TSN: Sekeres: Markstrom wont sign with Edmonton or Detroit- updated with podcast link and post #361

Status
Not open for further replies.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
what a bizarre thing to put out there if true. sounds more like an educated guess by sekeres.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
Ouch. Players still don’t want to sign in Edmonton. That’s gotta be a kick to the gut if you’re a fan

NextGoalIsHuge

Nov 19, 2017
Perhaps it's true. Perhaps it's just whispers. Either way; it's just Sekeres talking, not Markstrom or his agent. I can't think they would be happy 'bout a discreet convo being used for on-air drama.

Won't stop peeps from taking shots at Edmonton, though. I'm in Vancouver and...honestly?...the EDM bashing is just old, tired and boring.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
I wonder what he means by a "B" market team? I mean, Edmonton have had a higher attendance than Vancouver since they got their new arena, and ended up higher in the standings than the Canucks this past season too. If he identifies the Oilers as a rebuilding team and Red Wings as the ''B'' Market I understand it more, because no sane person should want to live in Detroit in 2020.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
I don't get why some fans take this personally lol, this isn't even disrespectful, and actually kind of nice compared to the usual leverage plays we see from players.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
This is the kind of shit that gets you lit up by these teams. He should ask David Rittich how that stick toss worked out for him.

If he moves out east it won’t really matter but if he goes to the flames oh boy.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Huge NEWS. The worst team in the league and the team with the worst winters that are BOTH mid-sized cities is NOT a draw for UFAs. Go figure. /s

Edit: If this is at all true his agent needs to be fired. Or whoever among Markstrom's team leaked the news ought to be pushed aside. Markstrom cannot afford to loose suitors for his services on the eve of the largest pay day of his life. He ought to drive demand as high as possible so he gets a better offer from a team he actually wants to play for. Econ 101.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It may not have that much to do with Edmonton as a market anyway. The Oilers have Koskinen already, who has pretty much identical stats to Markstrom last season. He would have to be a 1A/1B situation here.

Markstrom - .918 save percentage, 2.75 GAA (43GP)

Koskinen - .917 save percentage, 2.75 GAA (38GP)

You can't really justify having one guy getting a ton of more starts over the other. He would have to share the crease.

It's not the best situation if you want to be the defacto no.1 guy.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Sorry not trying to be rude but what big name free agents have they signed?

I want to say the Koskinen and Lucic deals are what he is alluding to...

I dont think the Canucks match that especially if he gets a NMC which he wants.

He will definitely not get a NMC. But Rittich's contract structure basically guarantees that if Markstrom signs for more than 1 season he will be automatically protected over Rittich. Calgary is stingy on NMC/NTC. Not as crazy stingy as Poile in Nashville though. That guy is ridiculously good at that.

I think the most trade protection other than Lucic with the NMC from Edmonton is Gio with a 15 team NTC and Monahan and Gaudreau with 10 team NTC?

Confused by the disdain for Edmonton but willingness for Calgary?

I can't help but think that the "B" team comment thing is code for something else. Like he doesn't want to go to a rebuilding team, or a team where he's going to be "bombed" by the opposition every night like the Canucks a few seasons ago due to significant blue line/systems weakness?

I mean even if the stats doesn't agree. Calgary doesn't have a reputation for leaving their goalies out to dry. As a Flames fan, even we at times agree we regularly let our goalies down and hang them out to dry.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Confused by the disdain for Edmonton but willingness for Calgary?

Apparently friends with Lindholm and Calgary doesn't have a Koskinen that could overtake him if he has a bad stretch probably factor into that.

Koskinen is underrated on this board, he had virtually identical numbers to Markstrom last year, in the playoffs the Oilers blue line was gutted by injuries with both Klefbom and Larsson injured, kinda hard to blame him for that.

Reactions: Dr Awesome

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I wonder what he means by a "B" market team? I mean, Edmonton have had a higher attendance than Vancouver since they got their new arena, and ended up higher in the standings than the Canucks this past season too. If he identifies the Oilers as a rebuilding team and Red Wings as the ''B'' Market I understand it more, because no sane person should want to live in Detroit in 2020.

Allow me to blow your mind...

Players who make millions of dollars aren't living in the city. They're living in a multi-million dollar mansion in the suburbs.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
tenor.gif

Hilarious, if true.

My man created a no-sign list cause he doesn't even want to be associated with Edmonton. Just the thought scares him. Not even as leverage.

Oof.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Wow The oilers got the kiss off twice in one day .
Players tell Edmonton Its not you it's me and I just want us to be friends.
Haha

Do teams really want to win these "sweepstakes". Lucic turned down Vancouver for Edmonton, and no one would want that contract now. A lot of these UFA signings and big hunt trades for guys in their late 20s/early 30s turn into massive busts, I'd say probably the majority of the time teams regret the contract a couple of years later.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad