Sedins' struggles

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
In all seriousness, I think the fact that we don't have secondary scoring or a strong checking line is hurting them the most right now. They have the entirety of the other team's focus right now. If they're not dueling top lines constantly at home they're dueling top defensive formations constantly on the road.

They're coming out a head in their match ups, but we're not going to get good production out of them if the trend continues. It's why Kesler and a third line center are so important. Such a huge trickle down effect for the entire line up.

Doesn't every teams top line draw the top checking units of the other teams? Especially in the playoffs and one could argue we have a playoff type atmosphere in the league right now given how tight the race is.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Not sure if serious.

i'm completely serious. they're getting some help from goaltending but right now they've been on less goals per min/20min/60min than jonathan toews, david backes, patrice bergeron, pavel datsyuk... the list goes on

right now when henrik sedin is on the ice, 77% of the goals scored are for the canucks. seventy seven percent. for every goal scored against, his line scores three

throw in kopitar, dustin brown, ryan suter, zdeno chara, ryan getzlaf, both staal brothers...

right now they are literally outscoring their opposition more frequently as a ratio than sidney crosby (at 71%)

Last edited:

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
i'm completely serious. they're getting some help from goaltending but right now they've been on less goals per min/20min/60min than jonathan toews, david backes, patrice bergeron... the list goes on

right now when henrik sedin is on the ice, 77% of the goals scored are for the canucks. seventy seven percent. for every goal scored against, his line scores three

Henrik has certainly elevated his game without the puck this year. I've been really impressed with him.

Daniel is struggling but I'm going to attribute that to the Keith hit last year. He'll turn it around.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
i'm completely serious. they're getting some help from goaltending but right now they've been on less goals per min/20min/60min than jonathan toews, david backes, patrice bergeron... the list goes on

Well, it should be expected. They top the team in O-zone starts and league-wide, out of the non-scrub forwards, only Malkin, Gaborik and Huberdeau start more up there than them.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Well, it should be expected. They top the team in O-zone starts and league-wide, out of the non-scrub forwards, only Malkin, Gaborik and Huberdeau start more up there than them.

it is different than previous years. last year they got more favourable zone-starts, this year less goals are being scored

edit: they're also out-doing malkin pretty considerably in all the metrics i posted

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Henrik has certainly elevated his game without the puck this year. I've been really impressed with him.

Daniel is struggling but I'm going to attribute that to the Keith hit last year. He'll turn it around.

daniel's been fine in all aspects but the powerplay. i dont know what happened but his brain seems to have been re-arranged to not shoot with the man up and it's pretty much the entire reason its struggling

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
i'm completely serious. they're getting some help from goaltending but right now they've been on less goals per min/20min/60min than jonathan toews, david backes, patrice bergeron, pavel datsyuk... the list goes on

throw in kopitar, dustin brown, ryan suter, zdeno chara, ryan getzlaf, both staal brothers...

right now they are literally outscoring their opposition more frequently as a ratio than sidney crosby (at 71%)
I've been very impressed by them but did not know this. Pretty amazing.
Are you talking about the way the coach used Sedins, Hodgson, and Malhotra last year or do you have some evidence that this is still happening (I'm too lazy to look up the stats)? I didn't think they were being used that way to any out of the ordinary degree this year. Considering the injury troubles, I would be very surprised if they were getting away with it.

In fact, the Sedins seem to have been matched up against the opposition's top line most nights this year.

With Henrik being one of our only capable faceoff guys this year, who's taking all the draws in our own end in place of him? Schroeder? Lapierre? Burrows? Ebbett?

Your theory sounds very fishy to me.

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
haven't checked but i'm sure lapierre has gotten the vast majority of the defensive zone faceoffs

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
hes right. here's hanks breakdowns, O/D/N

this year: 45.6/24.1/30.3
last year: 50.9/13.4/35.7

so yeah, hank gets nice starts, but they're not as nice as last year and he's doing better. both he and daniel have absolutely improved their 2way game

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Well to me they look good and are doing their thing. That's the most important thing regardless of how much offense we expect them to get.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
hes right. here's hanks breakdowns, O/D/N

this year: 45.6/24.1/30.3
last year: 50.9/13.4/35.7

so yeah, hank gets nice starts, but they're not as nice as last year and he's doing better. both he and daniel have absolutely improved their 2way game
I stand corrected. Still though, they look pretty excellent defensively out there, making smart plays all over the ice.

The only thing I dislike is their lack of urgency around the front of our own net. I remember this play from a few games back when one of our defenseman was caught deep on a turnover and Henrik was one of the guys coming back. He just sort of stayed around the perimeter off to the side of the net as one of the opposition's players just drove to the net

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad