they're going to want to rub it in and embarrass them.

Third - Get good.

This. It's the playoffs, there shouldn't be any mercy given to a team you're going to see the next game. Luckily the Lightning continued to stomp on their throats and didn't show any poor habits. That bodes well for game 6

Reactions: Danrs112
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad