Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
4H0Q2842.jpg

Tissotti

Apr 30, 2011
Helsinki
Granlund is an awesome player but the hype over here is going a bit overboard. He's still a prospect, at least from the NHL's point of view and he has yet to prove himself in the highest level of competition.

Fortunately, I think Granlund is more mature than the majority of those who are hyping him here. He won't get ahead of himself.

Indeed.
Some people are again going way overboard here.
Amazing goal, been a key player for Finland so far, great season in FEL but there's no reason to start hyping him like this in a bigger picture. Lets see him play one season in NHL and lets talk again. Not saying any of you are wrong but just chill.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Granlund is more proven. Tarasenko might have same skillset but Granlund has ability to control game and do whatever he wants. He made russian NHL defenders look like juniors like 5 times. Granlund is aswell mentally very strong. It's very hard to find a player which has nerves like his i think that is the big difference which seperate these 2 players. Granlund lifted his FEL team to the champion which is an big playof choker as a 19 years old. Granlund have been best player of team finland so far. I would take granlund everytime if i had to choose from these 2. No question. Tarasenko is great leader and awesome prospect but Granlund is ahead him in every aspect of this game. Never seen player who is as smart as Granlund not even Datsyuk...

Let me preface my remarks by saying what I have said previously - Finland dominated the game yesterday and deserved to win by 3 goals, maybe more. But all this hype about Granlund is too much. I think Finnish fans were excited and energized by his "lacrosse trick" goal, and justifiably so. Coming when it did, it was a huge psychological factor.

But the lacrosse trick is nothing new - many have used the trick before, and most good hockey players are capable of flipping the puck up on their stick and carrying it to the net. Scoring by using the lacrosse trick is 99% luck, and 1% skill. You have to be in a situation where you can avoid all bodily contact with a defender. If you get even the smallest check, the puck will fall off of your stick. The best play that Granlund made was when he took the puck off of Kalinin's stick when Kalinin had full possession, and should have passed it out of danger. Then, Granlund got very lucky when Kulikov decided not to check Granlund behind the net, and instead skate to the slot area to close off passing lanes. This allowed Granlund to skate behind the net unchecked and use the playground lacrosse trick to put the puck in the net.

Tarasenko made his mark in the WJC where he was one of the main reasons why Russian won gold. He is a phenomenally talented player, and on the rare occasions when he was on the ice, he looked dynamic and explosive. The reason people aren't talking about him more is that Bykov refused to give him ice time, instead preferring to stick with older guys like Gorovikov, who might not make many mistakes, but who are incapable of doing anything great or dynamic! I was impressed with Granlund - he is clearly Finland's most talented player - but I am not sure that there is anything that he can do that Tarasenko, who is also a great talent, couldn't match.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Learn to read, never said hes better than Datsyuk hes just smarter. And you disagree all what i posted? seriously.

What do you base your claim that Granlund is smarter than Datsyuk on? Were they tested together in a laboratory, and Granlund came out with a higher test score?

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Russia has to be careful who they choose. I don't think anyone wants to see that undiscplined Russia that almost never play as a team, before Bykov it was pretty much like that, although this tournament Russia kinda played like that again. There's another concern if the Russian superstars dislike the new coach they won't be coming for WC anymore. I kind of even think they will make a new contract with Bykov and wouldn't see it as a bad move.

In regard to the Russian superstars, you have to respect and admire them for being willing to sacrifice to come and play for their country when they clearly have enough money to buy an island in the South Pacific and go bask in the sun for a couple of months. At the same time, the last two years show that their presence doesn't always impact the results. The Russian forwards from the NHL have scored a grand total of 2 goals in the entire tournament this year - 1 for Kovalchuk and 1 for Kulemin. With that level of production, it wouldn't make a difference if they showed up or not.

I believe that the Russian Federation has to develop a national team from the ranks of the KHL that is independent of the NHL superstars. The number of Russians in the NHL has dropped continuously for the past 6 or 7 years, and of course, you can never depend on who will be available and who will be in the playoffs. And then there are those who get lost in the AHL and CHL - whatever happened to Filatov, Grachev, Avtsin, Voinov, Kabanov, etc? The focus has to be on building a high quality cadre out of the KHL.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Let me preface my remarks by saying what I have said previously - Finland dominated the game yesterday and deserved to win by 3 goals, maybe more. But all this hype about Granlund is too much. I think Finnish fans were excited and energized by his "lacrosse trick" goal, and justifiably so. Coming when it did, it was a huge psychological factor.

But the lacrosse trick is nothing new - many have used the trick before, and most good hockey players are capable of flipping the puck up on their stick and carrying it to the net. Scoring by using the lacrosse trick is 99% luck, and 1% skill. You have to be in a situation where you can avoid all bodily contact with a defender. If you get even the smallest check, the puck will fall off of your stick. The best play that Granlund made was when he took the puck off of Kalinin's stick when Kalinin had full possession, and should have passed it out of danger. Then, Granlund got very lucky when Kulikov decided not to check Granlund behind the net, and instead skate to the slot area to close off passing lanes. This allowed Granlund to skate behind the net unchecked and use the playground lacrosse trick to put the puck in the net.

Tarasenko made his mark in the WJC where he was one of the main reasons why Russian won gold. He is a phenomenally talented player, and on the rare occasions when he was on the ice, he looked dynamic and explosive. The reason people aren't talking about him more is that Bykov refused to give him ice time, instead preferring to stick with older guys like Gorovikov, who might not make many mistakes, but who are incapable of doing anything great or dynamic! I was impressed with Granlund - he is clearly Finland's most talented player - but I am not sure that there is anything that he can do that Tarasenko, who is also a great talent, couldn't match.

The lacrosse goal, or bandy goal as us non-canadians would see it..
It's a trick, like a trick shot in pool, a trick dribble by soccer players.. the trick is something basically anyone can learn. After practice, you can do it everytime.
The point is, your average player, your average star does not do that when it matters.

A 19-year old by the name of Pele scored supposedly the greatest goal ever in 1958 - took the ball with his back to the net, chipped it over, spun around, passed two defenders and volleyed it into the back of the net.

A 19-year old by the name of Mikael Granlund scored supposedly the greatest goal ever in international tournaments, took the puck behind the net, snuck the blade of his stick underneath it , lifted the blade of his stick up and around to the very top corner of the goal and put the puck into the back of the net.

Seem familiar?

It's not *hype*. It's not overreaction.

It's completely natural to be in awe of the one guy out of thousands who have played in international tournaments in thousands of games to have the balls to do that.

Maybe thats what Bykov coudn't see in Tarasenko.

Look at Maradona's goal vs England in 1986, the second one. Ask yourself what would a soccer coach say he should do? Congrats you skipped your guy, now pass to someone else - spread the game.
But a true genius, he just goes on.
Past what, 10 guys? And scores?

They say Genius and Madness are seperated only by success - I kinda agree with that. A true great has the courage to do something different. Like Jagr's goal against the US, his second I believe? backhand pass, skate to the net, receive pass and score.
That's the same geniousness.

Dammit I can do that. And its been so long since I last skated that I'd probably fall on my ass every 2 minutes.
Jagr can do that, Kapanen can do that, Tarasenko can do that, Marty McSorley can do that.

Jagr does it.
Granlund does it.

Seriously, you blokes need to stop whining about overhyping - somethign jaw dropping like this = reason for overhyping.

end rant.
:yo:

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
The lacrosse goal, or bandy goal as us non-canadians would see it..
It's a trick, like a trick shot in pool, a trick dribble by soccer players.. the trick is something basically anyone can learn. After practice, you can do it everytime.
The point is, your average player, your average star does not do that when it matters.

A 19-year old by the name of Pele scored supposedly the greatest goal ever in 1958 - took the ball with his back to the net, chipped it over, spun around, passed two defenders and volleyed it into the back of the net.

A 19-year old by the name of Mikael Granlund scored supposedly the greatest goal ever in international tournaments, took the puck behind the net, snuck the blade of his stick underneath it , lifted the blade of his stick up and around to the very top corner of the goal and put the puck into the back of the net.

Seem familiar?

It's not *hype*. It's not overreaction.

It's completely natural to be in awe of the one guy out of thousands who have played in international tournaments in thousands of games to have the balls to do that.

Maybe thats what Bykov coudn't see in Tarasenko.

Look at Maradona's goal vs England in 1986, the second one. Ask yourself what would a soccer coach say he should do? Congrats you skipped your guy, now pass to someone else - spread the game.
But a true genius, he just goes on.
Past what, 10 guys? And scores?

They say Genius and Madness are seperated only by success - I kinda agree with that. A true great has the courage to do something different. Like Jagr's goal against the US, his second I believe? backhand pass, skate to the net, receive pass and score.
That's the same geniousness.

Dammit I can do that. And its been so long since I last skated that I'd probably fall on my ass every 2 minutes.
Jagr can do that, Kapanen can do that, Tarasenko can do that, Marty McSorley can do that.

Jagr does it.
Granlund does it.

Seriously, you blokes need to stop whining about overhyping - somethign jaw dropping like this = reason for overhyping.

end rant.
:yo:

You are right, this is getting ridiculous, and I won't comment anymore on the "The Great Granlund." According to your post, Granlund is a genius in the same class with Pele and Maradona, and soon to surpass Gretzky, Lemieux, Kharlamov, etc, as the greatest hockey player who ever lived. The lacrosse trick more impressive athletically than Pele's "bicicleta?" Better than stickhandling through an entire team, or kicking the puck between your skates and stick at full speed with a defender hanging off of you, like Jagr?

I assume that Granlund will score somewhere between 3 and 5 goals tomorrow and win the Gold Medal against Sweden. If he fails to dominate Sweden by himself, as you are implying, then is it fair to judge him as a failure who choked in the big game? In light of the super powers that are being attributed to him, it will be interesting to see if he annihilates Sweden by himself tomorrow.

Paatos

Jan 5, 2006
Oulu
Granlund is a good player, but still really unproven so the overhype can do much more harm than good at this point.

Actually I thought everything was going to hell when Kärpät and HIFK started their tug-of-war about him with his dad also getting involved in the mess. Luckily, it seems that Granlund is bit more intelligent and mentally strong that I had anticipated. Right now he just needs to work on his physique and keep the finnish media off his back and everything will be fine.

Dr Despair

Mar 22, 2009
I have a question for the Russian posters. How has the Russian media covered the semifinal? Has Bykov been targeted, or any of the players?

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
No much fault on single players (except that many remarked Ovechkin's draught), most of fault on the overall team and, of course, most of it on Bykov and Zakharkin.

Alessandro,

If Russia loses tomorrow, and Tretyak decides to replace Bykov and Zakharkin, who do you consider the main candidates to replace them to be?

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
You are right, this is getting ridiculous, and I won't comment anymore on the "The Great Granlund." According to your post, Granlund is a genius in the same class with Pele and Maradona, and soon to surpass Gretzky, Lemieux, Kharlamov, etc, as the greatest hockey player who ever lived.
:sarcasm:

I said he was a hockey genius, I didn't say he'd metamorphosize himself into Gretzky overnight.

Pure talent does not equal skill, he can have all the necessary tools, but how he matures and learns to use them is up to himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad