Sell me on the Buffalo Sabres

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Patience.
So many fail to understand, the rebuild isn't over. You simply don't tear a roster to shreds then build through the draft in 3 years.
Patience is needed here. Botterill is no dummy. He is well aware of the current circumstances and I'm sure has a longer term strategic plan.
Rochester is doing good, player development is the key, and Botterill and Sexton appear to be doing it right.

Don't expect major trades outside of Kane and maybe Lehner by the deadline. Both of which will fetch some nice offers.

Part of the Sabres future is currently developing in the pipeline.

Patience

Reactions: dasaybz

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
PP last year: 1st
PP this year: last
Personnel: The exact same

Didn't believe our coaching could suck more than it did last year, but here I stand corrected

You know, every time a fan base is just vehemently brutal towards their head coach and begs for him to be fired, there are almost always more issues than just the coach, who becomes an unfair scapegoat.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Overrating players like Reinhart, Eichel, Ristolainen and Lehner has led to inflated expectations. If you lower your expectations and realize that this team is still missing 3 to 4 core pieces, you will be somewhat more optimistic about the team. Tank mode continues.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
See my last post...

Right. I'm not specifically targeting you with my post, but I'm saying in general that when a fan base just ruthlessly attacks their coach, and is insistent that their coach is the root of their problems, it almost never seems to be the case.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Gonna take some time to clean up Tim Murray's mess but it will happen imo. Botteril is too smart and savvy to not turn it around. Look at NJ now, took Shero 3 years but they are awesome to watch now and have a bright future. Bring up Shero as he is the guy that mostly molded Botteril into what he is(along with some Rutherford).

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
Maybe Housley isn't the guy to wipe away the Bylsma stink, much like Johnston in Pittsburgh, but it's more of a Tim Murray thing. That defense is putrid.

Derg12

Mar 12, 2014
I'm starting to think the Pegula's are more toxic than most realize. Both of their franchises have and/or are a mess.

The Bills rolled over and shit themselves January 8th, 2000.

The Sabres officially died July 1st, 2007.

The Pegulas came in when both franchises were already dead and buried.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I don't think anybody is selling anybody on the Sabres right now. They've got an awful combo of that stench of tanking lazy/quitters mentality pervasive throughout the organization, combined with a frankly pretty crazy amount of cap space burnt on mediocre or worse players. There's nothing left there to spend on quality depth, and until the organization starts to actually show some signs of moving in the right direction...nobody really worth spending on is going to want to go there for anything other than the biggest paycheque available (which just attracts more of that mercenary loser mentality).

There are a few good pieces, but it's really not enough. Seems like they fell into the classic HFboards trap of believing that you can just "tank a few years, collect your superstars and onward to the Cup!" That's not how that works.

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017
They're suffering because they never won the lottery (McDavid+Ekblad vs Eichel+Reinhart), and Eichel+Reinhart have failed to take the next step while Girgensons regressed. Add a terrible defence, and you have the Buffalo Sabres.
That's the negative.

On the positive side, they are still solid up the middle with O'Reilly and Eichel, they have a good goalie, 3 top-4 defencemen and Nylander+Mittlestadt still in the wings. They might only need a little stability. The team has had many new players over the past few years, and new coaches too. The important pieces are mostly there, it's the supporting crew that's lacking, and that's not so hard to fix.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
It's on GMTM.

Bad contracts, Bogosian, Moulson, Okposo.

Lack of NHL ready prospects.

As mentioned earlier, it's going to take 2 - 3 years to clean this up if done properly.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I'm starting to think the Pegula's are more toxic than most realize. Both of their franchises have and/or are a mess.

They need to realize they need a Team "Guru" who can advise them in both areas, one for each team. Making Russ Brandon Sabres President is counterproductive. He can sell tickets, but he is the one constant in the Bills 17 year playoff drought. He is clueless about on ice or field talent. Combine that with Terry Pegula, and Kim Pegula, and there isn't a clue between them.

But The Pegula's are well intended people, and hopefully they get the right person or people in place soon. Very soon....

Reactions: Critical

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Jack Eichel needs to fire the coach, and hire someone new. I know he doesn't have a big payroll, and I don't actually blame the coach, but the PR is ugly right now. Jack needs to step in, maybe even spend a few games behind the bench himself.

Reactions: X66

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Eichel is certainly a talent; but not in the class of McDavid or Matthews. And as such, he can't carry the team. Well certainly not as constructed currently.

It is to his great detriment that he has been promoted (through marketing need) as a Messiah, when he's not. His contract is a reflection of his perceived value more than his on ice value.

Remember, most Sabres fans aren't able to see through this the way most of the people on this site are, because they're more casual fans. More casual fans with more money that is....:nod:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Eichel is certainly a talent; but not in the class of McDavid or Matthews. And as such, he can't carry the team. Well certainly not as constructed currently.

It is to his great detriment that he has been promoted (through marketing need) as a Messiah, when he's not. His contract is a reflection of his perceived value more than his on ice value.

Remember, most Sabres fans aren't able to see through this the way most of the people on this site are, because they're more casual fans. More casual fans with more money that is....:nod:
To be honest, no one man can carry a team. Look at the Oilers right now. Its absurd to ask a 21-year-old to carry your team. Matthews does a lot of heavy lifting for the Leafs, but we have solid depth in our middle 6 (it is really more of just an outright top 9).

Eichel has clear flaws, and I'd put him behind McDavid and Matthews, and possibly Barkov of the young centers in the league. He really needs to live up to his 10 million dollar deal by constantly competing and fighting for pucks, his skill is never in question. The team is feeling the effects of multiple things. Tim Murray's thinking he could go from tear down to competing immediately after getting Eichel, and it seems certain young players were gifted minutes with limited accountability. While playing them those minutes may have been the best route to winning, it was a short-term solution and didn't help long-term. Eichel should have been benched for certain things early on, and it is doubtful he'll take the message the same way now that he put up the numbers which got him the money.Playing Risto 25 minutes plus a game under two coaches is absolute insanity. He's not ready to be that defencemen yet, and doing so probably hurts his development and confidence long-term.

While I don't think Housley is a good coach and even average, he can't be the first fall guy here. The team needs to make a shake-up to send a message to the core, the problem is, every GM is throwing Botteril bricks instead of a life preserver. The other thing is, who can they trade which really sends a message? It can't be Eichel because he's one of the guys you are sending a message to. That basically leaves ROR, Reinhart, and Risto. Can't really trade Risto as your defense is already a mess. ROR might be one of the few vets providing leadership. In the end, it has to be one of ROR or Reinhart likely to go to send a message. You could try Okposo, but I don't really see a strong enough market for him.

Reactions: AppsSyl

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
To be honest, no one man can carry a team. Look at the Oilers right now. Its absurd to ask a 21-year-old to carry your team. Matthews does a lot of heavy lifting for the Leafs, but we have solid depth in our middle 6 (it is really more of just an outright top 9).

Eichel has clear flaws, and I'd put him behind McDavid and Matthews, and possibly Barkov of the young centers in the league. He really needs to live up to his 10 million dollar deal by constantly competing and fighting for pucks, his skill is never in question. The team is feeling the effects of multiple things. Tim Murray's thinking he could go from tear down to competing immediately after getting Eichel, and it seems certain young players were gifted minutes with limited accountability. While playing them those minutes may have been the best route to winning, it was a short-term solution and didn't help long-term. Eichel should have been benched for certain things early on, and it is doubtful he'll take the message the same way now that he put up the numbers which got him the money.Playing Risto 25 minutes plus a game under two coaches is absolute insanity. He's not ready to be that defencemen yet, and doing so probably hurts his development and confidence long-term.

While I don't think Housley is a good coach and even average, he can't be the first fall guy here. The team needs to make a shake-up to send a message to the core, the problem is, every GM is throwing Botteril bricks instead of a life preserver. The other thing is, who can they trade which really sends a message? It can't be Eichel because he's one of the guys you are sending a message to. That basically leaves ROR, Reinhart, and Risto. Can't really trade Risto as your defense is already a mess. ROR might be one of the few vets providing leadership. In the end, it has to be one of ROR or Reinhart likely to go to send a message. You could try Okposo, but I don't really see a strong enough market for him.

We're really not disagreeing here. If not for McDavid, Edmonton may well be on par, points wise with Buffalo and Arizona.

Despite playing well in his absence, Toronto would not be a threat without Matthews.

Eichel has yet to elevate his team.

None of them are Mario Lemieux.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Team needs motivated leaders to turn it around. Columbus adding pieces like dubinsky and foligno for example. Secondary pieces on big contracts who provide something even when they aren' scoring. Buffalo has moulson, gorges, okposo etc...

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Patience.
So many fail to understand, the rebuild isn't over. You simply don't tear a roster to shreds then build through the draft in 3 years.
Patience is needed here. Botterill is no dummy. He is well aware of the current circumstances and I'm sure has a longer term strategic plan.
Rochester is doing good, player development is the key, and Botterill and Sexton appear to be doing it right.

Don't expect major trades outside of Kane and maybe Lehner by the deadline. Both of which will fetch some nice offers.

Part of the Sabres future is currently developing in the pipeline.

Patience

Rochester is doing well, and they have some good forward prospects (Nylander, Mittelstadt), but most of the guys on defence for them that has led to the team’s success are 27 or older. That doesn’t bode well for a team who’s biggest area of weakness is its defence. Guhle looks to be developing well though so that’s good, but it’ll take more than one 20 year old fix that defence. He’s also really the only D prospect of note in the organization currently.

Getting Dahlin would help, but that’s gonna take quite a bit of luck. If the Sabres are fortunate enough to land him, they’d still be in a difficult spot, and if they don’t land him, it’ll take one of the numerous others defence prospects a few years before they’re able to help.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
No, we suck. We all know it. Murray gutted this team to the ground by trading away futures/young prospects/picks for Kane, Bogo, and ROR. ROR has already lost a step, Bogo is always injured, Kane is the best player on the Sabres team, but is a pending FA. We have lazy Eichel and overrated Reinhart who can't drive offense on his own. It's a sad state of affairs. Murray really messed up our defenseman depth. Without the trades he did our defense would like this.

Risto-Scandella
Myers-Pysyk
Zadorov-McCabe
Antipin

Instead right now we have:

Scandella/Risto(Injured)
Bogo (injured) McCabe
Falk-Antipin
Beauleiu

That right there is a solid NHL level defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad