Seidenberg injures Puljujarvi on knee on knee hit

Mar 26, 2010
No question that was intentional.

Hope the kid will be ok. He has tons of skill.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Go watch any open ice hit. 80% of them are gonna look like this play. Well except for a player trying to get a around a hit.

Seen many great open ice hits in my time. And they don't involve an tensed up knee bracing for contact.

Last edited:

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Some people here are just unbelievable. Thinking it's on Puljujarvi even a tiniest bit is absolute madness. "Pulju tried to avoid getting hit, it's his fault." Seriously wtf? That stuck out knee was the only way Seidenberg could have gotten him. That's no accident. Suspension worthy dirty

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Some people here are just unbelievable. Thinking it's on Puljujarvi even a tiniest bit is absolute madness. "Pulju tried to avoid getting hit, it's his fault." Seriously wtf? That stuck out knee was the only way Seidenberg could have gotten him. That's no accident. Suspension worthy dirty

Agreed 100%. If Puljujarvi was a good ole Canadian boy, I suspect the responses would be wildly different.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
On what planet was that dirty? He didn't stick his knee out. He actually extended his shoulder to try and get him that way.

Holy hell. I am defending the Islanders twice, lately? Dear Lord. I feel dirty.

A guy who can't skate realizes he's beat and does what he can to catch a piece of the guy going around him.

He ends up missing completely with the shoulder and accidentally initiates a knee on knee hit causing injury.

Not intentional but reckless and dirty.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Don't think he deserves a suspension, but a reckless play that Seidenberg shouldn't have made. No reason for him to finish that hit with the position that Puljujarvi is in with the puck already poked ahead.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
No idea if it was intentional or not. Didn't Seidenberg himself have a really bad knee injury tearing his ACL and other ligaments a few years back?

Either way, knee on knee hits are among the worst plays in hockey. Can end a guys career, Pulju just had surgery on the same leg this summer. That was the scary part.

It sounds more like a charley horse than knee damage, could have been much worse.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Looks rather unfortunate to me. There was certainly no "leading with his knee", I don't know how anyone can suggest such a thing. Seidenberg was going for the hit, Puljujarvi shifted to evade him, Seidenberg shifted to still get him. It's impossible to shift like that without moving your knee as well, anyone who has even remote knowledge of physics or skating should know that. On top of that, the way the scene plays out show that he was going for something entirely different and wasn't ready at all for what was happening. The movement of the upper body is completely off for someone who tries to for a knee-check.

Maybe Seidenberg could have let him get past him instead, but the odds of a knee-on-knee collision were rather slim. Maybe you can give 2 minutes for kneeing, because while it wasn't an attempt to do so, you are still responsible for your attempts to hit someone and have to make sure that it lands properly.

teddy83

Nov 2, 2013
That was a bad hit, but i am more concerned about the non-reaction from the Oilers players. I mean, your 18yo 1st round draft pick almost got his knee blown up to pieces and Seidenberg doesn't even get a little reminder that you don't do that to our 1st round pick? That's ******** in my opinion....

knifer

Sep 4, 2006
yk
Looks rather unfortunate to me. There was certainly no "leading with his knee", I don't know how anyone can suggest such a thing. Seidenberg was going for the hit, Puljujarvi shifted to evade him, Seidenberg shifted to still get him. It's impossible to shift like that without moving your knee as well, anyone who has even remote knowledge of physics or skating should know that. On top of that, the way the scene plays out show that he was going for something entirely different and wasn't ready at all for what was happening. The movement of the upper body is completely off for someone who tries to for a knee-check.

Maybe Seidenberg could have let him get past him instead, but the odds of a knee-on-knee collision were rather slim. Maybe you can give 2 minutes for kneeing, because while it wasn't an attempt to do so, you are still responsible for your attempts to hit someone and have to make sure that it lands properly.

You miss the hit, you have to let him go. You dont knee him to stop him.

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
Definitely a dirty play. No one skates with their leg protruding out like that for so many strides. You can even see him stick it out further as he gets closer.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
btw, he's not injured. The coach said he had a charlie horse, and those can be bad, but it's not permanent damage. He might play today but my guess is that he won't.

jls24

Apr 30, 2013
I have no dog in this fight. Seidenberg 100% stuck his knee out to make contact when Puljujarvi got out of the way of his check. I wouldn't say necessarily dirty as I doubt he was trying to injure, but definitely wreckless. We see this hit often as it's almost a natural reaction when you're going to miss a check to just try and get a piece of the guy. It's going to be hard to get out of the game but should start being disciplined.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I have no dog in this fight. Seidenberg 100% stuck his knee out to make contact when Puljujarvi got out of the way of his check. I wouldn't say necessarily dirty as I doubt he was trying to injure, but definitely wreckless. We see this hit often as it's almost a natural reaction when you're going to miss a check to just try and get a piece of the guy. It's going to be hard to get out of the game but should start being disciplined.

This sums it up perfectly. It's a play that usually just ends in a penalty, but with how easily you can ruin someone's career with a knee on knee hit, there's got to start being stronger punishment at some point. The fact it's just a charlie horse probably means Seidenberg doesn't get a suspension

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki

This 100%. If Seidenberg doesn't miss the contact with his shoulder that is a 100% clean hit. But the downside of throwing a hit with a form like that is that if you miss the contact shoulder on shoulder/chest, your leg extends out as a natural reaction and the hit often ends up being kneeing.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
unfortunate play. Hate to say it but I wish Puli would have just taken the hit. Him trying to move out of the way at the last second caused it

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
unfortunate play. Hate to say it but I wish Puli would have just taken the hit. Him trying to move out of the way at the last second caused it

This is it. Don't want to see anyone getting a knee injury but trying to avoid inevitable contact can be dangerous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad