GDT: Semi Final: Russia Vs Sweden | 9AM EST 1PM CET | RUS 5 - 4 SWE OT

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Deserve is a wrong word. If deserving decided anything, Sweden would have won 5 or 6 WjC in last 12 years.

So you think Sweden alone is pretty much as good as the rest of the hockey world combined? That's what you are saying, claiming that half the titles should be Sweden's. Get lost super-homer. And don't let the door hit you on the ass.

Reactions: NinjaKick

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
So you think Sweden alone is pretty much as good as the rest of the hockey world combined? That's what you are saying, claiming that half the titles should be Sweden's. Get lost super-homer. And don't let the door hit you on the ass.

What I am saying is that deserving is a very subjective term and if anyone deserves smth at WJC level it is Sweden who has no luck at WJC at all.

Reactions: Kurtz

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Yup, in great detail.

He gives up the middle of the ice because his gap is too big. The fact the Russian player can gain the zone, cut from the outside (where Sandin should want him) to the middle and gain inside out position on the defender shows how poorly it was played.

Your explanation is insanity. He gives up the middle of the ice, if that's properly played the Russian can't get to his right at all.

Completely agree this is basic, not sure how you can struggle with the interpretation this badly. It's basic defensive concepts.

He’s not struggling, it’s just a Leafs prospect and some fans will never admit when their guy made a mistake. He was their best player for 3 periods and made one bad play that just happened to be the game winner. It shouldn’t be that hard to admit, but here we are.

As a Wings fan, I have no trouble admitting Veleno has been disappointing... not sure why some fans can’t admit things like that.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Sandin vastly outplayed romanov in the game? He was gassed on the play for sure though?

Romanov had one bad play in the game, a stupid penalty, that costed Russia a goal against. On the other hand, his great play helped us to score the 4th goal. Russian defense was obviously better on 5 vs 5 situations as well.

Reactions: Magnifico

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Yes, they talked about that in the Swedish hockey studio, that they would MUCH rather have faced Finland in the last game than the first. It was a nightmare schedule.

But I think the Swedish team had a fine game. Too shallow in forwards, especially after losing Höglander. Losing to that Russian team is nothing to be ashamed about. Especially not when deciding the game in a Mickey Mouse gimmick.

The reason the game even go to that point was Askarov.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Romanov had one bad play in the game, a stupid penalty, that costed Russia a goal against. On the other hand, his great play helped us to score the 4th goal. Russian defense was obviously better on 5 vs 5 situations as well.

Nope.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Sandin had to do the work of two D because of the awful line change by his D teammate just before it happened. He didn't have any help back there. Not his fault. I guess he could have slashed the guy in the wrists and broke up the play without getting a penalty.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
That's what most non-Swedish fans said...

Tell me again how the russian D won this game.

Russian forwards vastly outplayed the Swedish Ones while capitalizing in mistakes by Alnefeldt.

In no way did Russia win because Russias D were better than the Swedish one.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
This might be the deepest roster Russia has had in awhile.

While not everyone is playing on the same level obviously, there really isn't anyone that doesn't look like they belong.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Great game by both teams! Russia had to overcome big goaltending problems, but Miftakov came in and played very well. Russia controlled the puck and put tremendous pressure on the Swedish goalie, who was superb. Askarov will be very good some day, but he has some work to do. He played the whole game on his knees, and that allowed Sweden to target the upper 40% of the net and have a party! Three power play goals on long shots that he couldn't track.

Great effort by Russia. Let's hope they have some more juice left for tomorrow.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
I just went and bought a can of Pringles, four donuts and a pack of chili cheese nuggets as consolation. Later I'll pour myself a large whiskey too.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
By the way, that Sokolov goal that made the score 3-1 is really nice.

When you watch it in real time, it just looks like a horrible turnover by the goalie, but the replay shows that Sokolov made an excellent NFL-DB-caliber lateral move for interception. Plus nice patience allowed him to open up a shooting lane and a nice shot at a sharp angle.

Reactions: Sentinel

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Sandin had to do the work of two D because of the awful line change by his D teammate just before it happened. He didn't have any help back there. Not his fault. I guess he could have slashed the guy in the wrists and broke up the play without getting a penalty.

Lol, it was as clear 1 vs 1 beating, as it can ever be. He was just outplayed by a forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad