GDT: Semi Final: Russia Vs Sweden | 9AM EST 1PM CET | RUS 5 - 4 SWE OT

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
;)
Have to compliment your picture, I know this is ironic and a statement about what kind of people you see walking around Sergels Torg nowadays but probably not want to see ? - where are the coloured guys in that swedish team - why is it an all-white team - ABOUT 30% should be not looking like typical svenssons? [/QUOTE]

Last edited:

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
I can't think of anything in modern sports as depressing as Sweden's failure in the playoffs of this tournament year after year
Yeah, I'm too lazy to look it up, but is Sweden at the WJC the longest drought to make it to the knockout round of a tournament but fail to win the championship? This can be for either club or country in a tournament that is an annual tournament.

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
It's gold or nothing! They should remove the Bronze medal game from tournaments tbh.
For some teams yes, but for some teams bronze will mean a lot. I don't mind keeping the things as they are.
I agree with c9gunner. If by a miracle one of the "lesser" teams can make it to the semifinal, I'm sure they would LOVE the chance to win bronze if they can't get to the gold medal game. For the likes of Switzerland, Germany, etc. the bronze medal game might in fact be their gold medal game. So I say keep the bronze game.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
52 straight preliminary round wins for Sweden and only 1 gold to show for it...that's insane. :eek:

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Yeah, I'm too lazy to look it up, but is Sweden at the WJC the longest drought to make it to the knockout round of a tournament but fail to win the championship? This can be for either club or country in a tournament that is an annual tournament.

Not even close. The Czechs have made it to the quarters every year but haven't won since 2001.

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
It’s a shame because a positive record like that starts to become a negative thing as the slump gets longer.
You always finish first in your group in that time span, though, so that’s far from a crowning achievement, beating up Slovakia or someone.

Disagree.. that 53-0 record is phenomenal and they earned the easier quarter. Every year they've had at least ONE other hockey power in their pool. It's amazing.
I think Nyquil might have a point. In my opinion, it's like a psychological burden for Sweden to be undefeated in group play, then the failure in elimination games does something to their mind, and it's almost like Swedes just accept that they can't win gold (or move on to gold medal game). Instead, they just have to accept success only at the group level (53 consecutive victories...and counting)
Oh well, if my team (USA) can't win gold, I was cheering for Tre Kroner. Looks like I will be 0-2 this year.

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
Yes, they talked about that in the Swedish hockey studio, that they would MUCH rather have faced Finland in the last game than the first. It was a nightmare schedule.

[snip]
How do they decide in what order a team will play another team during the group play? Does the host country (countries) decide? Does IIHF decide? Is it completely random draw? Does the team itself have any control over this? For the example spoken by Chimp, could Sweden ask to play Finland as the final group game instead of the first group game?

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I think Nyquil might have a point. In my opinion, it's like a psychological burden for Sweden to be undefeated in group play, then the failure in elimination games does something to their mind, and it's almost like Swedes just accept that they can't win gold (or move on to gold medal game). Instead, they just have to accept success only at the group level (53 consecutive victories...and counting)
Oh well, if my team (USA) can't win gold, I was cheering for Tre Kroner. Looks like I will be 0-2 this year.

I don't know. It's been a matter of bounces on at least a couple of occasions. I only see this streak as something positive.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
Statistics-wise (save percentage) Askarov is 9th among 10 starting goalies.

IIHF - Statistics 2020 IIHF World Junior Championship

I assume his tenure in net is over though at this point with one big game left.

Maybe a Russian fan can shed some light as to why he started the Sweden game. He is very highly touted going into this tournament.
So, in his pre-game speech, Larionov said that a goalie decision is made by Khabibulin and Bragin. Khabibulin, as a goalie coach, must have recommended Bragin to start Askarov, and Bragin decided to go with it.

Reactions: NyQuil

VLADDY

May 13, 2012
Moscow
Whatever :D! His answer to your question was dumb anyway with muhh we got as much ppl watching it as there is people in Sweden... but we got a population 15× your size :D!
Hur mor Du, Dude, come to Russia and see who are Russians, You probably are not intersted in soccer you would know how good Russians ) But the way I'be been in Sundsvall

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
You're missing my point by a mile. Patrick Lalime, is that you?

I'm asking... Why was he on the BENCH? He's their best keeper.

He is playing better right now, sure, but I'm not sure Miftakhov is a better goalie then Askarov. He is certainly not more talented.

Askarov had 2 straight nice games vs Germany and Swiss right before the Sweden game, so it's not like he was giving any reason to be benched.

Dexter Colt

Oct 29, 2007
Mendham, NJ
By the way, that Sokolov goal that made the score 3-1 is really nice.

When you watch it in real time, it just looks like a horrible turnover by the goalie, but the replay shows that Sokolov made an excellent NFL-DB-caliber lateral move for interception. Plus nice patience allowed him to open up a shooting lane and a nice shot at a sharp angle.
I loved his patience on that play. Sokolov was just on today; the game-tying goal is still his highlight for me. Patient and just such smooth hands to make the shot, especially at a dire moment.

HC7

May 2, 2018
No... No he is not. He is good and has had a terrific game today, but he is not "far and away the best player in this tourney". He is surely among the best players and certainly among the best defensemen, but far and away is reeeaally pushing it.

He's playing the hardest competition, and is top 5 in scoring in the whole tournament. Get a clue.

VLADDY

May 13, 2012
Moscow
The Bragin Balls team strikes again.

coming from behind in the third to win the game.

Great job, boys!

good game by team Sweden as well, they played hard, we were just a bit luckier in OT

Not just luckeir.. stronger !!!

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
Hur mor Du, Dude, come to Russia and see who are Russians, You probably are not intersted in soccer you would know how good Russians ) But the way I'be been in Sundsvall

Ehm srry I have no idea what you want to say? have you been to Sundsvall good for you! no Football is pretty boring game full of divers... I will not go to Russia sinces you guys are going to put snus up as narcotic and illegal. Otherwise i would have loved to go there! got lots of friends from Chechnya.

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
I agree with c9gunner. If by a miracle one of the "lesser" teams can make it to the semifinal, I'm sure they would LOVE the chance to win bronze if they can't get to the gold medal game. For the likes of Switzerland, Germany, etc. the bronze medal game might in fact be their gold medal game. So I say keep the bronze game.

I see you're guys points and i admit you guys are right! I was writing it in the heat of the moment you know! in my mindset Sweden doesnt win a Silver or Bronze they lose the gold! if you get what i mean! ofc you guys are right I see that now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad