Sell me on the Buffalo Sabres

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I don't see them being stanley cup contenders at any point unless they somehow snag another franchise player in the draft. If they took Draisaitl over Reinhart, I might feel differently as Draisaitl is someone you can build around while Reinhart is a decent, albeit "complementary" player. The Draisaitl effect is synergistic as it would not only improve Buffalo but make a fellow contender EDM over in the west, weaker.

Who knows what Eichel will be too. Right now his PPG over 82 games is 65 points which is underwhelming for the player he was hyped to be and probably 15-20 points too low.

Risto's showed some promise but looks like he took a step back and I'm not sure he will ever be than franchise guy on the backend most cup teams have. And the depth behind him on the blueline is meh.

Am I seeing it wrong?

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I'm sure the Buffalo Sabres want to be sold on the Buffalo Sabres.

jack-eichel-1.jpg

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I don't see them being stanley cup contenders at any point unless they somehow snag another franchise player in the draft. If they took Draisaitl over Reinhart, I might feel differently as Draisaitl is someone you can build around while Reinhart is a decent, albeit "complementary" player. The Draisaitl effect is synergistic as it would not only improve Buffalo but make a fellow contender EDM over in the west, weaker.

Who knows what Eichel will be too. Right now his PPG over 82 games is 65 points which is underwhelming for the player he was hyped to be and probably 15-20 points too low.

Risto's showed some promise but looks like he took a step back and I'm not sure he will ever be than franchise guy on the backend most cup teams have. And the depth behind him on the blueline is meh.

Am I seeing it wrong?

I'm not sure what buffalo is missing. they have a fair bit of talent there. some of its overrated though (ristolainen for one).

I highly doubt draisaitl would make a difference though. hes playing the role of complementary player right now. still is not running his own line.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
PP last year: 1st
PP this year: last
Personnel: The exact same

Didn't believe our coaching could suck more than it did last year, but here I stand corrected

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
They got a little trigger happy in trying to swiftly climb out of the rebuild. They were looking really good a couple of years ago (in terms of team trajectory, not in terms of the actual team), and then traded the farm for ROR, Lehner, Scandella, Kane/Bogosian, etc.

Not to say those trades were all bad-value trades or anything, but they had the effect of eating up a bunch of their cap-space, eating into their depth, and helping Buffalo finish higher in the standings the last few years (but not actually contend) and thus get a worse pick.

I think those aggressive trades were just a year or so too early. They should have just added some short-term band-aids, sold another guy or two off to boost the farm, and let the team start to at least moderately compete internally, before making those big splash moves to put the team "over the top".

Tapu Coco

Jan 23, 2013
WNY
Sabres fans won't even be able to do that for you. We've got nothing.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
They might get Dahlin and Jack Hughes. But more likely pick 4th in both drafts getting a good but not uber-elite player.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
The hockey Gods were not happy with Tim Murray putting maybe the worst team (besides expansion teams) on ice. Karma strikes again. I think Enroth was traded for "playing to well".

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
It's a nightmare. One of the most disappointing seasons one could imagine.

But Botterill is legit and we do have some nice prospects coming. The Amerks look solid for the first time in a long time. This sucks but you just gotta stick with it.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
They thought Eichel was a franchise player when he's not at all

I'd say the jury's still out on that one. Guys like Tavares and Seguin didn't become PPG players until age 22 season.

He's got this season and the next to prove he is

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad