GDT: Semi-Final | Russia Vs Canada | 6PM | TSN/NHLN

Status
Not open for further replies.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I don't really care about exhibition games or even round robin games when it comes to predicting performances in elimination games.

It's a new tournament once you are one and done in pursuit of the gold.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Passionis

Dec 10, 2015
They play similarly in their own zone.
How?? Russian forwards put very high pressure, and as soon as it's turned over they either look for a quick breakout pass or turn around and play tictactoe with forecheckers.

The Czechs form a super passive wall, when there is a turnover they just take it and run, if there's no play they dump and change. Complete opposite.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
How?? Russian forwards put very high pressure, and as soon as it's turned over they either look for a quick breakout pass or turn around and play tictactoe with forecheckers.

The Czechs form a super passive wall, when there is a turnover they just take it and run, if there's no play they dump and change. Complete opposite.

Fair enough, I thought they were both pretty disciplined with their assignments and patient - not risking being out of position to make a play and give up a potential odd-man situation in their own zone.

But if the Russians decide to play high-pressure, it could certainly pay off for Canada as it's a high risk high reward type of approach if they fail to turn the puck over and end up out of position.

I'm not a fan of passive defensive systems but they certainly work against Canada.

Fried Tree Sap

May 12, 2016
I think Canada are the favorites, but I would not be surprised at all if Russia takes it. I don't think either team is going to under estimate their opponent, and I'm expecting a tight close game that goes down to the wire (it seemingly always does). I expect the winner of this game to go on and take the gold.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I wasn’t impressed with Canada vs Czech

Canada blows a 1-0 lead and Russia eventually wins 4-2 with an empty netter

c9gunner

Dec 24, 2011
People predicting a sure win for the either team are obviously not familiar with this tournament's history. For example - take a look at the last year - Canada lost to Russia 6-0 in preliminary round and won 4-3 in GMG. There are multiple factors that could affect this game, so I'm not sure which team will win. The only thing I'm sure about is the good hockey game this pm. Lets go Russia!

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I think Canada are the favorites, but I would not be surprised at all if Russia takes it. I don't think either team is going to under estimate their opponent, and I'm expecting a tight close game that goes down to the wire (it seemingly always does). I expect the winner of this game to go on and take the gold.
Yeah, nobody denies Canada is the favorite today, but people saying they expect an easy outing are a bit naive

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
LOL. the article headline is lot's of pressure, a great average level and bonus - problems with the PP.

showing mad respect.

It's a relatively fair criticism.

They bring up Canada's depth but no real stand-out offensive producers - lots of offense but very spread out.

Lots of effort, forechecking and increasingly production off the counter.

It's also the old story where Canada hasn't trailed in this tournament so no one really knows how they will respond in that situation.

On the other hand, it also means that they haven't trailed in the tournament, and while a little adversity early on is sometimes welcome, the fact remains that they've been in control of every game to date.

The PP is rightly a concern as the games get tighter - losing the special teams battle likely means going home. We don't have a guy like Zegras, as the article points out, so our PP has to be run from the points.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
There aren’t many greater rivalries in sport better than Canada vs Russia on the international hockey stage. Looking forward to this one.

I'm fine with playing the Russians in the semi-final. I prefer a Canada-USA GMG to be honest. more entertainment value in that GMG matchup. Got to beat the Russians to get there though...and that's not a guarantee. Could go either way tonight.

D Wakaluk

Dec 8, 2010
stuck in the '90s
It's not fun to witness this kind slaughter in the semis. Poor Russia.

Canada should be able to send 10 teams to this tournament and settle the gold amongst themselves

This is out house!

Reactions: Back in Black

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I'm fine with playing the Russians in the semi-final. I prefer a Canada-USA GMG to be honest. more entertainment value in that GMG matchup. Got to beat the Russians to get there though...and that's not a guarantee. Could go either way tonight.

I can understand that, but there’s a lot more history with Canada/Russia.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Canada should be able to send 10 teams to this tournament and settle the gold amongst themselves

This is out house!

full

Passionis

Dec 10, 2015

This is out house!
Funny enough there is some truth to that, but I do think Russian hockey is nipping on the heels of Canadian development and it won't be too much longer before its equal and surpassed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad