GDT: Semifinals - May 21 - Finland (3) vs Russia (1)

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
no more ******** plays and trying to injure another teams members ratface Perry I am looking at you. play the game respect your opponents you know like basic stuff in life. :nod:

Yeah about that, Iltalehti was taking a whole lotta different kind of approach when reporting that Komarov in 1st "by accident" bumped into Telegin when he was on his way to the box.

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Speaking of injuring, I was around 100% sure the Telegin injury was intentionally filming at the time, and my opinion hasn't changed. There's no way Russia would use a 4th liner on PP especially with only 3 minutes left and considering their stacked lineup and how they were making their best players play even more than usual. Hence, they send Telegin, a player they aren't even planning on using in the lineup from that moment on, and they have him pretend to be injured and attempt to draw a penalty.

I was surprised the refs handled that so well. The thing that injured or "injured" him was just normal, even especially mild stuff in front of the goal and even if he got injured due to it, it was clearly an accident. That sort of a thing happens 50 times a match.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Speaking of injuring, I was around 100% sure the Telegin injury was intentionally filming at the time, and my opinion hasn't changed. There's no way Russia would use a 4th liner on PP especially with only 3 minutes left and considering their stacked lineup and how they were making their best players play even more than usual. Hence, they send Telegin, a player they aren't even planning on using in the lineup from that moment on, and they have him pretend to be injured and attempt to draw a penalty.

I was surprised the refs handled that so well. The thing that injured or "injured" him was just normal, even especially mild stuff in front of the goal and even if he got injured due to it, it was clearly an accident. That sort of a thing happens 50 times a match.

Telegin was one of most dangerous and better players on team Russia IMO.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
Gusev could have been called, but I wouldn't trust him a big role so far. Zaripov is way past his prime, he got carried by Mozyakin the entire KHL season. Afther the Kovalchuk's playoff debacle, he'd be the last needed player on the national team. I feel you're just hating on AO, like he's some kind of deity who just didn't want to defeat those little mortals.

Sure, but none of Finnish goals were scored by overpowering our defencemen or driving towards the net. And no, Laine didn't "make a game".

I think they did overpower them - Aho and Laine are pretty big, strong guys, they keep the puck away from the defensemen, circle and around and create chaos. The Russian D is just not ready for forwards like that. We need a strong defensive system, otherwise Team Russia won't be able to compete against the best of the best, and today those are Teams Canada and Finland.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
^^^

Telegin's injury is being reported as a broken ankle or worse. He wasn't faking it.

jaloviina

1-2-3 stars!
Dec 24, 2015
Bunch of Jerks Finland
Telegin was one of most dangerous and better players on team Russia IMO.
agreed :nod: and they played with great heart and spirit. great job by team Russia. Man what would I pay to see that this team Finland vs. the Stanley Cup winners. You know Koskinen refused several offers from NHL if he isn't guaranteed to play as no. 1 I think his agent might been getting few calls now. Leafs need a good goalie, Flames and Oilers too. Finnish goalies FTW :yo:

jaloviina

1-2-3 stars!
Dec 24, 2015
Bunch of Jerks Finland
I think they did overpower them - Aho and Laine are pretty big, strong guys, they keep the puck away from the defensemen, circle and around and create chaos. The Russian D is just not ready for forwards like that. We need a strong defensive system, otherwise Team Russia won't be able to compete against the best of the best, and today those are Teams Canada and Finland.
Aho isn't that big but agreed. maybe you should get finnish coach and then you will steam roll everyone soviet style. :naughty:

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Source?

Because in finnish tabloid they reported that he will play in bronze medal game.And that quote is based on sport-express.

See below.

Patrick C
‏@ChunkletsHockey Patrick C Retweeted Подслушано - хоккей
Russian F Ivan Telegin apparently sustained a broken ankle vs. Finland and maybe a fractured fibula as well.Patrick C added,

Подслушано - хоккей @slysh_hockey
Иван Телегин получил перелом лодыжки и ушиб голеностопного сустава. Под вопросом перелом малой берцовой кости левой ноги.

Здоровья, мужик!

Murky

Jan 28, 2006

I don't know. Aho is not big at all and Laine didn't really caterpillar his way to anywhere either. I still think there is nothing really wrong with your team. I would certainly take Team Russia personnel on defense over Team Finland.

I think it is just a mental thing and mostly RNG as I said earlier. The tournament format is built for randomness. Also Team Finland gets underrated as per usual and this time two of their top lines are lead by premier two way centers making it kinda hard to win against them.

And to make things even more confusing, I would still take Datsyuk, 37, over either of Koivu or Barkov right now.

In conclusion, it is RNG. Don't worry. World Cup is just a few months away :)

jaloviina

1-2-3 stars!
Dec 24, 2015
Bunch of Jerks Finland
See below.

Patrick C
‏@ChunkletsHockey Patrick C Retweeted Подслушано - хоккей
Russian F Ivan Telegin apparently sustained a broken ankle vs. Finland and maybe a fractured fibula as well.Patrick C added,

Подслушано - хоккей @slysh_hockey
Иван Телегин получил перелом лодыжки и ушиб голеностопного сустава. Под вопросом перелом малой берцовой кости левой ноги.

Здоровья, мужик!
:shakehead oh no. how in the hell in that situation? :shakehead:shakehead some really bad luck for him. hope it isn't as serious as it seems now. :shakehead

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
The problem with only using the Olympics as a measuring stick, which Canadians want to do because they won the last 2, is that is too narrow and it doesn't tell you anything more than the WC does. Since the NHL started joining in on the Olympics in 1998, Canada and Russia have only played twice. The record is 1-1. Total goals 7-5. There is no difference in quality according to those numbers.

There is a massive difference in investment between Canada and the rest of the World in hockey, so you would think that Canada would actually be doing a lot better than they have done. If they come out as dead-legged and lifeless tomorrow as they did today against the US, Finland will excise them.

Canada has won the last 4 out of 5 Best on Best tournaments- 2002 Olympics, 2004 World Cup, 2010 Olympics and 2014 Olympics. It is not Canada's fault that Russia and Canada have only met twice. Russia chokes- so they cannot meet Canada for Gold. It is not Canada's fault that Russia was embarrassed in 4 out of the 5 Best on Best tournaments. Even in the 2006 Olympics- they failed to capture a medal and finished 4th.

I said it before- Russia is an overrated hockey nation. A true paper tiger. They were successful in the 70's and 80's because they were the USSR, and beat up everyone's amateur players. Great individual talented players- but have not won nothing since the 1992 Olympics. The WHC's are irrelevant- since they are not Best on Best. Even today- Russia lays another egg on home ice. Embarrassing- since the Russians actually care about the WHC, unlike North Americans.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I hope the underdog Finland can upset the favorite Canada tomorrow (today). It is still Canada with a far better offensive player material. I mean just look at their point totalls in the NHL.

Loving Finland as the underdog as usual. I'm not trying to jinx anything by the way :).

jaloviina

1-2-3 stars!
Dec 24, 2015
Bunch of Jerks Finland
I hope the underdog Finland can upset the favorite Canada tomorrow (today). It is still Canada with a far better offensive player material. I mean just look at their point totalls in the NHL.

Loving Finland as the underdog as usual. I'm not trying to jinx anything by the way :).
heheheh yeah and I hope that Perry plays a great game maybe Komarov can hug him if he feels sad. :sarcasm::handclap::yo::popcorn:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Yah another 4-0 upset. 2 in a row... soon they won't be calling it an upset.

Finland 2016 Hockey Nation for the ages.

Hockeygod66

Mar 25, 2007
Funny how your tune changes after Russia lays another egg on home ice. Embarrassing performance against Finland. You were arguing that Russia was better than Canada a few months ago. They have not won a single Best on Best tournament since the first World Cup of Hockey in 1996. .

Canada, Finland and the USA are the top three Hockey Nations right now (that order can be argued though). Russia has great individual talent, but for some reason cannot get it done as a team. Russia should win Bronze. It would be a total disaster if they do not.

I'd have Sweden over Finland for sure. They like the american's sent a D squad while the Russians sent mostly their best. Pretty sad performance for the Russians.

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
I'd have Sweden over Finland for sure. They like the american's sent a D squad while the Russians sent mostly their best. Pretty sad performance for the Russians.

If you rate hockey nations by hockey individuals, then Russia is also ahead of Finland. Easily. But that's not how actual hockey works. It doesn't matter all that much which individuals the countries send to the competition.

It's like taking an NHL all star team and throwing it on a week's notice against prime Chicago Blackhawks. The all star team will get swept. It won't even look competitive.

The Finnish national team has stable coaching and management and a system that works in modern hockey. That's why they keep winning against big countries and racking up the medals. Russians on the other hand haven't had a system in thirty years. Their national team still uses the 'you're skilled guys, do whatever you want, let your talent flow' playbook that hasn't worked in decades. I'm pretty sure that even they have to wake up after yet another embarassment and have a close look at how hockey in their country is coached.

Finland is a top three team by objective standards in international competition.

IDeyChopNaira*

Canada has won the last 4 out of 5 Best on Best tournaments- 2002 Olympics, 2004 World Cup, 2010 Olympics and 2014 Olympics. It is not Canada's fault that Russia and Canada have only met twice. Russia chokes- so they cannot meet Canada for Gold. It is not Canada's fault that Russia was embarrassed in 4 out of the 5 Best on Best tournaments. Even in the 2006 Olympics- they failed to capture a medal and finished 4th.

I said it before- Russia is an overrated hockey nation. A true paper tiger. They were successful in the 70's and 80's because they were the USSR, and beat up everyone's amateur players. Great individual talented players- but have not won nothing since the 1992 Olympics. The WHC's are irrelevant- since they are not Best on Best. Even today- Russia lays another egg on home ice. Embarrassing- since the Russians actually care about the WHC, unlike North Americans.

Mehar,

So you mean team Canada at the Canada Cups were amateurs?? I remember those 8-1, 6-5, 5-6 games.

And if you look at the Canada's roster at IIHF Hockey Worlds in the 80's and early 1990s you will see find such amateur names as:
Gretzky
Yzerman
M Lemieux
Messier
Hawerchuk
Gartner
Coffey
MacInnis
Gilmour
Nicholls
Bellows
and tons of other.

And they only won 1 game against the USSR in a whole decade.

Canada sending amateur teams in the 80s is a myth. That's why it is highly recommended to do your research before you post

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Mehar,

So you mean team Canada at the Canada Cups were amateurs?? I remember those 8-1, 6-5, 5-6 games.

And if you look at the Canada's roster at IIHF Hockey Worlds in the 80's and early 1990s you will see find such amateur names as:
Gretzky
Yzerman
M Lemieux
Messier
Hawerchuk
Gartner
Coffey
MacInnis
Gilmour
Nicholls
Bellows
and tons of other.

And they only won 1 game against the USSR in a whole decade.

Canada sending amateur teams in the 80s is a myth. That's why it is highly recommended to do your research before you post

He said everyone's amateur teams. Excluding Canada's and US NHL players and the occasional appearance by the few NHL players from Sweden and Finland, up to the mid-to-late 80's they were facing more or less semi-pros. It was not uncommon fro several of Finland's domestic players to have another job basically until the mid and latter part of the decade.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad