GDT: Semifinal - May 19 - Canada vs Switzerland

Status
Not open for further replies.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
That Swiss team didn't have Josi, Meier, Fiala, Andrighetto, Niederreiter, Mueller and Kukan. Don't think they had Noah Rod either. These aren't exactly plugs. And neither team has had Hischier on it for some reason. This Swiss team is still missing a handful of NHLers like Baertschi, Sbisa Weber & Malgin.

Only McDavid and Vlasic would be on a true best-of Canadian team. But the rest of this team is still significantly stronger than the one at the 2018 Olympics. They're underperforming based on the roster. Other than the Swedish D which is almost their A level, this Canadian roster is on paper one of the best teams in this year's tournament

On paper as a matter of pedigree, maybe, but the holes are obvious and pretty debilitating. Honestly, considering the complete lack of puck moving defensemen and the goaltending in general, it's surprising Canada even made it this far. Hockey is a difficult sport when your D can't make a pass and your goalie can't make a save.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
Thats a little harsh.
I applaud the Canadian team, and full props to Swiss .
no shame in losing, as the Swiss earned their win.
to ridicule the Canadian team like that downplays the effort of the Swiss team.
He's just being honest. This team Canada is a joke and they're very lucky to even place 4th.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Agree with you ... most were routine shots or pucks bouncing in front of the goalie in a very crowded area.
At the end, Canada lost because they didn't create enough real scoring chances. We saw little from McDavid or Barzal !!
And the 3 goals ... Kuemper didn't play that badly !! IMO none of the 3 goals were soft goals. He could have made extra-saves ... and make the difference ... he didn't OK with that. But Canada didn't loose because of him.

puck possession, yes. shots, yes; real dangerous scoring chances NO. or too little.

And Switzerland played and had good scoring chances in the 1st and 2nd, and in the 3rd (all to my dissatisfaction yet still successfuly), they turteled.

Exactly.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
In no world is speed rewarded when it has to travel a longer distance. Obviously that's going to be worse the slower you are, but the point is that everybody/everything gets slower, and that makes the game boring. I guess in a sense big ice doesn't reward speed, but rather punishes sloth.

Put any of these D on an NHL rink with McDavid and he skates around them clean at least once per shift. Hell, I've seen him do it to Josi multiple times.

Depends on how you look at, Usain bolt would win by a larger margin of seconds in a 200m race compared to a 100m race against the same guy.

Once Mcdavid burns a defenseman on a bigger rink he'll gain a larger seperation on the larger ice surface.

A fast d-man can gamble more on a bigger ice because he gets more time to get into position and thus gets a advantage.

But I get your argument, it's easier to defend against Mcdavid on a bigger ice because you get more time to react to him skating up the ice.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
What's "respectable" about it? It's at best benign racism, one with an inherent potential to devolve into actual racism. It's a textbook logical fallacy that unfortunately still goes over most people's head. Apparently it also serves to blind people from something as mundane as noticing even strength scoring opportunities in a hockey game. If you need to get your pride vicariously from something that you had literally no involvement in, then be my guest, I guess. Whatever makes you happy. But I digress.

I've only watched a couple of games from this tournament, but I think it's pretty safe to say that if Switzerland dominated scoring chances through 2 periods they'd have won by more than a goal, considering there are probably people here who could score on Kuemper. As it stands I don't think Switzerland generated sweet **** all at even strength after the first period. 2 PP goals and a goalie standing on his head were the difference.

Ah, found the token SJW troll that sees racism in everything. Not happy with that, he even says that one has to have direct involvement in something in order to be allowed by Mr SJW (because someone must've put him in charge) to feel any pride about that (!!!). I find it rather arrogant for you to try to make fun of that. I also feel pity for you, if you can't find any joy and pride in seeing your nation do well in a sport competition.

So, X chances must always = Y goals. Like there's a set mathematical equation. "Great" theory, congratulations.
Like your other whacky theory where you said that the number of shots shows who played better. Switzerland got 17 shots, Canada 45 = Canada much, much superior to Switzerland. So, by this token Sweden got 20 shots, USA 41 = USA much, much superior to Sweden? Maybe hockey is not your thing, me thinks.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Depends on how you look at, Usain bolt would win by a larger margin of seconds in a 200m race compared to a 100m race against the same guy.

Once Mcdavid burns a defenseman on a bigger rink he'll gain a larger seperation on the larger ice surface.

A fast d-man can gamble more on a bigger ice because he gets more time to get into position and thus gets a advantage.

But I get your argument, it's easier to defend against Mcdavid on a bigger ice because you get more time to react to him skating up the ice.

Yea, I mean, a clean break is a clean break, even if it would all still take a longer time to happen by virtue of having a longer distance to travel from point A to point B.

But as soon as there's somebody in position between you and point B, the extra distance you have to travel just makes it more difficult to get around them. At that point speed is less effective than it otherwise would be on a smaller surface.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
Very weird postgame talk. Switzerland was better. They deserved themselves already against Finland. Some canadians showing very bad sportmanship, like every friggin time Canada doesn't win. Shame on you, shame! Shame! Shame! Shame! Shame!

Sorry, but I am not surprised in the least that Canada lost to the Swiss today, in fact I was surprised they even beat Russia. Like I've said several times during the qualifiers, this team is a joke, they are not medal material. Watching this team from the beginning it was evident to us. I've seen many championship team Canadas' and many championship teams and this team was never close. It did not perform to the high level us Canadians expect out of our national teams.

If it bothers you to know that we are not satisfied with our team and you feel that it being a joke of a team somehow takes away from the Swiss's win today, that's on you. But I'm willing to bet you've been watching hockey long enough to know this team was garbage by Canada's standards. Passing it off as bad sportsmanship is inaccurate especially when we've been calling this team out since early on.

Last edited:

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
So a 105m sprint is better for a slower skater, than a 100m sprint? Is that a basic math conclusion? Ok. You just brought up basic math. Thank you for your wisdom. So a slower defenseman would logically rather cover 120m of ice, than 80m of ice playing against McDavid? Not only that, he would rather give McDavid extra space in the corners, because that benefits the poor skating defenseman! How couldn't I see this before?! You should send a memo to someone important, this is revolutional!

And I who thought all this time a smaller rink gives a greater benefit to slower, more physical players. It has always been the opposite! The earth isn't round, it's flat!

For some, this is hard to understand, somehow.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Great for Swiss hockey as they inch closer and closer to countries lie Sweden and Finland for quality of play and players, we Also have countries like Denmark and Latvia moving up in quality of play as well. Good for the NHL and hockey overall.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
For some, this is hard to understand, somehow.

No, not at all. A smaller rink necessarily provides some benefits to slower players in much the same way that a larger rink handicaps faster ones. Like I said, big ice does more to punish slow players than reward fast ones.

I'm not sure why explaining the opposite side of the same coin is being considered validating in any way, but at this point I'm no longer surprised.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
I don't know why people are talking about ice sizes. One team sucked and the other didn't.

The end.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
WOW. I was at the game where guys like Raymond,Roy,Bourque and Scrivens trounced this same team (minus Hischier) 5-1.
and a mcdavid led team can't get it done?
Saying that this was the "same team" shows that you don't know what you are talking about.

Reactions: Pouliot

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Great for Swiss hockey as they inch closer and closer to countries lie Sweden and Finland for quality of play and players, we Also have countries like Denmark and Latvia moving up in quality of play as well. Good for the NHL and hockey overall.

Exactly. Who cares if Canada didn't win this year. I'd rather have smaller hockey countries stepping up and making the playing field more level. Canada is in the conversation to win every year, we are consistently a top 4 country when it comes to these tournaments. Why anybody would be salty is beyond me.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
switzerland got outshot 45-17 and were utterly dominated.
they won, but that doesnt mean they were better.

also take it down a notch dude. inferiority complex coming out strong

Yeah, probably 80-90% of those 45 shots were perimeter shots and only a tiny handful of second/third chances. Switzerland had much better chances. Switzerland wasn't "dominated", come on. They were the better team through two periods and then had the less-than-ideal... idea to just defend once they scored the 3-1 and that tilted the ice for the last 15 minutes of the game and almost brought the game to OT.

Where are all the classy Canada fans from just after the game that were posting congratulations to Switzerland on a well deserved victory? Now we're getting the influx of all the homers.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Yeah, probably 80-90% of those 45 shots were perimeter shots and only a tiny handful of second/third chances. Switzerland had much better chances. Switzerland wasn't "dominated", come on. They were the better team through two periods and then had the less-than-ideal... idea to just defend once they scored the 3-1 and that tilted the ice for the last 15 minutes of the game and almost brought the game to OT.

Where are all the classy Canada fans from just after the game that were posting congratulations to Switzerland on a well deserved victory? Now we're getting the influx of all the homers.

We are licking our wounds after a real tough loss. On one hand we just want to forget the debacle that was this version of Team Canada and on the other hand we are thinking......"what the hell went wrong with this team? the talent was there, the execution from first game to last wasn't"

many,many questions......................and we don't know if there are any answers, all we know is that we have to find some for next year.

Having said all that, if any Team Canada fan here is saying the Swiss didn't outplay us they are out of their f***in mind and don't know hockey from a surfing competition in wakiki.

We lost fair and square, period.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
We are licking our wounds after a real tough loss. On one hand we just want to forget the debacle that was this version of Team Canada and on the other hand we are thinking......"what the hell went wrong with this team? the talent was there, the execution from first game to last wasn't"

many,many questions......................and we don't know if there are any answers, all we know is that we have to find some for next year.

Having said all that, if any Team Canada fan here is saying the Swiss didn't outplay us they are out of their ****in mind and don't know hockey from a surfing competition in wakiki.

We lost fair and square, period.

You guys won so much and will win so much in the future. Of this, I am sure. The future is bright for Canada.

This year, I don't know what went wrong for you guys. On paper, you should have had this. But this type of tournament, with direct elimination at this stage, is pretty brutal. One off game and it's all she wrote.

I think that what McDavid said is a good synopsis: they came out flat and maybe underestimated Switzerland. As the game went on, they discovered that maybe wasn't going to be a walk in the park and just couldn't turn it around.
The two biggest momentum changer were the two PP goals: the first came right after Canada had tied it and killed any momentum generated by the Horvat goal... the 3-1 at 15 minutes from the end was the torpedo that sunk the ship. Switzerland though almost sabotaged themselves by getting more defensive, thinking that a two goals lead was enough and that almost sunk OUR ship.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Shocking loss. US loss is as well, given the score.

Two underachieving teams face off for the bronze.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
As a canadian i want to congratulate switzerland on their win, here in canada we need to realize that we have a hard time with the Swiss, in vancouver in 2010 we needed a shootout to beat them and that was best on best, in Torino in 2006 again best on best they beat us 2-0, last year championship in germany they beat us again in overtime. yes switzerland is now a top hockey nation, they can beat any country on any given day. they are very fast, talented players and their goaltending is always top notch. the swiss are for real. thers no denying it.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
You guys won so much and will win so much in the future. Of this, I am sure. The future is bright for Canada.

This year, I don't know what went wrong for you guys. On paper, you should have had this. But this type of tournament, with direct elimination at this stage, is pretty brutal. One off game and it's all she wrote.

I think that what McDavid said is a good synopsis: they came out flat and maybe underestimated Switzerland. As the game went on, they discovered that maybe wasn't going to be a walk in the park and just couldn't turn it around.
The two biggest momentum changer were the two PP goals: the first came right after Canada had tied it and killed any momentum generated by the Horvat goal... the 3-1 at 15 minutes from the end was the torpedo that sunk the ship. Switzerland though almost sabotaged themselves by getting more defensive, thinking that a two goals lead was enough and that almost sunk OUR ship.
I don't know what went wrong either but i don't think it was a case of underestimating Switzerland because how they played today was basically how they played against most teams this tournament and certainly how they played against all the big teams, they didn't move their feet and compete with any urgency until they were down in games. The offense itself never got going beyond mcdavid and I am not sure we will ever have an answer for that..................the lines didn't mesh and they cycled like it was the first time they were doing it in their life, it was baffling.

The defense? again, no real compete level for the puck and along the board in one on one battles until they were in dire straights on the scoreboard.

This had to be the most frustrating Team Canada I can ever recall relative to the talent level on this team. was it the coaching? was it just a bad set of games for a bunch of guys all at the same time? i dunno, but they just could not seem to get their head into any meaningful game until they were behind and in real trouble.................and with how good the swiss played today it finally sunk them.

Full credit to you guys........................you came to play for 60 full minutes, our guys didn't, and never did all tournament.

Why I will never know, the talent was there to win gold, they just would not or could not bring it, like I said, I'm baffled by this teams performance this year.

But regardless of what went wrong with our team and how we played it takes nothing away from what the swiss accomplished today, they deserved to win by their play itself, and they did. They are more then worthy of moving on.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
you came to play for 60 full minutes

Thanks for the laugh.

And the problems with Canada this year are obvious: defense can't move the puck, goalies can't stop a puck. This was evident both on paper from the beginning and in practice, at least as far as I could tell from the couple of games I watched. No amount of effort is gonna get this defensive group to make a decent outlet pass, and that handicaps the forwards.

This team was a clone of the 17-18 Oilers.

Last edited:

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
I don't know what went wrong either but i don't think it was a case of underestimating Switzerland because how they played today was basically how they played against most teams this tournament and certainly how they played against all the big teams, they didn't move their feet and compete with any urgency until they were down in games. The offense itself never got going beyond mcdavid and I am not sure we will ever have an answer for that..................the lines didn't mesh and they cycled like it was the first time they were doing it in their life, it was baffling.

The defense? again, no real compete level for the puck and along the board in one on one battles until they were in dire straights on the scoreboard.

This had to be the most frustrating Team Canada I can ever recall relative to the talent level on this team. was it the coaching? was it just a bad set of games for a bunch of guys all at the same time? i dunno, but they just could not seem to get their head into any meaningful game until they were behind and in real trouble.................and with how good the swiss played today it finally sunk them.

Full credit to you guys........................you came to play for 60 full minutes, our guys didn't, and never did all tournament.

Why I will never know, the talent was there to win gold, they just would not or could not bring it, like I said, I'm baffled by this teams performance this year.

It's what McDavid said - that they came out flat and might have underestimated Switzerland - on the interview that it's on TSN.

Though you are right: Switzerland played exactly the same as they played vs all other teams (minus Sweden. For some reason they seemed very tentative against them. Doesn't bode well for tomorrow... Ugh). So Canada should have known what to expect.

The motivation was there (= playing for gold). I don't know why Canada couldn't elevate their game. Part of it was Switzerland's play, but a good chunk was on themselves too.
In this game, I was impressed only with McDavid and Barzal, to be honest. Dare I say, more with Barzal. Also ROR played a decent game. The others... Not so good.

Thank you for your kind words. In Switzerland there's 8.5 million of happy folks for the national team's performance. We all hope they have the energy and mental fortitude to complete this amazing performance. Sweden is our Kryptonite, they beat us 5-3 in the group stage and they are 9-0 in this tournament: all odds are against us. Come on Switzerland, do it just one more time.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
What do you mean?
He's trolling. He admitted earlier on that he couldn't care less about the WC and yet he is here polluting the thread.

PS: he also said that the number of shots in a game determines what team played better. And that if Switzerland had good scoring chances, they should have won by more than a one goal difference.

Reactions: jj cale
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino