Sedins' struggles

Eric

Feb 20, 2003
Van
I haven't been able to watch too many games this season. What's going on with the twins? Daniel's gone pointless in 3 games, and has gone from Art Ross to below PPG the last couple of seasons. Same goes with Henrik. Are they starting wear down? I don't recall the last time they have dominated a game, at least not to the extent that they were doing 2 years ago when they were getting 3pt games at will.

I'm guessing a lot of it has to do with the powerplay, it really hasn't looked the same since Erhoff left. It's pretty concerning considering our secondary scoring is non-existent.

vector209

Jan 7, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
I'm not saying it's Ehrhoff... but it's Ehrhoff.

In addition to that, it's a number of other factors, namely them getting a bit older, the league shifting a bit more towards obstruction and hindering their game, the lack of a second line shifting the brunt of the weight on them and allowing other teams to key in on them more often.

But yeah... Ehrhoff too. Fingers crossed for Mike Green at some point in time.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I'm not saying it's Ehrhoff... but it's Ehrhoff.

In addition to that, it's a number of other factors, namely them getting a bit older, the league shifting a bit more towards obstruction and hindering their game, the lack of a second line shifting the brunt of the weight on them and allowing other teams to key in on them more often.

But yeah... Ehrhoff too. Fingers crossed for Mike Green at some point in time.

Seems like damaged goods to me, especially when he has a caphit of just over 6M.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Secondary scoring has been good this year, considering the next best player on the roster (Kesler) has been out, and Gillis has done **** all to address any roster deficiencies thusfar this season.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Pretty much strictly the PP. Henrik is scoring at a 62 ES point pace which is exactly what he put up in 10-11. He's on pace for 24 fewer PP points though.

Don't think it has much of anything to do with Ehrhoff. Buffalo's PP is worse than Vancouver's and has been junk since he got there. The Canucks' PP on the other hand was 4th in league without him last season.

If Henrik continued at his ES pace and only put up as many PP points as last season he'd still end up with 86 points which would be the 3rd highest of his career, so I don't see it as some sort of decline. They're also playing against tougher competition than in recent years.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Pretty much strictly the PP. Henrik is scoring at a 62 ES point pace which is exactly what he put up in 10-11. He's on pace for 24 fewer PP points though.

Don't think it has much of anything to do with Ehrhoff. Buffalo's PP is worse than Vancouver's and has been junk since he got there. The Canucks' PP on the other hand was 4th in league without him last season.

If Henrik continued at his ES pace and only put up as many PP points as last season he'd still end up with 86 points which would be the 3rd highest of his career, so I don't see it as some sort of decline. They're also playing against tougher competition than in recent years.

Based on this you can surmise that Kesler is far more important to the PP than Ehrhoff ever was.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Based on this you can surmise that Kesler is far more important to the PP than Ehrhoff ever was.

Yeah, it was amazing in the first half of last season and took a dive around the time Kesler started playing injured. And it's been terrible this year but looked good when he was back. Not to mention in 09-10 Kesler's 2nd unit outperformed the Sedins' 1st unit.

Ehrhoff helped, but Kesler as the 3rd forward is the key IMO. The drop off between Edler/Ehrhoff to Edler/Garrison is much, much smaller than it is between Kesler and whichever of Burrows/Hansen/Kassian/etc. is out there when he's injured.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
As mentioned above the Sedins PPG at ES is good this year. Their drop in production can be attributed to the PP. Why does the PP suck? There are a number of reasons.. Having no big handed right shot is a start, having no legit puck mover from the point is another weakness.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Terrible PP has hurt their production this year, pretty much the bottom line. Age plays a factor a little bit, but they still look like the same ol' Sedins of past.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
nothings wrong with them. they're doing really well and are playing excellent 2-way games. they're our best forwards offensively and defensively

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Not only their ES production has kept up, but you can tell that it's business as usual for them. Same old cycling game, winning battles, making the occasional magic happen, rack up points at a leisurely pace.

The league-worst PP is why they aren't topping the scoreboards. It's funny when people say "well, Hodgson and Ehrhoff are gone so we suck!" when the ONLY power play worse than ours is no other than... the Sabres'.

We miss Kesler there. And the Salo Bomb. AV is putting Garrison more on the 1st unit so hopefully we'll see that pay off soon enough.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
If the PP was working they'd be looking great. The PP sucks, they are a part of that but 5-on-5 they are going along fine, and 5-on-5 is usually a better indicator of age.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
dear god. people criticizing the twins. as if they haven't endured enough BS fake crit over their careers?

They are playing amazing right now. Beyond reproach. They are far and away the best two players on this team, and we are looking at a lottery pick without them.

Lay off.

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010
This is some of the best two way hockey I've ever seen the twins play. Hope they keep it up.

StringerBell

Yeah, I'm going to jump on the 'PP' comment train here. Does anyone have the stats on how their even strength numbers compare to last year?

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
daniel needs to shoot more

other than that they're still elite es and possession players and the 29th ranked pp can be blamed more on newell brown and kesler's injury than anything the sedins are doing differently

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
the year everything seems off and the team isn't producing just right is a year this team will win the cup. I could see a 1994 type run from our boys in the next couple years. This time ending in victory. I want this core to win a cup so bad. The boston loss would make a cup with this core 5 times more amazing.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
this is a reverse psychology thread.........there was a thread about concerning about 3 wins in 11 and then here we are 4 straight wins......

HankieDankie

Feb 24, 2012
Vancouver
PP.

I actually think they look better at even strength this year, compared to last year. Last year they piled up a lot of points on the PP, but seemed less threatening at even strength. I don't know if this is actually true and backed up by stats, but I'm just going off what I remember.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad