GDT: Semifinals - May 21 - Finland (3) vs Russia (1)

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
Gusev could have been called, but I wouldn't trust him a big role so far. Zaripov is way past his prime, he got carried by Mozyakin the entire KHL season. Afther the Kovalchuk's playoff debacle, he'd be the last needed player on the national team. I feel you're just hating on AO, like he's some kind of deity who just didn't want to defeat those little mortals.

I'm not hating on Ovechkin, I just compare his best goals to how he's like today. And he seems a shadow of his former self, unfortunately. I'm actually a fan and am very happy that he has continued his over 50 goalscoring this season.

Khoenator

May 14, 2016
Not to mention that penalty on Ovechkin (that led to 3-1) was a really bad call that would never be called in the NHL

That might be true.

All things considered I thought there were soft calls and non-calls but for both teams pretty equally.
So.. bad reffing with pretty fair aftertaste.

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
I'm not hating on Ovechkin, I just compare his best goals to how he's like today. And he seems a shadow of his former self, unfortunately. I'm actually a fan and am very happy that he has continued his over 50 goalscoring this season.

It might be time to stop calling him over after the playoffs.

He isn't young anymore.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
:facepalm: And what does Ovechkin's game 10 years ago have to do with this championship? Accuse Larionov and Kamenskiy of sitting in a studio instead of leading the team on ice next time.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
It might be time to stop calling him over after the playoffs.

He isn't young anymore.

Don't know, overall a huge disappointment for Russian hockey. The defensive has let us down again and again, and yet we can't seem to solve the problem.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
:facepalm: And what does Ovechkin's game 10 years ago have to do with this championship? Accuse Larionov and Kamenskiy of sitting in a studio instead of leading the team on ice next time.

Maybe Larionov needs to take over coaching, that guy isn't bone-headed like Znarok.

GFG

Oct 19, 2013
Good game, good result :)
I hope Russia still shows up tomorrow despite the disappointment, getting bronze in front of the home crowd is still better than getting nothing.

LemurFromTheId

Feb 21, 2014
your expecting a guy who played a full nhl season and 2 tough playoff series to come to a tourney and take over? theres is a reason why a lot of nhl players arent coming over, they are tired and need rests. ovechkin had to come over as its in russia

That's kinda funny, seeing how this was Laine's 99th game of the season...

But I get your point.

jaloviina

1-2-3 stars!
Dec 24, 2015
Bunch of Jerks Finland
I thought that it was a very good game had to run from work to the nearest bar to watch it :laugh:

I think Russia played very well and had sometimes bad puck luck etc. and man that team Finland with their young guns thats something. in the end of the second period I was afraid that Russia will turn it in to blood bath (I have despised team Russias coach and never thought he was any good.) he proved me wrong Russia came strong playing clean and not taking any dumb penalties in the end he pulled the goalie at the right spot etc. very good game team Russia and all the best for you in the future. :handclap:

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Russia over-playing their icons as usual.

Ovy had no business playing that whole pp and 6 vs 5 at the end.

Russia's coaching is almost as bad as Sweden's for God's sake.

6zag

Apr 30, 2016
Ovechkin played almost 10 minutes more than Panarin. Who even had more points than he did in the NHL. Played almost 8 more minutes than the player who leads the tournament scoring by a 2.0 PPG. Just.. why? Why would the Russian coaches do this same mistake over and over again every single tournament?

EDIT: Obviously i'm happy they do, but I'm just wondering.

weetabix

Sep 6, 2004
You can of course blame it on Russians defence, but come on. One goal very few times wins you a game. Offence was the one that was disappointing. Defence was good enough to win you a game (as was goalie).

Murky

Jan 28, 2006
Ovi bashing is baseless because he did his job. You simply cannot expect the shots to go in. What you can expect is getting the opportunities and delivering the shot. He did.

I would absolutely not read much to this loss no matter how many there has been. There is nothing wrong with Russia let alone Ovechkin. Win some lose some.

Russia played with a lot of heart you can see it in replays as they are being super clean not to draw penalties. That is 100% team game. Finns just scored more, today.

jaloviina

1-2-3 stars!
Dec 24, 2015
Bunch of Jerks Finland
Ovi bashing is baseless because he did his job. You simply cannot expect the shots to go in. What you can expect is getting the opportunities and delivering the shot. He did.

I would absolutely not read much to this loss no matter how many there has been. There is nothing wrong with Russia let alone Ovechkin. Win some lose some.

Russia played with a lot of heart you can see it in replays as they are being super clean not to draw penalties. That is 100% team game. Finns just scored more, today.
before the game I said to my friends that Russia has better individuals but Finland has the better team (and not too shabby individuals too :naughty: ) and better team won congrats to team Russia still I was really afraid that they would crumble out of frustration and get stupid penalties etc. they came all cylinders firing in the third but not taking any stupid frustration penalties. probably the best team Finland has faced.

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
Ovechkin played almost 10 minutes more than Panarin. Who even had more points than he did in the NHL. Played almost 8 more minutes than the player who leads the tournament scoring by a 2.0 PPG. Just.. why? Why would the Russian coaches do this same mistake over and over again every single tournament?

EDIT: Obviously i'm happy they do, but I'm just wondering.

They're dumb.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
The Europeans live and die with this tournament. Many Canadians like me hardly live and die with this tournament, since it is not best on best. I expected Canada to lose to Sweden.

This is not a best on best tournament (great hockey though), going on in the amazing Stanley Cup Playoffs. I expect Finland to win Gold. Russians like you are probably crushed right now, since you actually take this tournament very seriously.

North American hockey players and fans do not care about it- and that is wrong since it is great hockey. If Canada comes back with at least a medal i am happy. If not- it does not change anything. I am shocked they made it that far given how inferior the lineup is of Team Canada than last year. You Russians who have Ovechkin flying over the last minute, because they love this tournament- should critically examine why Russia continues to fail on every best on best tournament. This was a very disappointing outcome just like Sochi.

The problem with only using the Olympics as a measuring stick, which Canadians want to do because they won the last 2, is that is too narrow and it doesn't tell you anything more than the WC does. Since the NHL started joining in on the Olympics in 1998, Canada and Russia have only played twice. The record is 1-1. Total goals 7-5. There is no difference in quality according to those numbers.

There is a massive difference in investment between Canada and the rest of the World in hockey, so you would think that Canada would actually be doing a lot better than they have done. If they come out as dead-legged and lifeless tomorrow as they did today against the US, Finland will excise them.

6zag

Apr 30, 2016

Wait, so you can't even expect a goal from a guy who plays 24 minutes (close to 10 minutes came from 3rd period)? A winger playing that long is just absurd. (in a game that doesn't go into OT and when the team has 4 goddamn lines with talented people.)

I'm not even bashing Ovi, I'm bashing the coach for letting him play as long as he pleases. He wasn't bad, but he wasn't worth the ice time he had.

Last edited:

Murky

Jan 28, 2006
Wait, so you can't even expect a goal from a guy who plays 24 minutes?

I'm not even bashing Ovi, I'm bashing the coach for letting him play as long as he pleases. He wasn't bad, but he wasn't worth the ice time he had.

No you can't expect a goal from a guy playing 24 minutes. Just pause and think about the math in that and how many goals would be scored a game if you could.

You can expect a good goal scorer and a shooter like Ovi more specifically, is that he gets guality shots on goal. He did that today. Sometimes none of them go in. Often even.

Ovechkin did his job. Russia played as a team which can be seen in their PIM stat and in the way they passed instead of carrying the puck all over. They just didn't score enough.

It happens no one is to blame. But if you want to blame something blame the tournament format for making one loss so crucial.

There was nothing wrong with Team Russia today. Finland just was better and scored more goals.

6zag

Apr 30, 2016
No you can't expect a goal from a guy playing 24 minutes. Just pause and think about the math in that and how many goals would be scored a game if you could.

I paused, thought and calculated.

Ovechkin played around 20 minutes per game with a 0.65 goals per game ratio during the NHL regular season. When you add 4 minutes to that.. According to percentages, yes, you can expect a goal from him when he's playing that much. Actually only 1/4 chance that he wouldn't if it comes down to math.

Either way, you have your opinion, I have mine. I'll rest my case there, I'm happy Finland won anyway.

jaloviina

1-2-3 stars!
Dec 24, 2015
Bunch of Jerks Finland
Yakushev72 said:

You can expect a good goal scorer and a shooter like Ovi more specifically, is that he gets guality shots on goal. He did that today. Sometimes none of them go in. Often even.

Ovechkin did his job. Russia played as a team which can be seen in their PIM stat and in the way they passed instead of carrying the puck all over. They just didn't score enough.

It happens no one is to blame. But if you want to blame something blame the tournament format for making one loss so crucial.

There was nothing wrong with Team Russia today. Finland just was better and scored more goals.

Good post. I would offer that Finland invests as much as Canada does but obviously they do not have the population.
agreed. maybe Canada will win gold tomorrow who knows but team Russia played very well and I find it hard to see that team Canada has the tools to stop this Finnish Juggernaut. I just hope team Canada plays with the same integrity as team Russia did. no more ******** plays and trying to injure another teams members ratface Perry I am looking at you. play the game respect your opponents you know like basic stuff in life. :nod:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Any news on Telegin? How was he hurt/injured, will he play tomorrow?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad