GDT: Semifinals - February 23 - Canada (3) vs Germany (4)

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
It actually feels like gold already just getting this far! It's also what Kahun said after the game: "We can't lose anything now anymore. I will never stop wearing this medal" - meaning that even the silver medal is a huge win for German hockey!
It's their best hockey result ever. In all history of the Olympics. That includes amateur games and 4 teams competing for the medal.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I am a Russian fan and I believe this tournament means something. If no one in Canada cares, I don't care.
So you are wrong in your statement. If best opponent's side didn't come it's a problem of those who didn't come.
Okay I'll bite... what does it mean? Hockey supremacy? If so, how? Current best nation in hockey? If so, how?

It means one thing. The winner of the men's hockey tournament will be most successful team that competed in the 2018 Olympic men's hockey tournament. That's about it.

If it's any consolation, I'm kinda leaning towards cheering for the Olympic Athletes from Russian... they've won very little in the Olympics this time around so they might has well have this little thing, and I want Canada to finish ahead of Germany in Gold medals.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Comparing it to soccer where Germany is a powerhouse... would Canada be able to beat Germany's "S team"? Maybe not actually, we completely suck at soccer.

I don't think Canada could beat Luxembourgs S side.

Germanys S side likely beats us by 5.

Reactions: Faterson

Clrs

Feb 15, 2010
It means one thing. The winner of the men's hockey tournament will be most successful team that competed in the 2018 Olympic men's hockey tournament. That's about it.
It means exactly what you said. In 2018 it's the best hockey national team in the world. Any arguments against it? All whines about best on best leave for your kitchen talks. Come next Games with your best squad and check how far you go. If you don't come, we don't care. Continue listing yout z, q, c and other teams on paper.

Reactions: Faterson

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
It means exactly what you said. In 2018 it's the best hockey national team in the world. Any arguments against it? All whines about best on best leave for your kitchen talks. Come next Games with your best squad and check how far you go. If you don't come, we don't care. Continue listing yout z, q, c and other teams on paper.
The Germans beat the Canadian oldtimer team and deserve to play in the gold metal game against Russia's best. No problem.;)

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Where are these salty posts?

All I read are whining posts from others talking about how salty Canadians are and Canadians saying congrats but this tournament doesn't mean much.

... which constitutes them being salty. The world's greatest sporting event "doesn't mean much", yeah, right.

And the reason why people like the World Cup was because it was infinitely more interesting

:eek: I beg your pardon? My country had the goaltender, GM and several key players playing in the finals of the NHL's ridiculous Gimmick Cup, but I have yet to meet a hockey fan, from my country or elsewhere, who gave a damn about that charade of a pre-season exhibition tournament.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
'Sigh, fine people, we've won every best on best for the last 12 years.

I used recent memory for a reason. If we want to keep going back we can say we've lost once in best on best in 16 years. The point remains, Canadians have nothing to be salty of right now. We have dominated best on best tournaments as of late.

Teams are starting to catch up and we have had some troubling results at the U20 tournament, but if and when there is another best on best tournament, we will be the favourite once again.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
... which constitutes them being salty. The world's greatest sporting event "doesn't mean much", yeah, right.

:eek: I beg your pardon? My country had the goaltender, GM and several key players playing in the finals of the NHL's ridiculous Gimmick Cup, but I have yet to meet a hockey fan, from my country or elsewhere, who gave a damn about that charade of a pre-season exhibition tournament.

But it isn't close to being the worlds biggest hockey tournament at all. In fact you could easily say it was behind the Stanley Cup play-offs, World Cup, WHC and WJHC in terms of importance and relevancy.

That's great if your country (that isn't close to good enough to even partake in best on best tournaments anyways) didn't care, but the tournament is the only best on best tournament we have right now and is much more relevant than any other International hockey tournament out there.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.

This tournament means nothing in the sense of which country is the best at hockey. Absolutely nothing, 0, zilch. There is really no way to argue that it does.

All this being said, the Germans should be very happy to be guaranteed at least a silver medal at the Olympics, it is a great honour even if it is not best on best.

Frannel

Dec 27, 2017
Berlin
When the game started the were showing Biathlon. You could watch afterBiathlon was over and it was already 1-0.

Okay. Didn't know that since I was learning for a math exam on Monday and only switched on my tv in the first intermission... sorry!

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
'Sigh, fine people, we've won every best on best for the last 12 years.

Problems with basic math? 2018 - 12 = 2006, and you got defeated in 2006. Yeah, you won two tourneys in 2010 and 2014, while enjoying the massive advantage of home ice (and non-standard ice for international hockey) in the former. Big deal! Also enjoying considerable luck in 2010, see Demitra's missing a wide-open net in the final seconds of the 2010 semifinals. (But given the failing memory and math you've been displaying here, you likely forgot all about that as well.)

marcsson68

Jan 23, 2018
Some stupid stuff being posted here.

If you want to improve your chances to win a gold medal, better find a way to send your best players. If not, don't start to debate what might have been.

This still is a major upset by a hockey midget. A trap game with many factors involved. Luck, arrogance, bad goaltending, lack of discipline, heroic fighting among them.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Problems with basic math? 2018 - 12 = 2006, and you got defeated in 2006. Yeah, you won two tourneys in 2010 and 2014, while enjoying the massive advantage of home ice (and non-standard ice for international hockey) in the former. Big deal! Also enjoying considerable luck in 2010, see Demitra's missing a wide-open net in the final seconds of the 2010 semifinals. (But given the failing memory and math you've been displaying here, you likely forgot all about that as well.)
Has it not been 12 years since we lost? Maybe you should learn some basic math, friendo.

So much salt, you should get checked for hypertension.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
I am stunned. This could have been a Canada "Z" team, but it still should not have lost to Germany. Kudos to the Germans though. They played their hearts out.

Reactions: Frannel

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
In fact you could easily say it was behind the Stanley Cup play-offs, World Cup, WHC and WJHC in terms of importance and relevancy.

No one could "easily" say that – I'd have to be heavily drunk or drugged to say that. World Championships are obviously inferior compared to the Olympics, let alone a junior tournament. World Cup doesn't exist – I hope you don't consider the 2016 Gimmick Cup a legitimate "World Cup". And of course the Olympics are more significant for an international audience than the play-offs of a domestic league.

That's great if your country (that isn't close to good enough to even partake in best on best tournaments anyways) didn't care

Check your geography. My country does take part in best-on-best tournaments. (Again, I trust you're not suggesting the 2016 Gimmick Cup was a "best-on-best tournament".)

Reactions: stampedingviking

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad