Semifinals: New York Islanders vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Series tied 3-3) Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Yes?

It happens all the time. Literally have certain rules in place for other infractions where injury results in a stricter penalty. It can be relevant. Like I said I agree we should call them more, but even if you’re going to be too lenient, still need to call the more severe ones. The ones that result in injury, to head/neck, or result in player being boarded. Common sense
I agree with this, but was it evident he was injured by that play? He gets cross checked on the right side, falls down and continues to play on

Then, when going for a check on Barzal, his arm hits the boards funny and his left arm is injured

I’m not saying it shouldn’t have been a penalty, because it should have for sure, but it’s pure speculation that that is what injured him

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
Yes?

It happens all the time. Literally have certain rules in place for other infractions where injury results in a stricter penalty. It can be relevant. Like I said I agree we should call them more, but even if you’re going to be too lenient, still need to call the more severe ones. The ones that result in injury, to head/neck, or result in player being boarded. Common sense

SO in this case it would not have been a penalty with the way you think it should work. Or maybe if that rule was in place kuch drops like he was hit with a gunshot. Or are you now saying that the refs can call a penalty 30-60+ seconds later when they notice a player laboring and just guessing it was from the crosscheck. Just stop. Please

The only way to stop this is to call ALL cross checks. Maybe give people in front of the net some leeway??

The hilarious part is im arguing for more AGGRESSIVE enforcement you want to give the refs some leeway to make calls on sht they dont even call 90% of the time.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Thank god hockey is a sport the celebrates and rewards toughness. No interest in watching a bunch of figure skaters out there. What made Tampa’s cup and every cup team special is they survive the battles, overcome the punishment and deserved to win it. Watching hand taps stopping play like in basketball is boring.

Happy that Spike Lee is not a hockey fan.

NHL Review

Twitter: @nhl_review
Oct 27, 2019
SO in this case it would not have been a penalty with the way you think it should work. Or maybe if that rule was in place kuch drops like he was hit with a gunshot. Or are you now saying that the refs can call a penalty 30-60+ seconds later when they notice a player laboring and just guessing it was from the crosscheck. Just stop. Please

I went back and watched the replay multiple times. He was down for a bit and hobbled back up. I’m not talking about what he went off with (don’t know if it’s related), I was saying in those type of situations you make the call. It was a very hard cross-check that wasn’t a player battling for positioning and intended to punish.

I think every neutral person here agrees that it’s a penalty. It’s pretty blatant

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Of which there are thousands every game. Yes, I think ANY cross check should be a penalty, but the NHL has an identity crisis. How many times you see a guy get his back pounded by crosschecks along the boards? For some reason, it's always been allowed.
The problem is the rule book.

It’s not that Cross checks are illegal. It’s forceful cross checks. So subjectivity is written right into the rule, so now we have to rely on game managers to figure out how strong or weak a cross check is before it finally warrants a penalty. Rulebook needs a reform, rules need to be simplified and better defined. There is no other way to consistency other than this.

Reactions: robertocarlos

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
I went back and watched the replay multiple times. He was down for a bit and hobbled back up. I’m not talking about what he went off with (don’t know if it’s related), I was saying in those type of situations you make the call. It was a very hard cross-check that wasn’t a player battling for positioning and intended to punish.

I think every neutral person here agrees that it’s a penalty. It’s pretty blatant

We all agree its a penalty I am literally arguing to call ALL cross checks and you will see them vanish.

Reactions: robertocarlos

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Gimmie a break.. if they called ever crosscheck they would be no 5 on 5 play.

I know there's a lot of cross checks in a normal game, and I'm not advocating for calling all of them. However, it should be pretty obvious just by plain sight whether it crossed the line between a normal hockey play and something worthy of an infraction. There's no need for officials to go into deep analysis of intent. It shouldn't matter what they player intended, only whether the action crossed that line or not.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
Lol. Tom Wilson crushes people with body checks. Not cheap stick work like that.

Holding my nose and cheering for Trotz. Stop making it harder than this is. ;)

By the way, still haven’t forgotten dirty POS Potvin breaking Bengt Gustaffson’s leg.
Did you actually use the words Tom Wilson and not cheap in the same post?

and as a Caps fan - you're seriously bringing up a Potvin hit from 35/40 years ago?

I have two words for you - Dale Hunter. Was one of the worst and dirtiest plays in sport's history. Separating a celebrating player's shoulder from behind after the game/series was over. Pathetic. One of the the few bigger POS than Wilson in hockey history.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Reports are Kucherov has a separated shoulder.

That leaves a gaping hole in their lineup.

So.. not insinuating this. Just generally asking... did he get hurt from that crosscheck or the weird nothing looking play with Barzal? The crosscheck was brutal and should have been called, but he really seemed to be laboring after trying to check Barzal. Maybe he tweaked something from the check and then exacerbated it. A separated shoulder from a cross check? If that report is true.

Reactions: hobochangba

NHL Review

Twitter: @nhl_review
Oct 27, 2019
We all agree its a penalty I am literally arguing to call ALL cross checks and you will see them vanish.

Yeah we are on the same page then lol. Why are you responding and trying to debate something that isn’t relevant? Lets not argue just for the sake of arguing. Call them all, I agree

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Where did you see this? Looked like the ribs more than a shoulder shot?
I truly think he injured himself on the Barzal hit and the crosscheck had little, if anything, to do with it. He went into the boards pretty damn awkwardly

Reactions: SI90

BKIsles

Jan 22, 2013
This has been a great series. Both teams really have put it on the line. So much physical play, so many greasy goals. Unbelievable character by the Isles to shake off the 8-0 beating and take game 6.

Game 7, anybody's game. Vasilevskiy has been so impressive, I think he's been the top player, just hoping the Isles can get to him early in 7, get him second-guessing and take it home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Islander Class
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad