GDT: Semi-Final | Russia Vs Canada | 6PM | TSN/NHLN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Before the tournament, I thought Askarov was the one player who could steal a game from us in the knockout round. Now I think our goalie (Levi) is playing better than Askarov. I see us winning 5 or 6 to two, and Askarov gets pulled after goal number 4.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
In this tournament, Russia has shown an ability to play patient and disciplined hockey.

They are definitely Canada’s toughest opponent to date.

Canada will try a similar approach to the game against Finland in terms of four lines of pressure but they have to watch for those counter-attacks.

3-2 Canada.

Passionis

Dec 10, 2015
I think Canada is the favorite. Although possible for Russia to win, ultimately and unfortunately the Russian talent depth will be their limiting factor. If we had 2-3 players of higher calibre, specifically dangerous forwards I think Russia could take it confidently.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Big game obviously, best historical international rivalry in hockey.

Another chapter gets written today, hopefully we are victorious.

Get after them, especially the D man play his off side on the forecheck wave after wave attack. Need to be physical on pucks every single shift.

Go Canada Go!!

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Before the tournament, I thought Askarov was the one player who could steal a game from us in the knockout round. Now I think our goalie (Levi) is playing better than Askarov. I see us winning 5 or 6 to two, and Askarov gets pulled after goal number 4.
I think you're gonna find yourself surprised.

I have no problem eating crow - but Levi hasn't been tested at all. It's easy for a goalie to look good when the group he plays in only has 1 other good opponent.

Russia can pull an upset here: 4-2 Russia.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
If this was the rematch of last year's squads I would've been 99% sure our boys got this. We were the better team last year, just luck wasn't on our side. This year I honestly don't see us beating Canada. Good team, with character and admirable playing style but nowhere near enough fire power to get past this canadian squad. I hope for a good game and canadian goalie being leaky as usual against us. Let's f***in go, boys! Prove me wrong!

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Did you even watch the pre tournament game ? Zero chance Russia allows that many goals even to Canada

Reactions: NyQuil

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Did you even watch the pre tournament game ? Zero chance Russia allows that many goals even to Canada
Exhibition game, right? Russian kids were playing in their domestic league, and our guys were sitting. Our boys are into it now. Plus, I don’t think Askarov has looked comfortable. Maybe it’s the smaller ice? Something has him off though.

Reactions: Cheeks Klapanen

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
If Russia is not willing to put the puck deep, win puck battles and pressure Canada's defense and relies on pure possession , pick them apart .. they will lose imo.. they have to match the tempo Canada throws at them and make their depth, scoring ability and skill be the difference

Reactions: Ginger Papa

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Exhibition game, right? Russian kids were playing in their domestic league, and our guys were sitting. Our boys are into it now. Plus, I don’t think Askarov has looked comfortable. Maybe it’s the smaller ice? Something has him off though.
You seem to be intoxicated by beating down on depleted Germans and Swiss. Heck, Czech Republic outplayed Canada at times. It will be a close game and any team can win it.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Passionis

Dec 10, 2015
If Russia is not willing to put the puck deep, win puck battles and pressure Canada's defense and relies on pure possession , pick them apart .. they will lose imo.. they have to match the tempo Canada throws at them and make their depth, scoring ability and skill be the difference
Puck battling and putting it deep haz been the least of Russia's problems. It's about scoring ability and poise unfortunately where they struggled

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
From a Canadian perspective, the forecheck should be the key thing. It caused a lot of problems for Russia in the pre-tournament game and did even more against Finland for two periods. It was pretty anemic against Czech Republic though. I still think that Levi is a bit of a question mark against sustained pressure. I'm also hoping that Canada can connect on simple passes more consistently. I'll predict a Canada win but I wouldn't be al that surprised by any result.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Puck battling and putting it deep haz been the least of Russia's problems. It's about scoring ability and poise unfortunately where they struggled
I disagree .. they have a reluctance to give the puck up and put it deep.. They have the players that can win puck battles . There are some stats on this out there I've seen .. not sure where at this point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->