GDT: Semifinal • May 13 • Finland 3, Russia 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Sounds like an americanized swede, wheres omark?

Well ;-)

I love Canadian hockey and they type of hockey being played in the NHL, I can't help it.

I have huge difficulties watching SEL except from the playoffs.

Omark was a dissapointment this season, hope he will play better next season.

I predict that Edmonton Oilers will win the Stanley Cup in 2-4 years of time though.

Mara

May 10, 2011
The fans or the players? What did they say?

Some of the players said that it was only luck, and that they were gonna beat Finland for sure. Russian media started to look towards the final already, or so I hear. :D

AlexandreBurrows

Mar 17, 2009
Vancouver
Well ;-)

I love Canadian hockey and they type of hockey being played in the NHL, I can't help it.

I have huge difficulties watching SEL except from the playoffs.

Omark was a dissapointment this season, hope he will play better next season.

I predict that Edmonton Oilers will win the Stanley Cup in 2-4 years of time though.

i could definately see it but maybe in 4 years because the youngins gotta mature. that seems to be the formula these days, draft high, cup in the next 5. Pittsburgh, Tampa, Carolina, Chicago. thats 4 of the last 6, hopefully tamps doesnt win this year so we dont have another.

VladNYC*

Some of the players said that it was only luck, and that they were gonna beat Finland for sure. Russian media started to look towards the final already, or so I hear. :D

You read this where?

VladNYC*

Congrats Finland! The better team won. I hope you get that monkey off your back and beat Sweden. It seems our guys only play in the games they care about aka against Canada.

As for Bykov...I hope he is gone, but I have no idea who would replace him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kiefer

Jun 28, 2004
Sweden
I'm amazed. Great game by Finland and it brought us another classic final. It feels good to be rivals but also friends. If I can watch the gold game without a beer I certainly must be asleep.

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg
Impressive effort by Finland. It really turned out that it was their game to lose, they where clearly deserving of this.

Now i look forward to another classic Nordic battle on sunday. I really hope we get our ninth WHC-gold, and that Finland extend their silver streak. ;)

In all seriousness, any team winning on sunday could i be happy for. Sweden the most though. :)

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
As for Bykov...I hope he is gone, but I have no idea who would replace him.

Russia has to be careful who they choose. I don't think anyone wants to see that undiscplined Russia that almost never play as a team, before Bykov it was pretty much like that, although this tournament Russia kinda played like that again. There's another concern if the Russian superstars dislike the new coach they won't be coming for WC anymore. I kind of even think they will make a new contract with Bykov and wouldn't see it as a bad move.

Namba 17

May 9, 2011
Congratulations team Finland. You had very good game and were better team. I wish you luck in the gold medal game.

heksagon

Jul 27, 2010
Finland
Congratulations team Finland. You had very good game and were better team. I wish you luck in the gold medal game.

:) I really respect Russian hockey, the players and the fans. Hopefully you'll do better next year.
Oh, and hopefully NHL lets their players to play in Sochi, it will be a kick-ass tournament!

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Great game by Finland for sure, a small country that acknowledge that they need to do everything better then everyone else to have a chance, and dig down and often delivers.

On Granlund's goal, for once you can use all the clichés and they are true. Maybe the best goal ever in the WCH's, a goal that easily can "make a career" et c.

Sweden often beats Finland in finals because Sweden often have a alot better team then Finland. 98' and 06' are as good examples as any. Nobody can argue that Sweden have a better roster this season.

Sweden is a team full of nobody's, but in 5-10 years I am sure many will look back at this roster with a lot more respect then today.

Just look at the forwards:
Loui Eriksson is a steady top 10-15 scorer in the NHL.
Patrik Berglund will become a star in the NHL. A strong 1st line center.
Magnus Pääjäärvi is often trashed in EDM, but the kid is put in a horrible environment and will definitely have a strong NHL career. If he will become like the next Martin Rucinsky or the next Zetterberg remains to be seen, but when everything is said and done he will have a nice NHL career.
Mattias Tedenby will have a nice career too. I never think his flash will equal his production, but at the same time he have a helluva amount of flash lol. So no MSL, but good 2nd line play and 60 pts maybe.
Silvferberg, Kreuger and Backlund will also be good NHLers.

So that's pretty good for a WCH's team.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Sweden often beats Finland in finals because Sweden often have a alot better team then Finland. 98' and 06' are as good examples as any.

If I remember correctly..
World Championships 1998 were basically a joke, the first best on best Olympics had just been played, many players refused, many players were still playing in the playoffs.

Without a single NHL player Finland got to the final, for which Sami Kapanen arrived as our only NHL player.
Sweden, having been humbled in Nagano however had almost every single one of their NHL players all tournament.
Sweden won game one 1-0, game two was tied 0-0 with Finland having a disallowed goal (damn you Alex Dell).

In Nagano, best on best, Finland beat Sweden 2-1 and Selänne and Koivu won the points race.

In Turin 2006, Sweden lost on purpose to get Switzerland and the easier route to the final - swiss and czechs while Finland won every single game and beat the USA and then Russia on the way to the final. Selänne and Koivu won the points race.

Being world champion in 1998 was a meaningless win in a meaningless tournament. Any day I'd rather take the bronze against Gretzky, Lindros and friends.

Kennholt

Mar 6, 2011
Stockholm
World Championships 1998 were basically a joke, the first best on best Olympics had just been played, many players refused, many players were still playing in the playoffs.

Without a single NHL player Finland got to the final, for which Sami Kapanen arrived as our only NHL player.
Sweden, having been humbled in Nagano however had almost every single one of their NHL players all tournament.
Sweden won game one 1-0, game two was tied 0-0 with Finland having a disallowed goal (damn you Alex Dell).

In Nagano, best on best, Finland beat Sweden 2-1 and Selänne and Koivu won the points race.

In Turin 2006, Sweden lost on purpose to get Switzerland and the easier route to the final - swiss and czechs while Finland won every single game and beat the USA and then Russia on the way to the final. Selänne and Koivu won the points race.

Being world champion in 1998 was a meaningless win in a meaningless tournament. Any day I'd rather take the bronze against Gretzky, Lindros and friends.

You're not by any chance a Hammarby supporter, are you?

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
You're not by any chance a Hammarby supporter, are you?

Deep inside we all wish we were Hammarby fans. The most fun, friendly and relaxed fans in Sweden. We all know it's true but sometimes a bit painful to admit? ;-)

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg

I smell sour grapes...

Winning is all that matters in sports, and the sooner you realize that, maybe Finland actually could win eventually. Sweden wasn't exactly dominated at Nagano either, so it's barely a scalp at all. Finland is known to be a choker at epic proportions - just take the embarrasing performance against the US last year. The irony is, i actually remember that some finns said back then: medal is all that matters.

One could argue that the 1995 performance was meaningless aswell, since most NHL players took the time off during the lockout.

And regarding the "throw game". Anyone actually watching that game know that the Slovaks dominated us quite fairly. Sweden hit the post three times during that game, a fact that is hard to "simulate". Another fact is that the Slovaks won the group and was, going in to the quarterfinals, probably the front runner to win it all. But i guess it's easier finding excuses then to admit that the team of preference, always folds in games that matters.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
I am not throwing away anything from Finland, but Russia played the whole tournament very, very badly. Russia lost this tournament before its start. Bykov arrived like 2 days before the start, it was ridicolous.
Russia should look what Finland did: take a very good young player (Granlund) and give him top six minutes. Granlund is a great player, but I do not think that Tarasenko is worse than him. Why we didn't do the same? Why Pajarvi (sp) plays first line within the Swedish NT and our guys are in vacations for 4 months already? What's sad is that this is never gonna change.
Bykov must go. He did a lot for our national team, he gave us two golds, especially the one in Quebec was great, but now it's time to change. Kudos to him, but it's time to get something new.
Who can replace him? I think Bragin deserves a chance, it would be cool to have Bilyaletdinov, but it's not realistic. Regarding foreign coaches, I am not a fan of Riha, nor of Heikkila.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Granlund is a great player, but I do not think that Tarasenko is worse than him.

Granlund is more proven. Tarasenko might have same skillset but Granlund has ability to control game and do whatever he wants. He made russian NHL defenders look like juniors like 5 times. Granlund is aswell mentally very strong. It's very hard to find a player which has nerves like his i think that is the big difference which seperate these 2 players. Granlund lifted his FEL team to the champion which is an big playof choker as a 19 years old. Granlund have been best player of team finland so far. I would take granlund everytime if i had to choose from these 2. No question. Tarasenko is great leader and awesome prospect but Granlund is ahead him in every aspect of this game. Never seen player who is as smart as Granlund not even Datsyuk...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad