GDT: Semi-Final | Russia Vs Canada | 6PM | TSN/NHLN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
You seem to be intoxicated by beating down on depleted Germans and Swiss. Heck, Czech Republic outplayed Canada at times. It will be a close game and any team can win it.
No need to drown any sorrows today. We win this one easy. Like I said before, Askarov has looked real shaky.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
From a Canadian perspective, the forecheck should be the key thing. It caused a lot of problems for Russia in the pre-tournament game and did even more against Finland for two periods. It was pretty anemic against Czech Republic though. I still think that Levi is a bit of a question mark against sustained pressure. I'm also hoping that Canada can connect on simple passes more consistently. I'll predict a Canada win but I wouldn't be al that surprised by any result.

Relentless Pressure and support '; good tending must haves for Canada to win. They can do it... I hope Newhook is good to go 95%+

Reactions: Ginger Papa

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
You seem to be intoxicated by beating down on depleted Germans and Swiss.

You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Remember your comments before the game against Finland?

Might as well re-visit this post.

ViD said:
I see Canada fans are getting carried away after their team demolished lesser hockey nations. A rude awakening awaits them.

Passionis

Dec 10, 2015
I disagree .. they have a reluctance to give the puck up and put it deep.. They have the players that can win puck battles . There are some stats on this out there I've seen .. not sure where at this point
It's not reluctance it's a style of play, they still get in the zone but if you have watched the games you would have seen that nothing happens when they get in. They skate around the perimeter until eventually shooting from a really poor spot or getting their shot blocked resulting in turnover.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
It's not reluctance it's a style of play, they still get in the zone but if you have watched the games you would have seen that nothing happens when they get in. They skate around the perimeter until eventually shooting from a really poor spot or getting their shot blocked resulting in turnover.
semantics.. adhering to a style vs reluctance to change that style

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Remember your comments before the game against Finland?

Might as well re-visit this post.
Finland didn’t go out hard in that one, they were much better against Sweden. Were you not worried that Czech Republic outshot Canada ?

dedutchhockey

Dec 30, 2020
Easy win for Canada.

ultimately I think Russia is a one line team and would be difficult for them to come back if trailing.

Askarov will have to play the game of his life and hold Canada to 0-1 goals for a Russia to have a chance.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Finland didn’t go out hard in that one, they were much better against Sweden.

Right, so every time Canada wins convincingly, it's because the other team wasn't trying.

Were you not worried that Czech Reoublic outshot Canada ?

That's why you have a goalie.

Do I expect Canada to dominate play against every opponent for 60 minutes? No, I don't.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Easy win for Canada.

ultimately I think Russia is a one line team and would be difficult for them to come back if trailing.

Askarov will have to play the game of his life and hold Canada to 0-1 goals for a Russia to have a chance.
Do you realize Russia defeated USA without first line production?

Reactions: BlitzSnipe

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
If Russia is not willing to put the puck deep, win puck battles and pressure Canada's defense and relies on pure possession , pick them apart .. they will lose imo.. they have to match the tempo Canada throws at them and make their depth, scoring ability and skill be the difference

Beat them up in the alley and beat them up on the scoresheet.

Canadians getting ready for the game be like:

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Easy win for Canada.

Askarov already held Canada to 1 goal(actually 0, his backup let one goal in ), he’s fine

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Finland didn’t go out hard in that one, they were much better against Sweden. Were you not worried that Czech Republic outshot Canada ?
Canada was expecting a tough matchup with Finland and they came out of the gate accordingly. Against the Czechs they thought it would be easy and it almost bit them. They will have zero problem getting up for this one.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Canada was expecting a tough matchup with Finland and they came out of the gate accordingly. Against the Czechs they thought it would be easy and it almost bit them. They will have zero problem getting up for this one.

The Czechs matched up well against the Canadians.

They neuter emotional play and force their opponent to play their style. I knew it was going to be close before the puck was dropped.

I expect the Russians to play similarly so we'll see what happens.

Passionis

Dec 10, 2015
Do you realize Russia defeated USA without first line production?
You can clearly see which fans haven't watched a single russia period and are just writing outdated labels for them.

For those who have not seen their games, this Russian team definatly has its weaknesses but they are not even close to what you have been used to in the past. And I think Canadian coaches know that.

Passionis

Dec 10, 2015
The Czechs matched up well against the Canadians.

They neuter emotional play and force their opponent to play their style.

I expect the Russians to play similarly so we'll see what happens.
Russian style is complete opposite to the Czechs. It's puck possession domination

Kent Nilsson

Imagine cringing at Brock Nelson like a moron
Jan 31, 2016
I can see this going anywhere from losing to completely stomping Russia.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Russian style is complete opposite to the Czechs. It's puck possession domination

They play similarly in their own zone.

In any event, I think Canada matches up better against the Russians than the Czechs in terms of play-style, but the quality of the individual Russian players is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad