GDT: Semifinal - May 25 - Russia vs Finland

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
Finland knows how to beat Russia even as huge underdogs.
Politics and history is almost forbidden to talk about here, but those who want to know probably can find out themselves by googleing ;)

Last edited:

tuozzi

Dec 9, 2011
Turku
Because a shutout against a relegated team that created basically nothing offensively is now a measuring stick...
Not really. It's not that he had done something special but rather that the other two had looked bad. But, obviously Lankinen delivered today and I'll have my crow medium rare please. :)

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Anti-hockey?

No other team in this tournament has played as entertaining games as Finland.
Well, that's a HUGE overstatement, they've done nothing but strangling skillful teams. Just enjoy your success and I really like the story, but come on now, don't get cocky. When your entire strategy revolves around strangling better teams, you can't exactly claim it's universally entertaining hockey with a straight face, can you?

I'm not complaining, it's absolutely fine, but don't go overboard here. Well, sure, it's "entertaining" and it is a close game like hell, but... in reality it's just a bunch of Finns skating around like crazed lemmings within certain patterns, that they would scream out if you woke them from a bad nightmare. The Finnish players collapse around their net faster in any situation than I would be able to pronounce "Kalsarikännit".

Don't claim that "no other team has played as entertaining hockey as Finland", because then you're just 100% dishonest, or crazy. Or a patriotic Finn.

Last edited:
Reactions: tuozzi

Porvari

Rekisteröitynyt käyttäjä
Feb 19, 2010
Bright young fellow. Interview in Swedish on Swedish state telly.

He'll have a good life, no matter what.

Just curious, did he say something bright or did he just give an interview in his first language?

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Ovechkin choked in this tournament again. What's that, 3 points in 9 games now? While playing next to super stars.
He is seriously trash in most of the international tournaments. At least he has clearly raised his game in the NHL playoffs in the last few years. But how he is still so absolute trash in international hockey, is something really strange.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
He is seriously trash in most of the international tournaments. At least he has clearly raised his game in the NHL playoffs in the last few years. But how he is still so absolute trash in international hockey, is something really strange.
He's getting old and worn, it's nothing unique really. He scored most of his goals from his elite teammates serving him on the PP, which he didn't get from this team, especially not with that Russian coach.

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
Well, that's a HUGE overstatement, they've done nothing but strangling skillful teams. Just enjoy your success and I really like the story, but come on now, don't get cocky. When your entire strategy revolves around strangling better teams, you can't exactly claim it's universally entertaining hockey with a straight face, can you?

I'm not complaining, it's absolutely fine, but don't go overboard here. Well, sure, it's "entertaining" and it is a close game like hell, but... in reality it's just a bunch of Finns skating around like crazed lemmings within certain patterns, that they would scream out if you woke them from a bad nightmare. The Finnish players collapse around their net faster in any situation than I would be able to pronounce "Kalsarikännit".

Don't claim that "no other team has played as entertaining hockey as Finland", because then you're just 100% dishonest, or crazy. Or a patriotic Finn.

Chimp, from now on concentrate on quality instead of quantity.
You have posted almost 14,000 times and you probably should cut down your posting by approx 90-95% (this is not only
about that last comment of yours, just an overall recommendation).

Last edited:
Reactions: Covay and Koijari

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
I had absolutely zero hopes for this team before the tournament and I was considering on skipping the whole thing all together, even though I've always made sure to tune in, year after year.

They've proved me wrong however. This team has reminded me how f***ing beautiful it is to watch Finland when it's playing like Leijonat, talvisodan hengessä, with sisu. A part of me was worried that this tradition and way of playing would be forsaken after all the talented players we've gotten in the last couple of years, but it seems that all is well in the kingdom :).

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
The game looked pretty damn entertaining to me; coast to coast with Finland being able to squeeze out a win with their D team against Russian all-stars.

Reactions: LAINEC

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
I just realized if Finland wins gold tomorrow Kakko isn't only Finn who's won three golds ( U18 WJC, U20 WJC and IIHF mens worlds) that other Finn will be Henri Jokiharju.

I Finland wins, NHL should give Kakko an exemption, so he could play for Boston/St.Louis in the SC finals and win four titles in the same season.

Reactions: jalperi

jalperi

Feb 17, 2016
:laugh: This cracked me up. Ketterä and Keupa will provide the core of the team. Suomisarja has some unknown talent waiting for their chance in the limelight also. Heck, I could get in too. 4th line center perhaps... :huh:
Well. Ketterät player Ville Paalanen has won three mestis champs on row on different teams. So why not worlds on Leijonat.

Reactions: Loffer

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
The game looked pretty damn entertaining to me; coast to coast with Finland being able to squeeze out a win with their D team against Russian all-stars.
Russian media and players just said that Finlands hockey is bad for the game.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
What people think we should've played with this team? We don't have big names, we don't have any stars on our team. This team is all about teamwork and the system how we play. It can look boring, but it is efficient against stronger and better teams. We have to rely on team, no name is bigger than the team. That is why we play in the final and Russia, USA, Czechs and Sweden do not. The amount of heart this team has shown is incredible.

All credit goes to Jukka Jalonen, without him this could've ended before the quarterfinals.

Edit: And also it has been entertaining as hell to watch this team play as a Finn. They never give up, never surrender. Game isn't over until it is. They work and work until they get what they were looking for.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad