Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (FromSoftware)

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Compared to Dark Souls games this is sooooo hard.

What a silly thought by the reviewers.. I've watched so many bad players destroy DS games after the beginning because they allow cheesing with stats. I think a lot of people will give up on Sekiro before learning it properly.

I’m reaching that point. And I say this as someone who platinumed DS3 and no-deathed both DLCs.

The combat is extremely uncomfortable for any veteran Souls player. In many ways, I feel like players brand new to FromSoft games will have an easier time than old Soulsborne players.

I’m slowly, slowly getting better, mostly because I’m refusing to cheese mini-bosses. But it’s a goddamn hard game.

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
I had a pretty difficult time beating the chained ogre. I finally learned to dodge, attack, and then grapple to higher ground. Wash, rinse, repeat. If that’s a mini boss, I’m in extreme danger going forward

Common Sense

Dec 29, 2010
If you're stuck on something the solution is probably to stand there and tap L1. Coming from Bloodborne it took a lot of adjustment but the dodge in this game is pretty much useless.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Some of these bosses/mini-bosses so far just seem..unfair. Or maybe I'm just overzealous and stubborn about giving up. Tried to do Headless after a couple prayer bead/memory level ups and got destroyed because of terror. Same with Shichimen Warrior. How are you expected to tackle those guys at the points they are placed in the game? Are you not expected to? I didn't watch any videos on Headless, but the one I watched a bit of for Shichimen, the text at the beginning of the video just says something to the effect of "This fight is much better saved for the end of the game".

I will say, it does make me very proud of myself when I'm finally able to nail down patterns and dodge/parry accordingly.

Also something VERY useful I learned while fighting Snake Eyes Shirahagi: To seriously start inflicting posture "damage" you have to weave in attacks with your parries. Parry, attack attack, parry, attack attack, etc. They went from recovering posture very quickly to having it stagnate/increase after I started doing that.

This game seriously rewards calculated relentlessness.

Last edited:

Common Sense

Dec 29, 2010
Some of these bosses/mini-bosses so far just seem..unfair. Or maybe I'm just overzealous and stubborn about giving up. Tried to do Headless after a couple prayer bead/memory level ups and got destroyed because of terror. Same with Shichimen Warrior. How are you expected to tackle those guys at the points they are placed in the game? Are you not expected to? I didn't watch any videos on Headless, but the one that I did watch a little bit of, the text at the beginning of the video just says something to the effect of "This fight is much better saved for the end of the game".

I will say, it does make me very proud of myself when I'm finally able to nail down patterns and dodge/parry accordingly.

Also something VERY useful I learned while fighting Snake Eyes Shriahagi: To seriously start inflicting posture "damage" you have to weave in attacks with your parries. Parry, attack attack, parry, attack attack, etc. They went from recovering posture very quickly to having it stagnate/increase after I started doing that.

This game seriously rewards calculated relentlessness.
There's a consumable that actually allows you to do decent damage to apparition type enemies like Headless, if you didn't know.

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
Had a hard time with Enshin the Shinobi Hunter, I couldn’t for the life of me time up a Mikori counter strike until I paused and saw I didn’t have the skill equipped. Once I figured that out I owned him easily. Killed the drunkard in one try using the helpful npc, and then ran into Lady Butterfly. She owned my ass probably 15 times at least until I figured out you can’t give her a break, attack attack, dodge, attack, attack. Had an easier time with her than with Gyoubu! My heart is still racing though

Mar 22, 2010
Mother Base
I beat Butterfly yesterday. Just didn't give her time to recover and I got the first deathblow halfway through her first healthbar. I f***ed up twice in her second face, in the end I was down to one hit and so was she.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
5-6 hours of attempts on the Corrupted Monk and I'm about ready to throw anything in the f***ing garbage just to feel better.

Last edited:
Reactions: CPTN71

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
My brother bought this on steam, I've watched him a few times and I think I'll pass. Doesn't seem enjoyable to me, even though I loved Bloodborne. It doesn't help how my brothers save file about 3/4 of the way through the game got corrupted and he couldn't get it back. I told him if that happened I would've deleted the game, and requested a refund.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
5-6 hours of attempts on the Corrupted Monk and I'm about ready to throw anything in the ****ing garbage just to feel better.
Did you manage to kill her? I just downed her today. Took me a few tries, but the patience game pays off with that boss, or at least it did for me. Her posture took too long to take damage so I had to deplete her entire health bar before I could deliver the killing blow.

I just got to Guardian Ape and after one failed attempt, I think this guy’s gonna take me a while to figure out.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
I respect the mechanics of From Software games, but I hate their aesthetic tastes. The games always look so ugly, to my eyes.
I don't think Sekiro is anything special visually, but the Souls series is probably one of the all-time greats in that department.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I don't think Sekiro is anything special visually, but the Souls series is probably one of the all-time greats in that department.
I get that the series has a reputation for being atmospherically haunting and visually well designed, but I've just always hated the way that style/aesthetic looks, personally. It's probably an unpopular opinion.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Did you manage to kill her? I just downed her today. Took me a few tries, but the patience game pays off with that boss, or at least it did for me. Her posture took too long to take damage so I had to deplete her entire health bar before I could deliver the killing blow.

I just got to Guardian Ape and after one failed attempt, I think this guy’s gonna take me a while to figure out.

Yea I had to do the same. I'm stingy when it comes to using stuff like Divine Confetti cuz I never know how much of those things are in the game, and feel like that won't be the difference in winning/losing against a boss like the Monk (it definitely wouldn't have mattered if I used all of them).

I watched a speedrun of the game last night and, uh..I missed an entire section at the beginning(?) of the game. I never unlocked Ninjutsu skills. Not sure how much that would matter, but slightly annoyed after seeing that.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Yea I had to do the same. I'm stingy when it comes to using stuff like Divine Confetti cuz I never know how much of those things are in the game, and feel like that won't be the difference in winning/losing against a boss like the Monk (it definitely wouldn't have mattered if I used all of them).

I watched a speedrun of the game last night and, uh..I missed an entire section at the beginning(?) of the game. I never unlocked Ninjutsu skills. Not sure how much that would matter, but slightly annoyed after seeing that.
I haven’t used any of the items apart from the restorative stuff and a few coin pouches so far. Like you said, I dunno how many of each item are in the game and I’m always worried I’ll need them for an end-game boss instead.

As for the Ninjutsu skills, I’ve only found two of them and don’t use either one. Maybe it’s just my playstyle, but I’ve found using prosthetic tools to be more valuable.

Mar 22, 2010
Mother Base
Which section? I though Ninjutsu would unlock automatically through story progression?

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
Finally beat Seven Ashina Spears. The toughest battle I’ve had so far but from where I first attempted him to where I finally beat him, I learned so much in the way of timing and Mikiri countering that I feel I’ve become much better at the game. In the last attempt I absolutely owned him with countering and deflections. This game is gonna be tough to beat for GOTY for me

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I definitely want to pick this up at some point, maybe when it goes on sale.. but for now I'm finding just reading your guys posts highly entertaining -- lol!

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

I suppose, if you like the colour grey. :laugh:

I personally think Sekiro has a much better overall look than Dark Souls (to be fair, I'm a bit of a sucker for that feudal Japan look). Nothing can touch Dark Souls' monster designs, though - they are fantastic.

I get that the series has a reputation for being atmospherically haunting and visually well designed, but I've just always hated the way that style/aesthetic looks, personally. It's probably an unpopular opinion.

I'm with you on this one, aside from the aforementioned monster designs.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I think I'm gonna pick it up tonight. Pretty excited to see how it goes. I've been playing through DS3, so I'm in the groove of being punished.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad