GDT: Semifinal - May 19 - Canada vs Switzerland

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
For Canada, this is like having a bye into the Gold Medal game. Cinderella Switzerland is about to have her bubble burst. We have seen this so many times before - a team carries out a highly improbable upset by playing way beyond the limits their talent and depth impose on them, with massive amounts of adrenaline flooding the arena, only to come out the next game and fall behind 6-0 at the end of the 1st period. They realize that their moment of greatness is over, and that it is time to go back to reality. It is a huge break for Canada to have an easy path to the Gold Medal game - almost as huge a break as that tiny little penalty call in overtime against Russia!

This Swiss team is the best team I have seen fielded by Switzerland ever at the World Hockey Championships....

This Canadian team has a lot to prove to me... outside of the last game the Canucks were lacksuster at best... Kuemper played well in goal last game, but this is our Achilles heal for sure...

I'm not sure there is a gift here for Canada...

By the way, I love your Nome du plume... I watched the 72' series as a very young kid and remember the "Big Yak" very well... hell of a player...

de51f1_af83c291ce4d4b98b17cd2feb42adb3d.jpg_srz_498_398_75_22_0.5_1.2_75_png_srz

:thumbu:

Reactions: Howe Elbows 9

duul

Jun 21, 2010
The lines have nothing going 5v5. I think it's time to get Brayden Schenn down this lineup.

RNH-McDavid-Turris
Schwartz-O'Reilly-Pageau
Schenn-Dubois-Horvat
Jost-Barzal-Eberle
Bailey

That 4th line barely plays anyway. Turris has an incredible shot and would compliment McDavid + RNH well. Our middle 6 lines are just grindy and fast. They will do well.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
I believe that we have our chance. Canada remains favourite though. Obviously.

But we have among the best teams we ever iced. So if Canada takes us lightly or we pull out a super game ... everything is possible.
We would just need that Conor McCanada remains quite ! ;-)

Hop Schwiz.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
Hmm they won the last 2 games vs canada (championship) as far as i know.
They've won 2 of the last 3 and 3 of the last 6. Definitely a dangerous team for Canada.

People shouldn't be shocked if the Swiss beat Canada tomorrow. This team Canada is trash, lucky to be 4th tbh. Goal tending is horrendous defense is spotty, only one line seems to be playing relatively consistently now. This team does not inspire any confidence and I am not expecting anything out of them at this point.

As far as I'm concerned, they've already over achieved by placing 4th.

Last edited:

holyprime

Oct 5, 2010
If "we" win this, it will be the swiss hockey's declaration of independence from Canada.

It's not just about beating them in an elimination game en route to the finals. Its about doing that with a coach that isn't canadian but swiss, with bonus points for him being "developed" locally through the NLA/Juniors. Fun Fact: This independence will mostly be celebrated by eating crow (including myself), as you could count the people that had faith in Fischer prior to the QF with maybe one but certainly two hands.

They have to win 4-2 first, of course :naughty:

maximafinogenov7

May 10, 2018
Everybody is talking about Canadien goalie, but you have seen a switzerland goalies? I could tell you that there is no glory too.

Reactions: torero

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
Everybody is talking about Canadien goalie, but you have seen a switzerland goalies? I could tell you that there is no glory too.

Well, it's not the quality, we once had with Gerber/Hiller, or that Latvia offers with Merzlikins (the best GK outside the NHL:D)

But, unlike CAN, we haven't lost any match cause of them as well this year. Genoni was very good versus FIN. And Berra on a good night can steal a win on any level...

That said, I expect (and hope for) a close game.

My tipp:

Canada vs. lucky Cinderellians 25: -4 :thumbu:

Last edited:
Reactions: maximafinogenov7

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Canada is used to putting up great performances when things matter most: that's why they're the best hockey nation in the world. So, I really don't think that Canada will be denied the finals. My heart is for Switzerland, but my money says Canada.

Reactions: snipes and jj cale

SwissLeaf

Feb 6, 2012
Fora will shut down McDavid! :D

Seriously I think that it will be a close game with the better end for Canada... 4-2 with an empty net goal.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I can watch this one if I find a restaurant that has it on. I think Canada wins 4-3. A Swiss win would not surprise me at all.

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
I hope the Swiss win it. Winning this would mean much more to them than Canada. Swiss have one of the top teams this year, but I wish we were playing today. Im just glad we got rid of Marjamäki.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Canada is used to putting up great performances when things matter most: that's why they're the best hockey nation in the world. So, I really don't think that Canada will be denied the finals. My heart is for Switzerland, but my money says Canada.

1st time i see something like that. Generaly the money is on our side :laugh:

i go with my heart !!
my head tells me that we can make it.
And i don't melange money and sport ... !

Go Switzerland Goooooool

Reactions: BruinLVGA

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Doesnt Canada struggle pretty often agaimst the Swiss? Anyway, I hope for Canada in the finals, more fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad