GDT: Semifinal - May 19 - Canada vs Switzerland

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
No one player can do it all, doesn't matter how good he is. At some point the other players on the team need to be held accountable, they are all parts of the whole it's a team game. If McDavid had only a few points all tournament, I could see calling him out but yeah this isn't on him. I mean sure, he could have scored 30 points or 40 and put up 5 points a game and won every game for the team single handed but that's just not realistic.

The team was a dud, he wasn't.
No one is saying one player can do it all thats ridiculous. He is the captain, he is the leader. He is responsible for the leadership and if the team doesn't play well that is on him.

Reactions: sipowicz

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
No one is saying one player can do it all thats ridiculous. He is the captain, he is the leader. He is responsible for the leadership and if the team doesn't play well that is on him.
If the team is bad and can't follow the great examples he set for them all tournament, that's on them.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Crosby used to face this criticism until he silenced such asinine claims with a numerous big-game performances and trophies. He's now regarded as one of the greatest clutch players and captains of all time.

McDavid is 21 years old for christ's sake and carried this team throughout the whole tourney. The man has more than twice as many points as anyone else on the team and you actually have the audacity to criticise him.
Doesn't matter. Win, thats what matters. The only thing that matters is how you played your last game. Every great player will be criticized until they win. That is the way it works.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Why do you insist on trolling? Your point is moot, this wasn't a leadership problem, you seem to have trouble grasping that concept.
You say, the team didnt follow him thats his fault. That is what you think leadership is. No leadership is standing up in the locker room and telling the guys we are going to win and then going out and scoring the game winning goal.

If you feel trolled well, I am sorry you feel in such a way.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
As a Finnish hockey fan I have a different recollection... I remember the (game winning) goal that McDavid scored against us in 2016 quite well.

Scoring the game winning goal is not winning the tournament for Canada. He wasn't even an assistant captain. Its a different situation when you are the captain and you are out there to lead team Canada and expected to win the gold and you have 1 assist in the last 2 minutes of the game and you lose.

Reactions: Ippenator

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
No one player can do it all, doesn't matter how good he is. At some point the other players on the team need to be held accountable, they are all parts of the whole.. it's a team game. If McDavid had only a few points all tournament, I could see calling him out but yeah this isn't on him. I mean sure, he could have scored 30 points or 40 and put up 5 points a game and won every game for the team single handed but that's just not realistic.

The team was a dud, he wasn't.

The team didn't win. He is the best player, the Captain and the leader of that team.

You think soldiers get blamed for losses in battle? No, Generals do. Same thing applies.

What's the saying, something about the nail sticking out the furthest gets pounded? That.

We are constantly being told how McDavid is the best player in the world, AINEC! So we should expect in a game of this magnitude, playing for a chance at the gold.....he'd do better than a single assist. He didn't, so criticism follows.

I'm sure he feels the same way......don't you?

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Sorry, I am missunderstanding what a captain is I guess. Perhaps because I grew up watching great hockey captains step up and win games and great hockey captains step up and say we lost and that is on me. Its 2018, it is no longer the captain's responsibility and if the players don't follow the captain then its not the captain's fault its the players fault.

Got it!

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
You guys are right, he should have scored 4 goals because since the team clearly can't follow his leadership, it's on him to win them all the games.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
The team didn't win. He is the best player, the Captain and the leader of that team.

You think soldiers get blamed for losses in battle? No, Generals do. Same thing applies.

What's the saying, something about the nail sticking out the furthest gets pounded? That.

We are constantly being told how McDavid is the best player in the world, AINEC! So we should expect in a game of this magnitude, playing for a chance at the gold.....he'd do better than a single assist. He didn't, so criticism follows.

Yes that is the way it is but you are upsetting the McDavid fan club.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
You guys are right, he should have scored 4 goals because since the team clearly can't follow his leadership, it's on him to win them all the games.
He doesn't need to score any goals. His team needs to win. Why is that so hard for you to understand?
You are a McDavid fan, so I get you feel the need to defend him but sorry I grew up watching guys like Mark Messier and the hell they would say the guys never followed me its on them. Maybe we are different generations I don't know.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
He doesn't need to score any goals. His team needs to win. Why is that so hard for you to understand?
You are a McDavid fan, so I get you feel the need to defend him but sorry I grew up watching guys like Mark Messier and the hell they would say the guys never followed me its on them. Maybe we are different generations I don't know.

Mark Messier was a horrible leader, because his teams lost more than they won. He didn't win every game or championship. His fault, horrible leader.

So McDavid just needs to learn from Tony Robbins, and then instead of leading by example (because apparently that is not leadership), he can give a pep talk and just stay in the dressing room while the team wins thanks to those magic words.

Last edited:

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Mark Messier was a horrible leader, because his teams lost more than they won. He didn't win every game or championship. His fault, horrible leader.
What are you even talking about? Wow, Gretzky was traded and the Oilers still won the Stanley Cup. He also ended the drought in NYR and won a cup there. Ok, I am done with you. If you don't know what leadership is I am not going to be the one that teaches you.

You clearly aren't even reading posts you are just raging. I also said when the team loses leaders also stand up and say its my fault. For some reason you equate leadership=must win every game.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
What are you even talking about? Wow, Gretzky was traded and the Oilers still won the Stanley Cup. Ok, I am done with you. If you don't know what leadership is I am not going to be the one that teaches you.
The Oilers were still stacked without Gretzky. lol

Can't handle getting a taste of your own logic. Cool.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017

This is why we missed toews so much. He should have come to the tournament, even if he didn't play a shift. He still could have done something from the bench or dressing room. A speech or two to rally the troops...etc

McDavid shouldn't be paid more than him. Travesty of a tournament. Made captain too early, he doesn't have the intangibles.

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018

Ever heard of the saying "You can't win them all"

Even Messier who the troller above HeartforReinhart mistakenly uses as his example to criticise McDavid lost loads of big games.

Sure McDavid could have done better against the Swiss but to place all the blame on his shoulders is asinine. The real blame lies with the awful goaltending and numerous top players that couldn't be arsed heading over to the World's.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Since when have Schenn, Bailey and Schwartz especially ever been considered A level players? doesn't seem like Eberle, Parayko and Ekblad have reached official A level tier either as they've never represented Canada at a best vs best, maybe in time, but not as of this moment.

I mean lets be for real here, a team with a goaltending duo of Kuemper and McElhinney can simply never be considered Canada's A team. Don't try to argue otherwise.

A rule of thumb, if a Canadian team doesn't have the likes of Crosby, Tavares, Toews, Stamkos, Hall, Benn, Seguin, Doughty, Burns, Pietrangelo, Price, Holtby etc than its not an A team.

Naming a few select A level tier players that were on the team (McDavid, Vlasic, O'Rielly) doesn't automatically transform this C level team into an A one. That's not how it works.
But missing those players doesn't also make it automatically a C or D team. More like a a B team. Which is what in fact most of the other countries had pretty much in this tournament anyway. Well ok, Switzerland at least is close to their A team, but even despite that I find these kinds of talks really more like sad loser talk. You have what you have in these tournaments. And not a single team in this tournament has the best possible team they could have optimally had.

Canada is great and the favorite when it has all of it’s best players, but even then it’s not a lock to win always. Any of the top 6 countries can still realistically beat them in a best against best tournament, and I have a feeling that in the future we might have to talk about a competitive top 9 or 10 even. This would include first of all Switzerland, but also if things go well in the future, Slovakia, Germany and Denmark too.

Last edited:

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Come on guys. I know as a Yote fan I shouldn't be saying this, but when Canada shows up in a tournament with the Arizona Coyote backup-goalie as their starting goalie, you have to admit it...

Something is Wrong ™.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Come on guys. I know as a Yote fan I shouldn't be saying this, but when Canada shows up in a tournament with the Arizona Coyote backup-goalie as their starting goalie, you have to admit it...

Something is Wrong ™.

Switzerland won with their 2nd goalie who is not an NHL player and never has been.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden

Something is Wrong ™.

Well Sweden shows up with Vancouver's backup as the starting goalie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->