TSN: Sekeres says Canucks are no longer being considered by Lucic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
That should be interesting, two different gears.

Lucic played some of his best hockey skating alongside Spooner & Pastrnak in his last season in Boston, when he was forced to move his legs to keep up with the straight line speed of the two youngsters. Lucic has very underrated north/ south speed. It's when he's paired with centermen like Krejci who prefer to zig zag (east/ west) & slow things down and setup, that Lucic starts to cruise & becomes less effective.

In my opinion he'll have no issue keeping up with McDavids speed. If anything it'll elevate his game. He's a guy who creates room for his line mates, and forces tons of turnovers. If he signs in Edmonton my eyes will be glued to Oilers games.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
You are crying when Bergevin is not signing any top6 forwards but mostly you don't want any top6 availavle on the market.... go figure.

I hope Bergevin cripples the Habs. I'm not a Habs fan while this regime is in place, so I look forward to him anchoring that team down with bad contracts for declining players who don't play the type of game that works in the new NHL.

Everything he can possibly do to cement his legacy as a gigantic moron, I'm for.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
did you see what Frans Nielsen is rumored to be signing for? If that happens, then you understand why Lucic will get a 7x7 type contract... thatll be a steal compared to Nielsens

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
did you see what Frans Nielsen is rumored to be signing for? If that happens, then you understand why Lucic will get a 7x7 type contract... thatll be a steal compared to Nielsens

Not really, they both could be bad deals by year 4

That said if teams worry to much about 4 years from now, they will not get any better in the short term.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Not really, they both could be bad deals by year 4

That said if teams worry to much about 4 years from now, they will not get any better in the short term.

Nielsen's will definitely be a bad deal by year 4. Itll be a bad deal the second after he signs haha... hes 32 years old!!

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
and Lucic physical play makes his body 32, so not a lot of difference:laugh:

hahah

I cant wait to see where Lucic signs. I know almost every fan for what ever reason don't want him on their team for the contract that he will get, but hes such a beast. He will be a perfect fit in Edmonton and will be a fan favorite the second he steps on ice for the first time.

But, im still thinking he ends up back in Cali

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
hahah

I cant wait to see where Lucic signs. I know almost every fan for what ever reason don't want him on their team for the contract that he will get, but hes such a beast. He will be a perfect fit in Edmonton and will be a fan favorite the second he steps on ice for the first time.

But, im still thinking he ends up back in Cali

If you base it on return for the next 3 years, there is no better UFA out there this year than Lucic.

Ducks, make sense, but man Getz and Perry are 31, Kesler is over 30, if they give Lucic 6 or 7 years, that team is gonna have some elder statesmen in a few years.

They talk about how Duck and King players hang out a lot in the off season. With all the contracts expiring post 35 for these 2 teams these guys will all end up in some retirement community together too.. :)

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
If you base it on return for the next 3 years, there is no better UFA out there this year than Lucic.

Ducks, make sense, but man Getz and Perry are 31, Kesler is over 30, if they give Lucic 6 or 7 years, that team is gonna have some elder statesmen in a few years.

They talk about how Duck and King players hang out a lot in the off season. With all the contracts expiring post 35 for these 2 teams these guys will all end up in some retirement community together too.. :)

His number one choice is staying in Cali... and with the rumors that LA is back in the mix, I really think itll either be Ducks or LA

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
I like Lucic. I loved him as a Vancouver junior! I wish him well wherever he goes. I expect it will be Edmonton, with significant impact in the standings.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
His number one choice is staying in Cali... and with the rumors that LA is back in the mix, I really think itll either be Ducks or LA

LA back in the mix? Oh no, that mean 6 x 6.. I liked Lucic on Kings, but man that would not be a good deal for LA...

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
LA back in the mix? Oh no, that mean 6 x 6.. I liked Lucic on Kings, but man that would not be a good deal for LA...

they probably saw when Chia made that silly Hall deal, that they were making space to sign Lucic.... and then LA maybe decided that maybe they will up their contract offer longer than the 4 years they previously offered

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site

I think that is the key point. So, it ultimately how you define value. Will Lucic be as good as he has been over a 6/7 year deal? Likely, not as good from years 5 onwards IMO.

So, if that is the case, is a team going to say, we get around 4 good years out of Milan, and over the final 2-3, we are prepared to buy him out and eat around $2 million per season in dead cap space over 4-6 years? If that works for the team, then it all works.

You can no longer massively front load a contract. There are rules determining the amount (via a %) of the difference between the highest year, cap avg, and lowest year. So, Milan can't go from $10 million in year 1 in salary, down to $1 million in the final year. On a $6 million cap hit, lowest salary would be around the $4 million range. So, dealing Milan off in the final years, the acquiring team would have to determine if Lucic is a $4 million player. If he's not, they won't be interested.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
they are pretty much saying Lucic to Oilers is a done deal on TSN... 7 years 6 mill per year atleast(reporting it most likely will be even more per year)

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

Agree on the next three years.
Which is why I think he's a bad move for the Oilers. He only makes sense for a team competing for the cup in that three year period.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
According to Dreger (who I don't know how much credibility he has with Vancouver but YMMV) Eriksson to Vancouver is pretty much a done deal.

I didn't want either Lucic or Eriksson that much but with a gun to my head I take Loui. At least he'll be exciting with the twins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad