GDT: Semifinal - May 25 - Russia vs Finland

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
Russia's favorite is clear! That's a somewhat boring observation. But the US has shown that the Red Machine is vulnerable. The Finns are capable of hurting the Russians.

Reactions: Husqvarna

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
On paper the difference is of course atrocious but Finland has a tendency to match well against Russia.
This. Many ppl care only to compare players to predict the result while too many factors involved in team sport. For me, hockey is a game of intimidation and motivation. One or couple incidents on the ice can change easily flow of the game. This is why you shouldn't bet your house even when favourite is so obvious.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Russia has been very convincing.

I don't think the Finns can manage to put in 200% effort against them, as they can against Sweden. A mere 150% effort won't win this.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Unfortunately for us Russia is taking this tournament seriously, icing lineup that’s overkill for the WHC from offensive standpoint and they’re on a roll.

On top of all that, they have one of the best goalies in the world.

I love good underdog picks but i’ll eat my hat if Russia doesn’t win this.

Reactions: Czechboy

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Malkin and Ovechkin are old dogs who are used to losing to Finland when it matters. Kuznetsov and Kucherov, I agree about what you said.

Malkin is arguably the best international player of his generation by the numbers, and is easily better than the entire Finnish roster.

Kucherov this season is currently the best scoring forward in hockey.

This will not be a close game.

Reactions: Zach_Birch

Tyttojenvessa

May 23, 2019
For the finns, this is maybe the best match up. There is a few slurs the finns have of the great russians, theire not so nice, but the finnish players knows them.

4-2 Finland
Russia with an early goal
Ovechkin with the game misconduct
Last goal is a empty net for finland

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Russia 4 and Finland 3 in OT.. I'm sorry but Finns battle like hell and don't quit.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Malkin and Ovechkin are old dogs who are used to losing to Finland when it matters. Kuznetsov and Kucherov, I agree about what you said.
LOL

You probably try to forget, but try facing reality instead:

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
We need to stay out of penalty box almost perfectly and some one to pull lacrosse goal.

Take few penaltes and its probably over. That roster is killing it. But play clean and yeah theres a actually a solid chance, if russia is as bad as a team as they were few days before the championships. Individuals are great of course, but as a team.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
So, the 128 pts guy who happens to be #2 in scoring this tourney doesn’t get you worried ?
Ok, I kinda forget Kucherov. Gusev, Kuznetsov and Kucherov are the most terrifying opponents on the Russian team.

Malkin is arguably the best international player of his generation by the numbers, and is easily better than the entire Finnish roster.

Kucherov this season is currently the best scoring forward in hockey.

This will not be a close game.
Yet Malkin has rarely showed up on best-on-best tournaments.
LOL

You probably try to forget, but try facing reality instead:

You gave me two examples when Ovechkin has played at WHC almost every year? Tell me when Russia has played their best in a best-on-best tournament and when Ovechkin has shown up? They lost in Sochi to us.

--

I don't expect us to win, just being a bit of a pain in the ass now.

Reactions: Koijari

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
Finland beat Sweden with sub-80% goaltending. Lankinen will have to improve to 95% or it will be ugly, or maybe Vehviläinen should play?

king89

Dec 4, 2018
Finland beat Sweden with sub-80% goaltending. Lankinen will have to improve to 95% or it will be ugly, or maybe Vehviläinen should play?
Lankinen needs to play like a god, thats our only chance.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
Usually I'm not worried about facing Russia no matter how strong their team is on paper, because no matter how many NHL stars they have they rarely play as a team & hence we always have a good chance to beat them. But this year their team game look stronger than I've seen in years.

Anyway, Lankinen has to play the game of his life.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Russia may be favourites but I would not count the Finns out. Never count the Finns out. In fact the biggest danger for Russia may be getting a few early goals and giving the Finns the chance to come back and take the momentum.

Reactions: teugen

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
We need to stay out of penalty box almost perfectly and some one to pull lacrosse goal.
Anttila will pull one off, but unfortunately it will be disallowed after a review, because of a high stick.

However, this does not faze the Mörkö, and he tries again. This time it's allowed, because he squatted first.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Ukkosenjumala

Nov 24, 2017
Finland
Surprised to see so many predicting a finnish victory. Beating sweden was an upset but they showed chinks in the armor but this is Russia who wiped the floor with Sweden. Not expecting much. Talent disparity just seems too much to offset.

Reactions: LAINEC

Finnswiss

Apr 28, 2013
Russia is the favourite, that's clear. They have this year such a strong team and won against Sweden 7-2. I don't know how Finland could surprise Russia this year it seems impossible but you never know may be a miracle happens.
I hope only the referees won't disadvantage Finland again like they did in 2014.

Reds4Life

Dec 24, 2007
Russia played like sh+t against the US. If they repeat that performance, Finland will kill them.

Go Suomi!

KimmoV

May 17, 2013
Germany
Anttila will pull one off, but unfortunately it will be disallowed after a review, because of a high stick.

However, this does not faze the Mörkö, and he tries again. This time it's allowed, because he squatted first.
well anything involving Anttila is by default high-stick....he is like 10ft tall and his hoip-level is already considered high-sticking :)

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010

I could imagine a postal stamp of Anttila gliding in deep squat and scoring lacrosse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad