GDT: Semifinals - February 23 - Canada (3) vs Germany (4)

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I like the result. The US and Canada getting upset is good for the game. Hopefully Germany wins the gold and youth hockey picks up in Germany.

The NHL is doing everything in their power to get more Americans in the game.
If this helps Germany, it would be great.
When did the US get upset? Nobody expected them to do well...

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Is there something wrong with that? Not really.

Yeah there is actually, and on a multitude of levels.... However your new here, and Welcome to hf Boards.... look up page, and you'll see that the title of this thread does not include nor ask anyone to get into a debate about the various issues your bringing up. Hijacking a thread absolutely verboten here, everywhere. There are threads here on NHL Genl, on Business of Hockey for example that do discuss these issues so if you'd like to chat about them... take it there. Find the appropriate Board & Thread,take some time to fully explore this site, fill your boots, have fun. But this? Inappropriate thread for the issues your raising.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Losing is important.

Losing in 1998 taught Canada a lot about how to organize themselves for international hockey in the modern age.

Losing in 2006 taught Canada not to simply pick players because you like them, or they won before, but because of how they are playing at that given time.

Losing this tournament will tell Hockey Canada that maybe if they want to continue to win Gold Medals at the highest level, they'll have to apply some pressure to the players and the owners.

I know it’s not Canada, but...... I can provide another example of this.

When Sweden lost the way they did to Belarus in 2002, it was a cold harsh reminder that the style and system they had been playing (Hardy Nilsson’s Torpedo) they thought was enough to win was not. Not just the Salo goal, but the way their big names seemed to tighten up when the game was still tied even before THAT moment.

And not to mention this was on the heels of a prior humbling Olympic quarterfinal loss to Finland in Nagano, which was bad enough considering the rivalry those countries have.

Enter the defensive minded Bengt-Ake Gustafsson.

Result? Sweden in 2006 pulled off a first ever at the time for any country Olympic Gold/World Championship double.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Let's be real- this Canadian roster was a joke. I am surprised they made it this far. What pisses me off, is you will see some Russian posters call themselves the best in the world after they win Gold on Sunday. You will not be the best in the world. 2014, 2010, 2006, 2002, 1998 (the best on best tournaments) proved it. This tournament was another Spengler Cup.

The only way Russia can win, is when they are facing everyone's amateurs and marginal talent. Just like those supposed great Russian teams of the 70's. Funny thing is- the people of Russia are too gullible to believe that. They will celebrate like they are the best in the world. If Canada had won Gold, nobody here would be rioting and celebrating, because everyone knows this tournament (without NHL players) is another Spengler Cup. Sweden, Canada, USA, and Finland (with their best players) are ahead of Russia.

Last edited:

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
And what about Canada only winning at home with their own referees?

2014- Canada won in Sochi, Russia. 2002 was in the USA. Canada won in their home ice in 2010, and Russia choked on their home ice in 2014. This tournament does not prove anything. Sweden and Canada (with their best players) would crush Germany. Russia has never won a best on best tournament. You Russian posters, should not call yourself Number 1, by winning this joke tournament. Congrats on the Gold.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
And what about Canada only winning at home with their own referees?
Let's be real again, if this tournament had the best players in the world- Canada, Sweden, the USA, and Finland would have been the final 4. All those countries instead had early exits. People need to stop pretending that this tournament proves who the best is in the world.

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow
Let's be real- this Canadian roster was a joke. I am surprised they made it this far. What pisses me off, is you will see some Russian posters call themselves the best in the world after they win Gold on Sunday. You will not be the best in the world. 2014, 2010, 2006, 2002, 1998 (the best on best tournaments) proved it. This tournament was another Spengler Cup.

The only way Russia can win, is when they are facing everyone's amateurs and marginal talent. Just like those supposed great Russian teams of the 70's. Funny thing is- the people of Russia are too gullible to believe that. They will celebrate like they are the best in the world. If Canada had won Gold, nobody here would be rioting and celebrating, because everyone knows this tournament (without NHL players) is another Spengler Cup. Sweden, Canada, USA, and Finland (with their best players) are ahead of Russia.

Don't be a sore loser, ain't nobody claimed we have the strongest team in the world. We haven't even won a gold medal yet. However, do I need to remind that Russia was a top-3 national team in the last World Cup?

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
One country loss is anothers one fortune! Just remember this means so much for German team and hockey! Dominik Bokk maybe might get drafted in 1st round in NHL draft as well! Go underdogs!

Reactions: Devonator and Lauro

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Doesn't excuse the loss today. People like to claim Canada's B and C teams could wipe the floor with other countries. Turns out that's false.
If Canada's B and C teams were here, they would have wiped the floor with the other countries B or C Teams. This team was more like a team Z. I had to google to look up who most of these players were, especially the starting goalie.

I said before this tournament- if Canada won, it would not have meant anything. It is a Spengler Cup event. Yet, these Russians and Germans are now saying online that they are better at hockey than Canada. You guys are jokers. Canada would have crushed Germany and Russia with their B or C teams. Today's Team was a Team Z, made up of guys i never heard of before. Stop pretending that this tournament proves anything. The only way Russia can win, which is never best on best.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi

Agreed. This Canadian team was a complete hodgepdge of basically ECHL quality players who play scattered all over Europe. They won the Spengler Cup and this was their FIRST regulation loss under Willie D. since his hiring. Needless to say this will mean nothing to his haters (hello Canuck fans!) but considering that we were somewhere around 6th or 7th in actual talent I feel this team has done the country proud. Congrats to Germany who deserved the win and this success; hope they can run the table.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I think you also have to give Sturm a tremendous amount of credit . He allways had his team putting their all on the line despite not beeing the most talented team. The last two WHC the German team played very well too .

I hope he gets a chance to coach in the NHL if he wants. No reason why he can't.

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
A group of us were fortunate to spend a few minutes with a very well-known Canadian hockey celebrity about 25 years ago. I cannot recall what led the conversation in this direction, but he said that if the Germans ever decided to dedicate themselves to hockey, they could be a real power, given their characteristics(precision, strength, etc). While today's result is hardly validation of that statement, it would certainly German hockey is on an upswing.

BTW, the person who told us this? Don Cherry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad