Speculation: Selling High on Cam Talbot

RangersHank*

Yup but I did not know HF board stands for Hank Fan Board.

Do you like his suits more or his recent glove work?

Just curious.

All you do is complain about Hank, its clear you have some kine of agenda.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
All you do is complain about Hank, its clear you have some kine of agenda.

His mom probably has a ladyboner for Lundqvist.

Seriously though, if we got rid of either Talbot or Lundqvist, we're just an injury away from having the worst goaltending situation in the league. We don't have any goalies in the organization that are even AHL material, let alone NHL ready. Why do people think Hartford sucks so badly?

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Talbot is still valued as an ahl goalie by any sane gm...

Let's try Edmonton!

No.

An 8-2 goalie is taken seriously. Maybe not as a star, but as a legit guy. If Miller had two hst tricks in 3 games, would he be seen as a real piece? Come on... if he was 20-2, that'd definitely up the ante... as would 90-30 even more so... but he has shown enough to command something.

benneyb

May 9, 2009
If the Rangers were smart, they would sign Cam now to an extension - 2 yrs, $1.25mm per, the same I believe Biron was making. By the end of that contract, we should all know what we have in Cam. If Hank has bounced back, the most likely scenario, trade Cam for the best return, which should be significant, assuming 2 years of high level performance as the backup.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
If the Rangers were smart, they would sign Cam now to an extension - 2 yrs, $1.25mm per, the same I believe Biron was making. By the end of that contract, we should all know what we have in Cam. If Hank has bounced back, the most likely scenario, trade Cam for the best return, which should be significant, assuming 2 years of high level performance as the backup.

Can they even extend him now with another year still left on his current deal? Not sure what the CBA says about that.

benneyb

May 9, 2009
Can they even extend him now with another year still left on his current deal? Not sure what the CBA says about that.

Ah, good catch. I was thinking Cam was a RFA at year's end. Glad to see he's got another season at a bargain rate - takes the pressure off!

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
You'd probably get a 3rd for him. If he continues, then maybe a deal similar to what Ott got for Bishop at the deadline last year from TB (4th round pick, plus Cory Conacher). Good roster player + mid round pick.

I don't see any reason to move him though. We have no one behind him. Injuries do happen. The Olympics are this year as well which likely means that Henrik will need more rest down the stretch. If he's as good as he's looked then hold onto him - his value will only increase, and let's say he gets another 15 stars this year. He'll likely mean more point wise in those 15 games than any player we'd get in return today.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Yup but I did not know HF board stands for Hank Fan Board.

Do you like his suits more or his recent glove work?

Just curious.

Know what's funny, people who share your views might not consider the goals that were scored and who would do any better? Name ONE goalie that would do a better job with the lax team with a high (deserved) payroll with a performance rating of very poor.

27th in goals for, and 15th in goals against. Defense isn't just the two guys labelled defense.

Of course Hank is going to make himself look accountable, is he really going to hit the press with "I have no help"? Come on!!

To hell with the numbers, if anyone considered the saves BOTH goalies have had to make to keep them in the game (which BOTH goalies have, even during losses), you'd realize the goaltending is and has been the very least of our problems. I think it's seriously inconsiderate of certain folks to notice the trend.

I watched the goals the NBC group were trashing Hank for, I saw open season to the net.

Anyone that can make a million bucks playing a game should be able to put it past even the best goalie in the world if he's not pressured.

Then again, I guess all this depends on whoever's definition of a 'soft goal'.

Last edited:

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Know what's funny, people who share your views might not consider the goals that were scored and who would do any better? Name ONE goalie that would do a better job with the lax team with a high (deserved) payroll with a performance rating of very poor.

27th in goals for, and 15th in goals against. Defense isn't just the two guys labelled defense.

Of course Hank is going to make himself look accountable, is he really going to hit the press with "I have no help"? Come on!!

To hell with the numbers, if anyone considered the saves BOTH goalies have had to make to keep them in the game (which BOTH goalies have, even during losses), you'd realize the goaltending is and has been the very least of our problems. I think it's seriously inconsiderate of certain folks to notice the trend.

I watched the goals the NBC group were trashing Hank for, I saw open season to the net.

Anyone that can make a million bucks playing a game should be able to put it past even the best goalie in the world if he's not pressured.

Then again, I guess all this depends on whoever's definition of a 'soft goal'.

The 3rd goal by the Isles was a soft goal. Those are the kinds of saves he needs to make, particularly when the Hank we know would have typically made the save on either the 1st or 2nd goals in years past.

Ilovemymum

recreational MD
Feb 17, 2010
How much of Hank's downturn can be attributed to his new pads? I mean, he has been synonomous with consictency all through his career, and suddenly something that appears to be a pretty significant change of equipment is occuring at the same time of his biggest career slump. Anyone now the size before and after?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=682166

It appears to be big individual differences depending on style and previous pad measures, but Hank and Biron have had a rough time this year.

"I only wore them once and it was definitely shorter for the five-hole but I was feeling OK about it," Rangers backup Martin Biron told NHL.com late Tuesday. "Now talk to me in four weeks after the pads break down and maybe I'll change my tune."

We know how that tune went.

I don't know. Hank is the King and all, and it might be a coincident, but trading Talbot at this point before Hank figures this out is pretty bold. Hope they don't.

Ilovemymum

recreational MD
Feb 17, 2010
http://www.hlundqvist30.com/2013/henrik-adjusts-rule-changes/

How does this effect Henrik Lundqvist, as he comes off of a season where he posted a .934 save percentage and once again was a nominee for the Vezina Trophy? “I’m trying to get used to it,” he said. “It’s definitely a big difference.”

The new rule, along with a net that is shallower by 4 inches, is all done for the sake of scoring. With goalies like Henrik adjusting, that could be the end result. He added that he worked a lot during the offseason with the new pads and that while he feels quicker, “I feel like I’m covering less area,” he added.

Not sure, but signing that deal before he figures this out appears risky?

RangersHank*

http://www.hlundqvist30.com/2013/henrik-adjusts-rule-changes/

How does this effect Henrik Lundqvist, as he comes off of a season where he posted a .934 save percentage and once again was a nominee for the Vezina Trophy? “I’m trying to get used to it,†he said. “It’s definitely a big difference.â€

The new rule, along with a net that is shallower by 4 inches, is all done for the sake of scoring. With goalies like Henrik adjusting, that could be the end result. He added that he worked a lot during the offseason with the new pads and that while he feels quicker, “I feel like I’m covering less area,†he added.

Not sure, but signing that deal before he figures this out appears risky?

Stepan isnt a goalie so what does he know about that? If that is a problem, Hank will fix it. Signing him wasnt risky, best player on the team and we locked him up, whats risky? Hank didnt lose his talent over night, dont jump off the cliff yet

Ilovemymum

recreational MD
Feb 17, 2010
Stepan isnt a goalie so what does he know about that? If that is a problem, Hank will fix it. Signing him wasnt risky, best player on the team and we locked him up, whats risky? Hank didnt lose his talent over night, dont jump off the cliff yet

No intention of jumping off any cliffs, but with the new pads he has not been our best. Any objective viewpoints would do, rather than "he will fix it". He's a king, not God.
I'm not a goalie expert either, but if it's attributed to the new pads, I would say there's some risk if it means he has to change his style significantly.

RangersHank*

No intention of jumping off any cliffs, but with the new pads he has not been our best. Any objective viewpoints would do, rather than "he will fix it". He's a king, not God.
I'm not a goalie expert either, but if it's attributed to the new pads, I would say there's some risk if it means he has to change his style significantly.

What risk?

McD27

Jul 11, 2013
http://nypost.com/2013/12/24/rangers-on-verge-of-a-full-blown-goalie-controversy/

Fair or not. Real or not. It's out there.

It's up to Hank to turn his game around. To show the doubters the pads have nothing to do with it. The contract has nothing to do with it. 30 games don't erase what he's done for the past 8 seasons. But we can't live in the past. He was paid handsomely for those years and rewarded with a generous extension. There are no more excuses. This is a results business. The team has to play the guy who wins. No different than when he took the starting job from Kevin weeks 8 years ago. Obviously, given what he has done and the rich contract, the leash is much much longer. Should it be 40 games? 50 games? I dunno. Every game is so important for the playoffs.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
No.

An 8-2 goalie is taken seriously. Maybe not as a star, but as a legit guy. If Miller had two hst tricks in 3 games, would he be seen as a real piece? Come on... if he was 20-2, that'd definitely up the ante... as would 90-30 even more so... but he has shown enough to command something.

That's not true. A high valued prospect i.e. Gibson has a lot more value. FFS, it's 10 games people; Talbot doesn't have any value, except to us. "Maybe not as a star", yeah, no ****.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
And why would Edmonton do this?

They wouldn't, but eventually they are going to overpay someone for a goalie. Teams are obviously asking for Yakupov hoping that they will eventually give in, but I would rather just roll the dice with their 2014-15 season. I don't think they are anywhere close to being good, so if the choice was Yakupov or their 2015 first round pick, I'd take their pick.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
They wouldn't, but eventually they are going to overpay someone for a goalie. Teams are obviously asking for Yakupov hoping that they will eventually give in, but I would rather just roll the dice with their 2014-15 season. I don't think they are anywhere close to being good, so if the choice was Yakupov or their 2015 first round pick, I'd take their pick.

Neither is an option. They aren't trading that pick unless - maybe - it's in a deal for a young first pairing defenseman. They also aren't moving Yakupov unless it's a significant offer. These offers aren't even close to realistic.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
If the Rangers were smart, they would sign Cam now to an extension - 2 yrs, $1.25mm per the same I believe Biron was making. By the end of that contract, we should all know what we have in Cam. If Hank has bounced back, the most likely scenario, trade Cam for the best return, which should be significant, assuming 2 years of high level performance as the backup.

And Cam was an idiot

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
And Cam was an idiot

There was no interest in Talbot before this season--he'd only been the starter for one year in Hartford and while he certainly was improving, there was no one else knocking at the door for him.

There is no guarantee that this nice run will continue, but if it does and he continues to impress, he'll be a millionaire several times over before he's 30 years old. How many people can say that? Much less an undrafted kid who played his college career at that hockey hotspot of University of Alabama at Huntsville (and never had a winning record)?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad