Apr 15, 2018
Canada has one undrafter player - Nico Dawes

upload_2020-1-3_12-40-58.png

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Why is Kupari in brackets?

This is pretty much what I expected. I remember the Swiss coach last year pointing out that Canada has no 4th rounders and the highest taken Swiss was 4th round (or something to that affect).

I can't seem to find just a simple list showing if they've been drafted and where but, from this list, it appears 6 Finns weren't even drafted in their draft year. Not sure what rounds the other Finn's were taken in though. I'm guessing some 4th, 5th and 6th rounders on there? I doubt Canada/US has one player that was passed over in the draft in his draft elibible year? I'm not even sure if they have 4th rounders on their squads?

View attachment 302023
Because Kupari is injured and not playing.

Akustiikka

Dec 16, 2018
Probably an evenly matched game, and the team with few puck bounces wins. I see no reason why the performance of the finns would drop from the USA game.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
There are several reasons why team Canada has so many high draft picks. North-American players tend to get drafted easily as most of the scouts see them more often and know them better than their European counterparts.

Also many of the players are reasonably drafted as they more likely have the potential to become NHL players while many Finns for example may not have that potential to become regular NHL players in 3-4 years but right now are good enough to play on the same level.

In addition draft status is not the perfect way to say who is better than the other one as many prospects peak later than others.

Having said this I do agree Canada has more talented team on paper, no argument.

member 305909

We are told that every year this tournament is one that Canadians actually care about and it is noted in the Canadian media unlike the men's worlds which nobody cares about in Canada and the players treat as a holiday in Europe.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Good luck to both teams, should be an awesome game. I have a ton of respect for the way Finland battles and continues to churn out highly skilled players despite the population gulf between them and other top hockey nations. That Sisu is no joke and hope our guys don't take them lightly.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
There are several reasons why team Canada has so many high draft picks. North-American players tend to get drafted easily as most of the scouts see them more often and know them better than their European counterparts.

Also many of the players are reasonably drafted as they more likely have the potential to become NHL players while many Finns for example may not have that potential to become regular NHL players in 3-4 years but right now are good enough to play on the same level.

In addition draft status is not the perfect way to say who is better than the other one as many prospects peak later than others.

Having said this I do agree Canada has more talented team on paper, no argument.
I hear you. I was just curious about my own argument. I wasn't surprised with the result.

I will say though. It's not the 90s anymore. Scouts are picking up Euro's like crazy and drafting those leagues heavily. I doubt many first round Euro's get missed anymore. I do think there is still a Russian factor which is strange to me. I don't think any GM fears picking Finn's. I'm more than happy if my Oil want to pick a few.lol

Obviously a team game and best team wins (luck also plays a factor too in close games - one bad call, a goalie blunder, an own goal, a crossbar up vs crossbar down).

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
We are told that every year this tournament is one that Canadians actually care about and it is noted in the Canadian media unlike the men's worlds which nobody cares about in Canada and the players treat as a holiday in Europe.

The spring IIHF WHC routinely gets more viewership numbers than the Stanley Cup Finals in recent years.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Why is Kupari in brackets?

This is pretty much what I expected. I remember the Swiss coach last year pointing out that Canada has no 4th rounders and the highest taken Swiss was 4th round (or something to that affect).

I can't seem to find just a simple list showing if they've been drafted and where but, from this list, it appears 6 Finns weren't even drafted in their draft year. Not sure what rounds the other Finn's were taken in though. I'm guessing some 4th, 5th and 6th rounders on there? I doubt Canada/US has one player that was passed over in the draft in his draft elibible year? I'm not even sure if they have 4th rounders on their squads?

View attachment 302023

Finland is never going to have better team on paper in terms of drafted players.

They are still 3-0 in their last 3 elimination games against Canada though.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

There is no question that the Canadian players at the WJC care very much. I imagine that all of the players do. They also know that WJC failure, unlike world championship failure, has the potential to get them ripped at home.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Canada is getting Halak'd big time. Annunen with a performance of the tournament and Finns with the win 3-1.

Finland really should't play Annunen against Canada, unlike USA they have scouted him. It was apparent at the exhibition game before the tournament.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I thought the USA had the better team on paper, and they got shut out against Finland. In one game showdowns like this,
paper does not mean a thing. It will be a very even contest. May the best team win- which i hope is Canada.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Tournament history between Finland and Canada in U20 WJC elimination games is Finland's side.
In 6 yrs ( 2014-2020) time this is 4th time when Finland and Canada
faces each-others in U20 WJC elimination games and as we know Canada is down 3-0.
But that won't matter tomorrow.

This will be very close and tie game and overtime and shootout contest wouldn't be surprise.
That teams who wants it more goes to gold medal game.

No final score predictions from me.
Finland has exceeded all expectations already so everything what we achieve now is only a plus.

Reactions: Czechboy

Brun0

Jul 24, 2009
yeah, finland has won the last 3 elimination games vs canada. 2014, 2016, 2019

AllIDoIsLie

Dec 21, 2019
Finland in 1.

Edit: Oh right, score? Tight game. 2-1 Finland. Additional prediction? Canade will walk out with their pride intact unlike some other teams we have seen.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
I don't believe in us winning this. But on the other hand, I didn't believe they would win USA either, so when the puck drops, everything is open.

The team has already exceeded my expectations, so I'm just hoping for them to play well. If we win, that's great, but I can live with a honorable loss if it is deserved.

I still reserve myself the right to be salty if it ends up being a close game that gets decided by questionable officiating, though. :laugh:

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I think Annunen best game > Canadian goalies best game

Räty brothers with Ranta have all the game braking talent / speed to win you games.
The real Thomson is still MIA, he has tons room to improve, same goes for Heinola, still waiting both to wake up
Maccelli,Puistola,Tanus are our big guns who need to shine again like vs USA.

DeeQ

Apr 1, 2017
I know we have the history of rivalries with Sweden and Russia, but in recent years I've been most excited when we play against Canada! It's just good hockey.

Reactions: Dominance and buud

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad