Sedins' struggles

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
No Kesler on the PP, and struggles from the back-end on the PP which has diminished it's effectiveness. There is no legit 2nd line offensive threat for other teams to worry about, so they can focus on shutting down the top line. Burrows and Daniel have been having an off-season by their standards.

Now with so many injuries, are back to playing a 'circle the wagons' tight defensive system and taking less chances to create offense. It comes as little surprise that Henrik and Daniel's production would be down if they are being expected to play more of a two-way game.

It also comes as little surprise that Schneider miraculously 'found his game' once the Canucks cut back on the number of grade 'A' scoring chances against allowed.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Henrik is .03 PPG off his ES points pace from 10/11. Daniel is off significantly, but still. It's the PP, and, I'd suggest, Kesler not being with them on said PP. Kesler just brings so many extra angles to the PP. Their PP point paces are way, way down from 10/11. Like by half.

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
Henrik is .03 PPG off his ES points pace from 10/11. Daniel is off significantly, but still. It's the PP, and, I'd suggest, Kesler not being with them on said PP. Kesler just brings so many extra angles to the PP. Their PP point paces are way, way down from 10/11. Like by half.

in the few games he was back you could just tell he changed things completely on the PP.. another dangerous shot and good passer + net front presence when possible

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
in the few games he was back you could just tell he changed things completely on the PP.. another dangerous shot and good passer + net front presence when possible

His speed can back guys off so they can establish themselves in the zone, or it can be effective in puck retrieval. He wins pucks on the boards. His shot also keeps teams honest, either the threat off the rush, or the one timer we've seen from the circle. He's got a big frame which gives him big reach to scoop up loose pucks off of rebounds or blocked passes/shots, and allows him to shield the puck well when things get scrambly. He's also really good in front of the net, but has the head and hands to quickly find and grab rebounds. Losing him from the PP is an absolutely enormous loss.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
I'm not saying it's Ehrhoff... but it's Ehrhoff.

In addition to that, it's a number of other factors, namely them getting a bit older, the league shifting a bit more towards obstruction and hindering their game, the lack of a second line shifting the brunt of the weight on them and allowing other teams to key in on them more often.

But yeah... Ehrhoff too. Fingers crossed for Mike Green at some point in time.

When you say Ehrhoff, I think you actually mean, the Canuck's overall transitional game has gone to ****.

I believe the ability to go from defending to producing goals is underrated in the league. Chicago's ability to do this is unreal.

I don't like the Canucks defensive system at the moment. The puck-possession game is more like "We're going to do this to you and you can't stop it even though it's happening in front of your eyes - settle the puck in the defensive zone, plot a course through the neutral zone, cycle it until there's a chance." I'd like more run and gun, fast paced, using speed system.

The Sedin's will always play a puck possession game, but planning the team's strategy around it I think makes a waste of the other line's abilities and why secondary scoring has been lacking for awhile. (And certain players haven't flourished here.)

The team is lacking an identity a bit IMO.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
When you say Ehrhoff, I think you actually mean, the Canuck's overall transitional game has gone to ****.

I believe the ability to go from defending to producing goals is underrated in the league. Chicago's ability to do this is unreal.

I don't like the Canucks defensive system at the moment. The puck-possession game is more like "We're going to do this to you and you can't stop it even though it's happening in front of your eyes - settle the puck in the defensive zone, plot a course through the neutral zone, cycle it until there's a chance." I'd like more run and gun, fast paced, using speed system.

The Sedin's will always play a puck possession game, but planning the team's strategy around it I think makes a waste of the other line's abilities and why secondary scoring has been lacking for awhile. (And certain players haven't flourished here.)

The team is lacking an identity a bit IMO.

The Canucks often use the long pass to a man up ice, who then either chips in or, ideally, hits a man busting up the middle. That's pretty much the definition of "fast paced, using speed." The problem is that it's not really clicking too well. Partially because they're missing 1/3 of their top 6, partially because the defensemen responsible for making it go are not really on their games this year for whatever reason.

Pretty much every team "cycles it until there's a chance." To score off the rush, you're either outnumbering them, relying on their D gapping down too low to give you space to skate it into a good shooting position, or straight up walking a guy. The first two are only going to happen so often, and the third requires personnel that the Canucks don't have in abundance. You have to play the percentages, and if the opportunity is there, the last thing you want is to have guys just trying over and over to hopelessly dangle the defence or skate it into trouble, because all you're doing there is giving the other team a free chance to turn the play back up ice.

Lindt

Apr 28, 2010
I think Henrik has played extremely well this year. Daniel, as the goal scorer, is a step behind him. But I wouldn't say either are struggling except on the PP - they are far and away the most dangerous players on the ice almost every night.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
I'd like to see some lap times from the Sedins. I think they are slower this season.

Not to be an alarmist, but the Sedins are thirty-two. How has every other goalscorer in history been affected by turning thirty two?

GM Gillis should be given a great deal of the credit for the Canucks this season. Vignault, too. A dude just crosschecked a Sedin to the head and was actually acknowledged by the league for it. Where was the Canuck response? This player should have been smacked down immediately. This is especially true of one line teams. Is Gillis still butthurt from his playing days and determined to prove felines can win in a big dog's game?

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Mostly PP to me. I would bet their 5 on 5 numbers are where they were, but with the PP becoming a problem, they're numbers will take a big hit.

Still creating chances and playing well. I don't think their age is even a factor at this point personally. It's not like they play a speed game.

Ryan96

Mar 1, 2013
Vancouver
They seem to be less consistent. They just haven`t got into a good groove yet. Also everybody knows how to play them now which means they have to work harder or try new things. Also another thing is they don`t look very good in their own zone.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
They look great, IMO.

The points drop is due to lack of powerplay success, which has alot to do with no Kesler and no Salo.

Also, Burrows has not been as good as he was previous years.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
........................... did they even play tonight? They had next to zero shifts where they owned the puck. This is one of the worst road teams in the league and the sedins did NO THING............

.....................................................wow....................................

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Puck possesion is one thing, but eventually you need to get some chances. They seem to pass a lot then eventually lose the puck before getting even a decent shot. Lost A LOT of battles today and the last few games.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I haven't been able to watch too many games this season. What's going on with the twins? Daniel's gone pointless in 3 games, and has gone from Art Ross to below PPG the last couple of seasons. Same goes with Henrik. Are they starting wear down? I don't recall the last time they have dominated a game, at least not to the extent that they were doing 2 years ago when they were getting 3pt games at will.

I'm guessing a lot of it has to do with the powerplay, it really hasn't looked the same since Erhoff left. It's pretty concerning considering our secondary scoring is non-existent.

Multiple reasons why:

1) PP production. Team has a hard time, outside of the drop pass of carrying the puck into the offensive zone. Twins don't have the speed or shiftiness to back the opposing team off the line. So, it falls to the other 3 skaters to do so. Without Kesler and the Hoff, Garrison, Burrows, Hansen, Edler aren't great at doing that.
2) Shooting the damn puck. We saw it rear its ugly head big time in the Colorado game on the 2nd PP chance when Hank passed cross ice to Daniel, who instead of shooting it at the 1/2 open net, opted to pass it back cross ice to Hank (the non-shooter) and they failed to get a good shot at the net.
Teams have figured out that Hank isn't dangerous on the side wall because he's not a shooting option, even just putting the puck on net for a rebound or a tip. He'll only pass the puck, so as a defender you give him a lane to the net and just block up the passing lanes.
3) Change in the game. Not as free flowing as the past couple of years. Hinders their game.
4) Inability to adapt to new linemates. Since they have played together for over 25 years, they are the ones that require the 3rd forward to adapt to their style. Onus has never been on them to adjust their game to new linemates.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Kind of hard to score when you have to wear Tyutin like a cape, too.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Kind of hard to score when you have to wear Tyutin like a cape, too.

yeah, i think with the way obstructions are being call nowadays, its back to the old clutch and grab hockey, and it really affects the sedins because their magic (cycling and passing) are nullified when a defender can, well, clutch and grab the twins when the D got beat.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
In all seriousness, I think the fact that we don't have secondary scoring or a strong checking line is hurting them the most right now. They have the entirety of the other team's focus right now. If they're not dueling top lines constantly at home they're dueling top defensive formations constantly on the road.

They're coming out a head in their match ups, but we're not going to get good production out of them if the trend continues. It's why Kesler and a third line center are so important. Such a huge trickle down effect for the entire line up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad