GDT: Semi Final: Russia Vs Sweden | 9AM EST 1PM CET | RUS 5 - 4 SWE OT

NekcuP

Aug 9, 2019
2011: Win for Russia after SO
2012: Win for Sweden after OT
2013: Win for Sweden after SO
2014: Win for Sweden, 2-1
2015: Win for Russia, 4-1

As you see, almost every time we face Russia its going to be a close one!

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
So you're comparing AHL minutes to KHL ..

Hey if you guys want to believe that NHL draft rankings determine how good the players are .. I hope it goes to their head.. It'll make it easier for Russia..

Why can't I compare? KHL is a russian league with a strict limit on imports. Being a top guy there is a good sign, but just playing 12 minutes? Means nothing. There are players, who wouldn't make AHL, SHL or NLA rosters who play in KHL.
You may argue that KHL is better but not by much. And we are talking about top player in AHL or top player in SHL and a 12 minute per game guy in KHL.

Draft rankings do not determine how good players will be, but it is a good marker.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
If team Russia plays at the best of their capacities, they have the edge IMO, yeah team Sweden has an incredible blueline, but their center line is rather weak and they didnt face much adversity... While not at the same level, team Rusia still have a solid blueline this year and have more firepower up front... That being said, I wouldnt bet 1 penny on this one, thats pretty much 50\50 or 55\45... Team Sweden has to start strong and play a flawless 60 mins game or more if needed...

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
I wouldn't be far from the truth if I say the amount of people in Russia who care is close to a number of a total Sweden's population.

Which is totalty irrelevant because Russia has a population of 150million while Sweden got a population of 10... so you have to talk % of the total population.

c9gunner

Dec 24, 2011
Oh well. It will be a close one, but as a Russian fan I would say 3-2 Russia.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Which is totalty irrelevant because Russia has a population of 150million while Sweden got a population of 10... so you have to talk % of the total population.
lmao who cares about percentages? I was asked how many people care about wjc in Russia. Even if it's 10% of Russia's population it's still 5 millions more than Sweden has people in total. What are you on about, dude?

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
lmao who cares about percentages? I was asked how many people care about wjc in Russia. Even if it's 10% of Russia's population it's still 5 million more than Sweden has people in total. What are you on about, dude?

He asked you how big it was... and you came up with a f***ing stupid answer... like asking how big is volleyboll in China muhh we got more people watching it than there is population in your country no shit sherlock... and 10% is pretty low numbers... if we assume it is that.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
He asked you how big it was... and you came up with a ****ing stupid answer... like asking how big is volleyboll in China muhh we got more people watching it than there is population in your country no **** sherlock... and 10% is pretty low numbers... if we assume it is that.
does anyone in russia care about WJC?
Reading comprehension is not your strength obviously, try again.

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

Anichels

May 3, 2013
Hub City
I don't think Sweden's defence has been properly tested this tournament.
After the Finnish game on the 26th it was pretty smooth sailing. So I think they will struggle a bit.

I'll go with a 4-4 tie. Somebody takes a penalty in overtime and loses on the PK

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
I don't think Sweden's defence has been properly tested this tournament.
After the Finnish game on the 26th it was pretty smooth sailing. So I think they will struggle a bit.

I'm a bit worried about speed and how Sweden will handle more energetic forechecking. Every team so far (even Finland) has fallen back against us from the start, allowing us to control the pace and flow and play a possession game. Russia will be more aggressive which means we will have to step up too and maybe play more dump and chase.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
More Salt maybe?

and No Olympic Gold, and only 2 Men's Ice Hockey Gold after more 80 years of ice hockey, but we are saluting Finland still, Gold every year for Sauna Championships.

Sweden is still far more accomplished in Hockey than Finland, and inertia of history will likely keep it that way long in to a future too.

That Sauna World Championship thing is little bit OT, and not very well fitting comparison, as that tournament ended when people realized Sauna and competition isn't exactly two things you should ever combine. The last official Champion was Finn Ilkka Pöyhiä. In the last finals Finn, Finnish champion Timo 'Sauna-Timo' Kaukonen got 70% burns to his skin barely surviving alive from the event, medically induced coma, with time consuming recovery and following PTSD symptoms, but nevertheless continued as hard boiled sauna enthusiast and professional. TIMO KAUKONEN

The other finalist, Russian Vladimir Ladyzhensky was last to "leave" from Sauna. He also left the life and will eternally continue bathing in hotter, etherworldly Saunas, forever. He will keep saunas warm there to be ready for incoming folks.

RIP.

World Sauna Championships - Wikipedia

If the Sauna Championship wouldn't be discontinued, the talent pool coming from Finland, Karelia, and North-Western parts of Russian Federation would readily wash all other nations per capita, by far.

But, granted, Swedes has at least own native word for the sport. I give that.

ADD: The Finnish Sauna Society - Suomen Saunaseura ry ("The highest authority about Finnish Sauna culture, if there can exist such thing")

Last edited:

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
I'm a bit worried about speed and how Sweden will handle more energetic forechecking. Every team so far (even Finland) has fallen back against us from the start, allowing us to control the pace and flow and play a possession game. Russia will be more aggressive which means we will have to step up too and maybe play more dump and chase.

On other hand Russia got their ass handed over to them by the Czech which we had a walk in the park with.

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
Transitivity hasn't been that reliable this tournament.

I know sports doesnt works like that :p but I'm so sick and tired of the loser mentality we got in this country... woho we took bronze woho we won a silver no we lost the gold!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad