GDT: Semi Final: Russia Vs Sweden | 9AM EST 1PM CET | RUS 5 - 4 SWE OT

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I wonder if Bragin will deploy Podkolzin to try and shutdown tournament leading scorer Hoglander.

Sweden has the best D-core in the tournament by FAR! 5 first rounders i belibe play on that Defence.
Russia is going to have to get greasy goals. Individual efforts and finesse isnt going to be good enough in this game.

I think Sweden takes it 3-1.

Would be just as happy though to see Russia pull through.

Those 1st rounds mean nothing. Romanov is a 2nd rounder, and he's better, than most of those defensemen, if not all of them, so I don't think Sweden defense is better, than Russian.

Reactions: VLADDY and Anichels

canswetoxic

Dec 29, 2015
Toronto
Wow some salty Swedish journalism right there :D Finland has 5 wjc golds vs Sweden 2 golds :D

More Salt maybe?

and No Olympic Gold, and only 2 Men's Ice Hockey Gold after more 80 years of ice hockey, but we are saluting Finland still, Gold every year for Sauna Championships.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Those 1st rounds mean nothing. Romanov is a 2nd rounder, and he's better, than most of those defensemen, if not all of them, so I don't think Sweden defense is better, than Russian.

If we assume Romanov is the best D in the game, he might very well be, there's at least 3 defensemen on Team Sweden that's right up there with him in Broberg, Sandin and Söderström.

Swedens top D's is as great or almost as great as Romanov but the depth is just superior.

I still hold Russia as the favorite in this game due to their superior forwards but in terms of defense.. Sweden wins it.

Brun0

Jul 24, 2009
More Salt maybe?

and No Olympic Gold, and only 2 Men's Ice Hockey Gold after more 80 years of ice hockey, but we are saluting Finland still, Gold every year for Sauna Championships.

ouh, I though that we had 3, but maybe Bratislava still hurts? :)

Reactions: THE JAM

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Hoping for a Russian win and Canadian win on the other game so the best rivals in international hockey can battle it out for Gold.

If you want the best international hockey rivalry, surely you want Sweden - Finland instead?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
If you want the best international hockey rivalry, surely you want Sweden - Finland instead?

You’re kidding right?

Canada v Russia is far and away the greatest historical hockey rivalry.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Wow some salty Swedish journalism right there :D Finland has 5 wjc golds vs Sweden 2 golds :D

I would rather have 11 WC golds and 47 medals compared to 3 WC golds and 13 medals. I would also rather have 2 Olympic golds and 8 medals, like Sweden, instead of 0 golds ever and only 6 medals, like Finland.

Pensionsraddare

May 18, 2018
Karlstad
If we assume Romanov is the best D in the game, he might very well be, there's at least 3 defensemen on Team Sweden that's right up there with him in Broberg, Sandin and Söderström.

Swedens top D's is as great or almost as great as Romanov but the depth is just superior.

I still hold Russia as the favorite in this game due to their superior forwards but in terms of defense.. Sweden wins it.

Maybe Russia do have superior forwards but it is still two swedish forwards as topscorers in this tournament. Russia better depth though. If i may rank both teams strengths it would be something like this:

Goalies:

Sweden: 4
Russia: 3,5

Defense:

Sweden: 5
Russia: 3

Forwards:

Sweden: 3
Russia: 4,5

That gives Sweden a total of 12 points and 11 for Russia. Sweden a bit better on paper in my opinion. Good thing for Russia that games don’t get decided on paper.

canswetoxic

Dec 29, 2015
Toronto
I would rather have 11 WC golds and 47 medals compared to 3 WC golds and 13 medals. I would also rather have 2 Olympic golds and 8 medals, like Sweden, instead of 0 golds ever and only 6 medals, like Finland.

Don't forget they are champion every year, on World Sauna Championships. So technically, Finland is still the best Ice Hockey powerhouse :sarcasm:

Reactions: AB13

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
You’re kidding right?

Historically I see your point, but it isn’t as heated or tense as it used to, I think. Sweden - Finland being a more heated, local rivalry makes it superior in my eyes.

Reactions: Star Ocean

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Maybe Russia do have superior forwards but it is still two swedish forwards as topscorers in this tournament. Russia better depth though. If i may rank both teams strengths it would be something like this:

Goalies:

Sweden: 4
Russia: 3,5

Defense:

Sweden: 5
Russia: 3

Forwards:

Sweden: 3
Russia: 4,5

That gives Sweden a total of 12 points and 11 for Russia. Sweden a bit better on paper in my opinion. Good thing for Russia that games don’t get decided on paper.

The way Fagemo, Höglander, Holtz and Raymond have played, our forwards deserve more than a 3.

Brun0

Jul 24, 2009

Yeah but id seay we have been a hockeynation only the last 30 years. its kinda useless to compare 1956 olympics golds don't you think?

yeah olympic gold we are missing, but its just a matter of time we get it.

canswetoxic

Dec 29, 2015
Toronto
Yeah but id seay we have been a hockeynation only the last 30 years. its kinda useless to compare 1956 olympics golds don't you think?

yeah olympic gold we are missing, but its just a matter of time we get it.

Of course it's useless when you literally had Nothing, nada to compare with. Come back with a better salt when you have a better argument otherwise just sit aside and keep quiet, and keep this thread to Russia vs Sweden.

Pensionsraddare

May 18, 2018
Karlstad
The way Fagemo, Höglander, Holtz and Raymond have played, our forwards deserve more than a 3.

Maybe a 3,5. I didn’t wanted to go full bias ;) The production behind those players have not been good enough to deserve any higher grade than that. Russia has better depth there no question. But our defense is a clear 5.

Fried Tree Sap

May 12, 2016
I think this game is a coin flip....speaking of which....my coin says Sweden will win, but it got the last game wrong so I'm not sure how much faith I'd put in it.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
You’re kidding right?

Maybe in general but not on these boards. How many russian fans are there here? Vid and not much more.

It is not much of a rivalry when 99% are canadian fans.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006

Oh really? Sandin is a top D in AHL, Soderstrom and Lundqvist are top players in SHL. But 12 minutes per game Romanov is a better player?

NekcuP

Aug 9, 2019

The finns seems to just focus on the WJC.

If we talk junior icehockey, Finland has been better over the years, yes. But if we talk junior icehockey, we need to talk about everything who means something.

Like Hlinka-Cup and the U17 Tournament in november too.

Especially the Hlinka-cup is very interesting and a very good value meter, given that Canada has dominated it overall. More important than u18-wc if you ask me. The U17 tournament in november is incredibly good value meter too, as it is always played on small ice. Over the years, Sweden has fared much better than Finland in these two.

Then I understand that U20/U18 WC is much bigger medially, hence people are rocked into a false feeling as if Finland were to run away from Sweden in the junior ice hockey..

Passionis

Dec 10, 2015
Oh really? Sandin is a top D in AHL, Soderstrom and Lundqvist are top players in SHL. But 12 minutes per game Romanov is a better player?
So you're comparing AHL minutes to KHL ..

Hey if you guys want to believe that NHL draft rankings determine how good the players are .. I hope it goes to their head.. It'll make it easier for Russia..

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
At some point I expect our lack of star power up front will bite us. Guessing Russia takes this in a tight low scoring game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->