Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (FromSoftware)

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
So how is this game for people that generally suck at video games?

I'm...uhhh...asking for a friend.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014

The developers are known for making punishing difficult games but very rarely in a cheap way. If you rage and slam controllers I would recommend a twitch play through and save cash lol.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
The developers are known for making punishing difficult games but very rarely in a cheap way. If you rage and slam controllers I would recommend a twitch play through and save cash lol.

Oh I know. I've played the Dark Souls series, although never gotten far despite wanting to like it. I'm a) not good, and 2) not a huge fan of the style.

Most of my rage at these games usually comes out on the trek back to the boss dealing with the same waves of mobs over and over again. :laugh:

I am enjoying watching the game on Twitch, though. It looks great!

Common Sense

Dec 29, 2010
So has anyone gotten further into this than me? I died a bunch of times then triggered a cutscene telling me I'm cursed with "rot essence" and now I'm not going to receive unseen aid. How do I get rid of this thing?

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo

Compared to Dark Souls games this is sooooo hard.

Interestingly, most reviews seem to say that it's the hardest game they've ever made, but that it's also the most accessible in that the difficulty is entirely from the mechanics and not from any of the RPG stuff (no stats, gear, etc.), so it'll be interesting to see if it gets any new people on board.

What a silly thought by the reviewers.. I've watched so many bad players destroy DS games after the beginning because they allow cheesing with stats. I think a lot of people will give up on Sekiro before learning it properly.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Only just got to the first boss after about 5 hours of play. I got stuck on a mini-boss for a long time, plus it’s taken me a while to get used to the mechanics. If you were a big fan of parrying in the Dark souls games, you should do well in this. Otherwise, a steep learning curve awaits you.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
So has anyone gotten further into this than me? I died a bunch of times then triggered a cutscene telling me I'm cursed with "rot essence" and now I'm not going to receive unseen aid. How do I get rid of this thing?
Keep playing and exploring. Talk to everyone you see, you'll eventually get to a point where dealing with the dragonrot is broached.

Also, talk to the NPCs after the rot because they have different dialogue lines.

Reactions: Common Sense

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Only just got to the first boss after about 5 hours of play. I got stuck on a mini-boss for a long time, plus it’s taken me a while to get used to the mechanics. If you were a big fan of parrying in the Dark souls games, you should do well in this. Otherwise, a steep learning curve awaits you.

Or you can just blow past the minibosses.

Common Sense

Dec 29, 2010
Early impressions of this game are that it’s in my top three this gen, really fun stuff. Need to find some more time to get through it.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Turns out what I thought was the first boss is the second boss, and I was woefully under experienced for that fight. At least the way to her is clear.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
IDK man maybe I';m getting too old for these games and my reflexes just aren't what they used to be. I've died on this damn Ogre probably 30+ times. I've watched videos, I know what you are supposed to do, I just can't execute. I've never had this much trouble with a Souls game before.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
IDK man maybe I';m getting too old for these games and my reflexes just aren't what they used to be. I've died on this damn Ogre probably 30+ times. I've watched videos, I know what you are supposed to do, I just can't execute. I've never had this much trouble with a Souls game before.

Right there with you. You need to execute a near flawless execution of each enemy to move on.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY

I take (or have tried to take) a sickeningly long time isolating enemies like the ogre. After I was able to get him alone, stick and move is how I've handled (or again, tried to handle) things - get a hit or 2 and dodge waaaay back to observe what they'll do next. Eventually I got a little ballsy/very lucky and was able to dodge a couple of the ogre's attacks to land a few more of my own. When I finally got the deathblow prompt I panicked hard and almost lost my opening. :laugh:

I love how you can stealth in, deathblow one guy from above/hopefully take out another real quick, grapple out of harm's way to let everyone reset, then go back in to pick them off via clay pot pieces.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
The ogre's a mean one for them to throw at you so early because his posture is pretty much not a factor.

Though you can always
set him on fire.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
I only beat her once stopped trying to dodge her attacks and just blocked everything instead. If you beat the Drunkard, you can take on the Butterfly.

Yea I reluctantly watched a video guide for Butterfly..I've been grossly underestimating the importance and strength of just going toe-to-toe with enemies/bosses and learning to parry.

There was an article on Kotaku where the author said they expected and played Sekiro as a Souls game with Souls tactics, that is very defensively and I've been in that mindset for sure. Tonight will be round 2 so hopefully it'll go better. :laugh:

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Yea I reluctantly watched a video guide for Butterfly..I've been grossly underestimating the importance and strength of just going toe-to-toe with enemies/bosses and learning to parry.

There was an article on Kotaku where the author said they expected and played Sekiro as a Souls game with Souls tactics, that is very defensively and I've been in that mindset for sure. Tonight will be round 2 so hopefully it'll go better. :laugh:
Best of luck! It’s definitely a different game mechanically from Dark Souls and Bloodborne, which takes a bit of getting used to. It feels really good when you get the hang out it, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad