GDT: Semi Final: Russia Vs Sweden | 9AM EST 1PM CET | RUS 5 - 4 SWE OT

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
It was an incredibly great game. My respect for the Swedes, they returned after 1:3 and even took the lead. It was an honor to play against them. I wish them good luck in the bronze medal game!

Well said. Great game by two excellent teams.

There are these back and forth conversations all the time of who outplayed whom. Both teams showed high class of hockey imo.

Reactions: Sentinel and Slimmy

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I didn’t say he didn’t. I also didn’t describe a situation that never occurred. On that note, you may wish to focus on your own eyesight.

The situation that occurred was Sandin got walked. If he played him properly he would have kept the Russian on his weakside and prevented a scoring chance.

urgen

Feb 25, 2018
What Morozov said to Russian TV is, - after we swapped the lines I noticed that Swedish player loosed his speed so I decided to go after him..

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
Great game for sandin 4 points but coulda played the last one better. Kids a stud. Sucks Sweden couldn’t pull it off

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
The situation that occurred was Sandin got walked. If he played him properly he would have kept the Russian on his weakside and prevented a scoring chance.

He didn't get walked. It also wasn't a 1-on-3. He also didn't let the opposing player to the inside. These are all things you have claimed. He did get caught out of position initially, tried to recover and was able to force him slightly to the outside. I agree, he didn't play it perfectly and got beat wide. But none of the things in your initial post happened. It's like saying, "he tripped over his own stick and took out the goaltender. Brutal!" Then shifting the goalposts when someone responds.

I think it's worth pointing out that the Swede who went for a change put Sandin on an island and unfortunately he didn't seem to recognize the situation quick enough.

The Lemonheads

Peanut Gallery
Feb 2, 2010
Toronto
What was up with the Russain keeper?

Who starts the final? Not exactly a mindset you want heading into a potential shootout of a final.

I was thinking Canada might be mentally screwed but now Russia can't stop a beachball?

Evens it out to me. Still think Russians are a slight favorite.

Reactions: greatwhitenorth

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
What was up with the Russain keeper?

Who starts the final? Not exactly a mindset you want heading into a potential shootout of a final.

I was thinking Canada mind be mentally screwed but now Russia can't stop a beachball?

Evens it out to me. Still think Russians are a slight favorite.

It’s pretty clear they don’t start Askarov.

Their back-up looked pretty good.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
Russia was the far better team and definately deserved to win. Felt they had so many more high quality chances than us.
Wont watch the bronze medal game, and Im not sure it should be played at all tbh.
No wonder the players have a hard time getting up for such games.

The Lemonheads

Peanut Gallery
Feb 2, 2010
Toronto
Not exactly cold. He came in and was solid and won the game against Sweden.

You were aware that Askarov was pulled in the semi-final?

We're talking about the semi-final.

I saw him get pulled and bollocks the backup won them the game.

Anyone would look solid after that sieve got pulled.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
We're talking about the semi-final.

I saw him get pulled and bollocks the backup won them the game.

Anyone would look solid after that sieve got pulled.

Sounds like it’s a pretty easy choice.

Miftakhov shut out the Canadians 6-0 earlier in the tournament too.

The Lemonheads

Peanut Gallery
Feb 2, 2010
Toronto
Sounds like it’s a pretty easy choice.

Miftakhov shut out the Canadians 6-0 earlier in the tournament too.

But that's why I'm asking. What's up with their keepers? Their heading into the final and still don't have a #1?

Canada got smashed and sorted it out.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
But that's why I'm asking. What's up with their keepers? Their heading into the final and still don't have a #1?

Canada got smashed and sorted it out.

Why wouldn’t they just go with the guy that won in the semi-final and won against Canada?

I think it’s pretty clear.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
By the way, that Sokolov goal that made the score 3-1 is really nice.

When you watch it in real time, it just looks like a horrible turnover by the goalie, but the replay shows that Sokolov made an excellent NFL-DB-caliber lateral move for interception. Plus nice patience allowed him to open up a shooting lane and a nice shot at a sharp angle.
That was such a wicked shot at like 1 degree angle.

Reactions: MaxV

The Lemonheads

Peanut Gallery
Feb 2, 2010
Toronto
You asked “Who starts the final?”

And I answered.

So we agree that he's their best keeper... but he wasn't selected to play their biggest game.

That's my confusion. What was the reason he was told to take the day off and then, oops scramble last minute and toss him in and they barely won the game.

Just seems odd.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
So we agree that he's their best keeper... but he wasn't selected to play their biggest game.

That's my confusion. What was the reason he was told to take the day off and then, oops scramble last minute and toss him in and they barely won the game.

Just seems odd.

Statistics-wise (save percentage) Askarov is 9th among 10 starting goalies.

IIHF - Statistics 2020 IIHF World Junior Championship

I assume his tenure in net is over though at this point with one big game left.

Maybe a Russian fan can shed some light as to why he started the Sweden game. He is very highly touted going into this tournament.

The Lemonheads

Peanut Gallery
Feb 2, 2010
Toronto
Statistics-wise (save percentage) Askarov is 9th among 10 starting goalies.

IIHF - Statistics 2020 IIHF World Junior Championship

I assume his tenure in net is over though at this point with one big game left.

Maybe a Russian fan can shed some light as to why he started the Sweden game. He is very highly touted going into this tournament.

I'm not trying to argue... I'm just wondering if Mike bloody Babcock is coaching Russia because this is very confusing.

And being the underdog, as a Candian supporter, I'm hoping for an edge... cause we need it.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'm not trying to argue... I'm just wondering if Mike bloody Babcock is coaching Russia because this is very confusing.

And being the underdog, as a Candian supporter, I'm hoping for an edge... cause we need it.

Yeah, we’re just agreeing that it’s a bit weird.

I think Askarov’s performance though against Sweden should make this a no-brainer for the final though.

The Lemonheads

Peanut Gallery
Feb 2, 2010
Toronto
Yeah, we’re just agreeing that it’s a bit weird.

I think Askarov’s performance though against Sweden should make this a no-brainer for the final though.

Yeah he's definitely starting.

And it's probably not going to be a big factor.... it's a bit of a stumble.. but I just get a bit more hope when I see a bit of indecision in the semi finals.

They're the favorites.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->