GDT: Semi Final: Canada Vs Finland | 1PM EST 7PM CET | CAN 5 - 0 FIN

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I do think, for the sake of entertainment, that a drinking game should be in order for this GDT:

Every Veleno headbutt mention - shot
Every Hayton anthem mention - shot
Every 'Bratislava' mention - shot
Every 'pesky' mention about Finns - shot
Every 'dirty' mention about Canada (with video footage from 72) - shot

Good luck getting out of the first sober!

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Lafreniere is better...and is actually being utilized like a star player and not a 3rd liner.
True, they are very good at taking star players out of the game though. That is why I hope we can make them pay on the other lines, wish we were getting something from players like Lavoie.

We will see.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I do think, for the sake of entertainment, that a drinking game should be in order for this GDT:

Every Veleno headbutt mention - shot
Every Hayton anthem mention - shot
Every 'Bratislava' mention - shot
Every 'pesky' mention about Finns - shot
Every 'dirty' mention about Canada (with video footage from 72) - shot

Good luck getting out of the first sober!
Everyone will be drunk halfway through the first.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I've learned to bet on the Swedes through round robin and then flip to Finland. No reason to change that now. Canada's needs to stay on their game and not let the Finns control the pace of the game like they did against the US.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I think if Canada can clean up their defense with the silly turnovers we will be allright.

And then there is the goaltending, cmon Hofer.......give us quality goaltending tomorrow.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
2014: Finland won QF in the third period. Finland captain (Ristolainen) had been crap. The team as a whole was weak in material and we trust only our great goalie (Saros).
Finland's captain in 2014 was Teräväinen, not Ristolainen, and TT had been great all tournament long.

Reactions: Lambo

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Different style but a star player is a star player, they know how best to play them.

I think the physical element to Lafreniere’s game will give the Finns difficulties.

In any event, if we’re going to win it’ll be because our depth players commit and beat the Finnish depth players in their 1 on 1 matchups.

If come out hard and play the Canadian Way while staying out of the box, then I think this team is more than capable of beating the Finns again.

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
Canada should win but then again the U.S. was also supposed to win against a less talented Fin squad. Canada has to score first as the Finns play an excellent structured game that has proven it can shut down a high powered offense. If the Finns score the first two then it will be all over for Canada.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Canada should win but then again the U.S. was also supposed to win against a less talented Fin squad. Canada has to score first as the Finns play an excellent structured game that has proven it can shut down a high powered offense. If the Finns score the first two then it will be all over for Canada.
I am not sure I buy this more talented mantra that keeps getting repeated, I don't think the U.S or Canada is all that more talented.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Everyone will be drunk halfway through the first.
So you're saying I should also add:

Canada won 5 in a row - shot
That 2005 team - shot
Any mention of Jesse P being a 'bust' - shot
Any Wahlstrom mention - 2 shots (the man is a legend in my eyes as he managed to piss off everybody in the tournament.lol He's not in the game but I can see his name coming up somehow)

This board might be passed out before the puck drop.lol

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

That 2005 team - shot
Any Wahlstrom mention - 2 shots (the man is a legend in my eyes as he managed to piss off everybody in the tournament.lol He's not in the game but I can see his name coming up somehow)

All I can say is tomorrow morning wouldn't be pleasant for a lot of people. :)

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I am not sure I buy this more talented mantra that keeps getting repeated, I don't think the U.S or Canada is all that more talented.
I haven't looked but don't both teams have more first rounders than anyone else?

It's like golf... add up all the numbers of the picks. Lowest total wins. Not many 3rd rounders on either US/Canada to my knowledge. Undrafted overagers get a score of 200. Top 10 consensus picks (Laf, Askaraov) get a score of 10.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I haven't looked but don't both teams have more first rounders than anyone else?

It's like golf... add up all the numbers of the picks. Lowest total wins. Not many 3rd rounders on either US/Canada to my knowledge. Undrafted overagers get a score of 200. Top 10 consensus picks (Laf, Askaraov) get a score of 10.
To me it's now become just a standard go to without any true analysis quip.

I've had a good look at both these teams and other then Lafreniere I don't see anyone that stands out as being measurably better then the others in terms of talent. Canada may have better finishers but that is offset by strengths the Finnish team has. The Finnish team is for sure talented, they skate and move the puck as well as Canada IMO.

I haven't checked on the first rounders thing you mentioned, I should look that up when I get back home.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

That 2005 team - shot

Are you trying to induce mass liver failure?

Buttermilk

Dec 11, 2018
Finland's captain in 2014 was Teräväinen, not Ristolainen, and TT had been great all tournament long.
Oh how I remember that wrong.

But still I wait Thomson so much bigger effort. Just like I wait that for Ristolainen in 2014 before finals.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Finnish first rounders on this team:
Thomson
Heinola
(Kupari)

Future:
Aatu Räty

Canadian first rouders:
Liam Foudy
Dylan Cozens
Ty Dellandrea
Nolan Foote
Barrett Hayton
Connor McMichael
Joe Veleno
Jacob Bernard-Docker
Bowem Byram
Ty Smith

Future:
Quinton Byfield
Alexis Lafreniere
Jamie Drysdale

Canada's roster >>>>>> Finnish's roster. Thank god the names doesn't decide who will win.

Last edited:
Reactions: jj cale

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
It will be a 1 goal game. Probably Finland winning but who ever wins here loses to Russia or Sweden in the final due to that 4 hours of more rest. I think these 4 teams are that close this year that the 4 hours make a difference in the final that shows in the 3rd period of the final.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Finnish first rounders on this team:
Thomson
Heinola
(Kupari)

Future:
Aatu Räty

Camadian first rouders:
Liam Foudy
Dylan Cozens
Ty Dellandrea
Nolan Foote
Barrett Hayton
Connor McMichael
Joe Veleno
Jacob Bernard-Docker
Bowem Byram
Ty Smith

Future:
Quinton Byfield
Alexis Lafreniere
Jamie Drysdale

Canada's roster >>>>>> Finnish's roster. Thank god the names doesn't decide who will win.
Why is Kupari in brackets?

This is pretty much what I expected. I remember the Swiss coach last year pointing out that Canada has no 4th rounders and the highest taken Swiss was 4th round (or something to that affect).

I can't seem to find just a simple list showing if they've been drafted and where but, from this list, it appears 6 Finns weren't even drafted in their draft year. Not sure what rounds the other Finn's were taken in though. I'm guessing some 4th, 5th and 6th rounders on there? I doubt Canada/US has one player that was passed over in the draft in his draft elibible year? I'm not even sure if they have 4th rounders on their squads?

upload_2020-1-3_12-36-26.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad