GDT: Semifinals - February 23 - Canada (3) vs Germany (4)

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Meh. As soon as the NHLers were told they couldn't go, this tournament had about as much relevance as my kid's five year old hockey tournament at the local community club. The main difference was that they didn't keep score with my kid's tournament. The Olympics hockey tournament proved absolutely nothing this year. Before the tournament started, I figured anybody could win at any time and this proved it. Germany's Canadian-born players beat Canada's team of "oh, I forgot about him" and "never heard of him". Good for Germany. Nobody, not even Russian hockey fans once they win the gold, believes that this tournament means anything.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Let's be real again, if this tournament had the best players in the world- Canada, Sweden, the USA, and Finland would have been the final 4. All those countries instead had early exits. People need to stop pretending that this tournament proves who the best is in the world.
Nobody but one troll did. Somehow it became a topic.

SwissGrog

Oct 10, 2012
For those talking about team Z, please provide 25 better rosters before making such claims. Upset happens . Germany had more heart tonight. And as Swiss i know it hurts...but congrats Germany , i think it could become the first nation winning major tournament in soccer and hockey in modern times!

eal

Sep 5, 2014
Awesome result for Germany, and always good to see Canada lose. The reaction of some Canadian fans on this forum only serves as a reminder as to why Canada is the great enemy.

Reactions: Atticus Finch

ThaiTanicDK

Oct 26, 2016
Why can't the salty Canadians just be happy for Germany? Like every hockey fan in the world knows that if NHL players were allowed, the top 6 would have looked very different.

Stop acting as if any team had their best teams at this event and appreciate new nations showing up to fight with what they got.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Why can't the salty Canadians just be happy for Germany? Like every hockey fan in the world knows that if NHL players were allowed, the top 6 would have looked very different.

Stop acting as if any team had their best teams at this event and appreciate new nations showing up to fight with what they got.
I'm happy for Germany. Don't get me wrong, I'm very frustrated at the result but I'll be cheering for them in the gold medal game. Really feels like Team Canada really underestimated the Germans in the first 30 minutes.

This is why I like the olympics without NHL players. It really levels the playing field IMO.

Edit: After a quick look at active NHLers, that's probably Canada's "Q squad".

Reactions: Frannel

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
A group of us were fortunate to spend a few minutes with a very well-known Canadian hockey celebrity about 25 years ago. I cannot recall what led the conversation in this direction, but he said that if the Germans ever decided to dedicate themselves to hockey, they could be a real power, given their characteristics(precision, strength, etc). While today's result is hardly validation of that statement, it would certainly German hockey is on an upswing.

BTW, the person who told us this? Don Cherry.

Ya, this is great for Germany & hopefully it provides some inspiration for kids who might be thinking about or are playing hockey over there. And ya, its always been surprising that an Alpine Nation like Germany didnt completely embrace the game a lot earlier however... socio-political nightmare that was that country for most of the 20th & early 21st Centuries... hardly surprising. Whats resulted a rather dysfunctional situation between amateur & elite, the pro league undergoing turmoil at various times & so on so yes, this is really great to see!.

Reactions: Frannel and Eisen

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Canadians are salty because they know that these Olympics are more relevant than any little circus tournament the NHL puts up..but by being entirely captive to 32 businessmen who don't give a damn about anyone other than themselves..they managed to basically lock themselves out of it. I still think it's hilarious when Canadian and American fans side with the owners in these disputes as if these owners give two damns about the fans. They're not 'your' guys just because most of them are North American in origin. They'd put the Cup Finals in China if they could make a buck more with it.

Frannel

Dec 27, 2017
Berlin
Congrats to Germany, I hope this is a huge moment for German hockey. Them making it to the gold medal game and potentially winning the gold means a lot more for their country than Canada.

Canadians played hard but you can't come back from 3 goal deficits.
It actually feels like gold already just getting this far! It's also what Kahun said after the game: "We can't lose anything now anymore. I will never stop wearing this medal" - meaning that even the silver medal is a huge win for German hockey!

Reactions: Faterson

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Canadians are salty because they know that these Olympics are more relevant than any little circus tournament the NHL puts up..but by being entirely captive to 32 businessmen who don't give a damn about anyone other than themselves..they managed to basically lock themselves out of it. I still think it's hilarious when Canadian and American fans side with the owners in these disputes as if these owners give two damns about the fans. They're not 'your' guys just because most of them are North American in origin. They'd put the Cup Finals in China if they could make a buck more with it.
Why would Canadians be salty? We've won every best on best tournament in recent memory.

It's unfortunate that the owners are greedy and won't let NHL players go, makes the tournament almost worthless to a lot of fans. If the Canadians won I would have been happy but honestly I'm more happy that a country like Germany gets to go to the gold medal game, and maybe it will inspire young kids to try hockey.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

Where are these salty posts?

All I read are whining posts from others talking about how salty Canadians are and Canadians saying congrats but this tournament doesn't mean much.

And the reason why people like the World Cup was because it was infinitely more interesting, better quality and relevant than this tournament.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm happy for Germany, let's hope they complete the fairy tale story and take home gold.

There are 423 Canadians in the NHL this year. For simplicity sake let's just divide 423 by a 23 man roster. That's 18.39. So let's loosely say this is Canada's 19th best possible team (our "S" team alphabetically). We just lost to what's pretty close to Germany's best (Draisaitl is the big ommission - not much else). Should that be a surprise? I don't think so.

Comparing it to soccer where Germany is a powerhouse... would Canada be able to beat Germany's "S team"? Maybe not actually, we completely suck at soccer.

Reactions: Frannel

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville

Who you callin' salty???
Anyways, speaking for myself, I have a very difficult time feeling happy for the opposition after being beaten by them. Plus, on another note, I'd like Canada to finish ahead of Germany in the medal race (including the race for gold medals), so I'm really torn as who to cheer for in the gold medal game.

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
I'm happy for Germany, let's hope they complete the fairy tale story and take home gold.

There are 423 Canadians in the NHL this year. For simplicity sake let's just divide 423 by a 23 man roster. That's 18.39. So let's loosely say this is Canada's 19th best possible team (our "S" team alphabetically). We just lost to what's pretty close to Germany's best (Draisaitl is the big ommission - not much else). Should that be a surprise? I don't think so.

Comparing it to soccer where Germany is a powerhouse... would Canada be able to beat Germany's "S team"? Maybe not actually, we completely suck at soccer.

Even with your S team it's still a very big surprise. Canadians playing in Russia/Sweden/Finland/Switzerland > Canadians playing in Germany > Germans playing in Germany.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

Wrong. As much as I despise some of the things the NHL does, has done & continues to do, it pales in comparison to the contempt I have for the IOC... who can go straight to Hell as far as I'm concerned. Ya the "NHL WC" is a farce. Requires 3rd party outside intervention by a Sports Marketing & Management Team that knows what their doing.... As for future Winter Olympic Games, I'm fine with sending the top Canadian University Team, Sr.A Allan Cup Champions or whatever & if they medal, great. If they dont? Too bad so sad but at least the players got to experience the event, something they can one day share with their Grandkids.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->