GDT: Semifinal • 05/22/10 • Russia 2, Germany 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

aBurmistrov

Dec 28, 2009
Toronto, ON
And who would've thought, Kovalchuk is the decisive Playmaker in this line since they've been put together. so many so high quality passes. he shows so much more smarts on the ice than an ovechkin.

Yeah, when Kovy goes in and is surrounded by other guys, he would turn back and look for his teammates. Earlier in his career, he would just try to go through those guys and try to shoot the puck. It's nice to see he's getting better.

RusskiyHockey

Apr 5, 2008
russkiyhockey.wordpress.com
That was far more entertaining match than I think a 6-1 game could've been. Germany played like a strong competitor. I hope they win bronze... they'll deserve it. And the Kovy-Datsyuk-Malkin line has been one of Bykov's most genius creations ever. Kovalchuk is leading the tournament in scoring now, but Malkin and Datsyuk are absolutely hungry to win with Russia... after all,, they weren't part of the '08 and '09 wins.

fuechsken

Sep 19, 2009
Mannheim, Germany
I think it's funny how you can build up new expectations during the game. Before the game I was hoping Germany could keep the score close as long as possible. In the end I was so upset about Datsyuk's late goal, that I even skipped watching the soccer game :) Don't worry, I calmed down and I am really proud of what Team Germany showed tonight.

Ilya Kovalchoke*

BTW, Ovechkin looks soooo worn out, like an old civil war battle flag.

Yep it turns out that a player in his early 20s can get tired from playing an NHL season, Olympics and playoffs.

Don't get me wrong good for Ovechkin for playing but he has played a lot of hockey this year and it shows.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
Heard something about a "heavy" concussion. Guess he won`t play tomorrow.

the only articles i can find say "light" concussion.

i guess they will say something about it tomorrow. but he's definitely out for the bronze game.

NeilYoung

May 7, 2009
I don't know why they didn't rest Ovechkin for this game his groins obviously still sore
As a caps fan I wish he stayed home like Crosby did I feel the rest would be beneficial to him.
I like that Varlamov went though the experience will help him and from the games I've watched he's been very good (other than the weak goal at the end of the canada game)

omaha82

May 20, 2010
Heidelberg, Germany
ou8npv.jpg

Tronador

Nov 13, 2003
Berlin
Visit site
Although it is sad to loose after such a closed game, we can be really proud of what the German team had shown.

How many shots did the Russians and Germans had?

tomf

Apr 13, 2007
That was far more entertaining match than I think a 6-1 game could've been. Germany played like a strong competitor. I hope they win bronze... they'll deserve it. And the Kovy-Datsyuk-Malkin line has been one of Bykov's most genius creations ever. Kovalchuk is leading the tournament in scoring now, but Malkin and Datsyuk are absolutely hungry to win with Russia... after all,, they weren't part of the '08 and '09 wins.

Yes, in 4 games together they combined for 10 goals and 22 points and if I am not mistaken they were on ice for none goals against during that time ... pretty impressive.

Reasoned Opinion

May 21, 2009
Logic Land
WHAT????
Rob 'I-can-not-save-a-single-shot-without-a-rebound-even-if-it-is-in-my-glove' Zepp? I am disappointed that we do not ice our best roster in such a historic game and clearly indicate that we are aiming for bronze, but starting Zepp is plain-out unacceptable. A German victory would now reach miracle-on-ice-calibre.
.......you better? :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad