Sebastian Aho for the Hart Trophy?

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
OK, but the qualifications for the Hart are "most valuable to his team" not "who scores the most points."

If he finishes with 90+ points (he's on pace for 93) and the Canes make the playoffs, he should at least be on the short list. He's been carrying the team around on his back for months.

Yes, but by that logic a goalie should win almost every year.

Historically a forward isn’t winning the Hart while being outside the top 10 in scoring and top 20 in goals.

Whether that’s what “should” happen or not is a different story than whether that *is* what happens.

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
He's the poster that always wants Aho to be traded with the reasoning that it would be best for the Canes as they could stock up on picks and prospects. :laugh:

So I'd take his posts with a huge grain of salt.

I do maintain the position that Carolina is not in a spot to be a contender for a long time, thus, it would be prudent to cash in on Aho, tank a couple years and come back stronger with the great picks and assets gained from the trade rather than maintain a very mediocre roster (however I do understand that the rebuild period would suck for the fans) But that all is off-topic for our discussion.

The reality is that Point has not shown similar level with the quality of linemates Aho is managing with, neither has he shown the ability to elevate 40 point players to near PPG level as Aho has done with both Teravainen and Niederreiter. Not a difficult consideration..

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Before you ignore my conclusion read this and I will tell you why.

Sebastaian Aho has currently 21 + 30 = 51 points in 45 games. There is a big difference from the rest of the team. 2nd Teuvo Teravainen has 38 points and 3th Justin Williams 27 points. Also Sebastian Aho has +15 when players like Justin Williams has -14 Dougie Hamilton -13 Jaccob Slavin -12 and Jordan Staal -11.

Sebastian Aho is the Carolina Hurricanes and he has no support just like Taylor Hall last year and he won the Hart Trophy with 93 points. Sebastian Aho is probably gonna have at least 93 points.

I'm not telling Aho is better than Kucherov, McDavid, MacKinnon, Rantanen or Gaudreau for example. Aho is not gonna be Art Ross finalist but Hart Trophy - sure.

Kucherov has Point, Stamkos, Hedman and Vasilevski.
McDavid, well the Oilers doesn't look like a playoff team.
Rantanen and MacKinnon have each others.
Gaudreau, well there are 5 point per game players in Calgary!!

Carolina Hurricanes is a minus team but still Aho has +15 and the Canes have a good chance to go to the playoffs. And if the Canes are going to the playoffs - Sebastian Aho gotta be a Hart Trophy finalist and maybe even a winner if he keeps going like this.

Thank you for reading and please respect my opinion and don't start talking about Marner

They need to retroactively take away Gretzky's Hart trophies and give them to Peter Statsny and Dale Hawerchuk.

Reactions: The Macho Man

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I do maintain the position that Carolina is not in a spot to be a contender for a long time, thus, it would be prudent to cash in on Aho, tank a couple years and come back stronger with the great picks and assets gained from the trade rather than maintain a very mediocre roster (however I do understand that the rebuild period would suck for the fans) But that all is off-topic for our discussion.

The reality is that Point has not shown similar level with the quality of linemates Aho is managing with, neither has he shown the ability to elevate 40 point players to near PPG level as Aho has done with both Teravainen and Niederreiter. Not a difficult consideration..

Point last season played with a 26 year old career AHLer and put up 66 Points, all at 5v5 or scrapped 2nd PP unit time and was the teams best defensive forward.

So

You're argument fails, again.

Ahoy there

Always in control of my stick
Nov 10, 2018
NC via WI
I always find it funny when threads come down to, "but is better than xx?" We don't have Point, we're not going to get Point, so I don't get the point. They don't have Aho, they won't get Aho, (darn it, can't Finnish the symmetry.)

Point is outstanding. Would love to have him; TB is fortunate. Aho is outstanding. Love having him; Canes are fortunate. These neither take away nor add to the other player.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012

That "mediocre roster" is good enough to be 13th overall in the league standings right now. I'm not saying that's the stuff of greatness but it's not dog meat either.

Weiss1604

Mar 27, 2017
Wales
Exceptionally good & so so underrated , in my humble opinion the best finnish player on the outstanding world junior winning side & he's got better & better since . He can do everything & his attitude just looks top draw . Carolina fans have hope with Aho in the fold & the team needs to be built around him & he should be the fulcrum , just a incredible talent . I'll get of his nuts now lol .

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I do maintain the position that Carolina is not in a spot to be a contender for a long time, thus, it would be prudent to cash in on Aho, tank a couple years and come back stronger with the great picks and assets gained from the trade rather than maintain a very mediocre roster (however I do understand that the rebuild period would suck for the fans) But that all is off-topic for our discussion..

And your position is, was and always will be idiotic.

Spyderman

Nov 16, 2016
As it sits right now I would say that Aho will have a difficult time making it into the top5 of the Hart voting. Just my opinion.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario

Oh my god, you’re still on that?

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Aho is the best choice for the Hart. Who else would be better?

Ok, how should I put this? Here, I'll list the forward Hart winners since the year 2000 so you get the point:

2000 - Chris Pronger
2001 - Joe Sakic (2nd in points)
2002 - Jose Theodore
2003 - Peter Forsberg (Art Ross winner)
2004 - Martin St. Louis (Art Ross winner)
2006 - Joe Thornton (Art Ross winner)
2007 - Sidney Crosby (Art Ross winner)
2008 - Alexander Ovechkin (Art Ross winner)
2009 - Alexander Ovechkin (2nd in points)
2010 - Henrik Sedin (Art Ross winner)
2011 - Corey Perry (3rd in points)
2012 - Evgeni Malkin (Art Ross winner)
2013 - Alexander Ovechkin (3rd in points)
2014 - Sidney Crosby (Art Ross winner)

2015 - Carey Price
2016 - Patrik Kane (Art Ross winner)
2017 - Connor McDavid (Art Ross winner)
2018 - Taylor Hall (6th in points)

Seeing a pattern here? As it stands right now, Aho is 14th in points. No way he's sniffing the Hart unless he moves into the top-5.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Every team has an mvp, what makes Aho ahead of other mvp players? For him to get a consideration, he needs to at least be top-5 in points and get his team to the playoffs.

I'd say top-10 in points is the least expectation. Top-5 is prefereable.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I wouldn't say he's necessarily "probably" going to have at least 93 points. He had a good game last game. He's on pace for 93 points now but prior to last night he was on pace for 88 points. Regardless, 93 points this season doesn't mean as much last season due to the high scoring...

yeah I mean as stupid as him winning it last year was at least Hall was 6th in scoring last year(and 7th in points per game)

Aho is 15th in scoring right now(and 23rd in points per game)

Hall was also 0.10 behind first in points per game and 0.04 behind 3rd in points per game

right now Aho is 0.45 behind first in points per game and 0.32 behind third in points per game

more than a little difference there,Aho isn't even in the same universe as the top offensive guys right now

and the whole thought process that lead to Hall winning it last year was stupid to begin with anyways,it should just go to the best player value isn't some intangible thing it's a measurable concept and the best player provides the most of it by default

but no we gotta give it to the good player with the shittiest teammates without them being shitty enough to miss the Playoffs

Last edited:
Reactions: Howard Beale

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
That may be, but the same crap can be said about other players, it does not mean they should hand out Hart Trophy nominations like candy.

If the Canes make the PO's and Aho finishes top-10 in points (which will probably happen if they make the PO's, cause a lot of it will be due to Aho's play) he will most likely finish top-5 in voting and possibly top-3 (which is the "nomination"). That said, Kuch is looking to be the hands on favorite to win the Hart. Maybe McDavid is Oilers make it to playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad