Seattle V: Make It So(Do)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
Hopefully Seattle gets a team.
I think expansion teams should for the first year of the draft select last each round (example 31st, 61st,91st, etc...) Then after the first year, it returns to normal and they select where ever they finish the season at. Fair to all teams.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
really? i thought they met in February.

So any possible announcement or BOG action in regards to the rumor of Seattle expansion won't happen till march?

I would think an announcement and a formal BOG vote will be 2 separate events much like the Winnipeg relo.

In terms when that announcement takes place? My guess...How does March 3 sound?

The day after Heritage Classic in Vancouver. A quickie flight down to Sea...bam! make it official. The vote from the BoG can come later just as a formality.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
really? i thought they met in February.

So any possible announcement or BOG action in regards to the rumor of Seattle expansion won't happen till march?

On nhl.com shows the GM's meeting then, does BOG also get together

My bad. Part assumption, part history. SD is correct. It is the GM's meeting. I assumed since the EIS is due out about the same time, and if this latest news had any legs, that the BoG's would also convene.

Count Popula

Nov 30, 2008
In regards to the entry draft, why are expansion teams typically not allowed to draft first overall? For example, why didn't the league want Lindros to to go the Sharks? What's wrong with an expansion team getting a franchise player?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
My bad. Part assumption, part history. SD is correct. It is the GM's meeting. I assumed since the EIS is due out about the same time, and if this latest news had any legs, that the BoG's would also convene.

I hope it does have legs. I would like to see my years of waiting finally come to an end.

thom

Mar 6, 2012
According to Journalist Baker from Seattle.Nhl will announce team for Seattle shortly after Sochi Olympics-This according to french web site 985sports.ca

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
According to Journalist Baker from Seattle.Nhl will announce team for Seattle shortly after Sochi Olympics-This according to french web site 985sports.ca

I think 985 may have gotten it wrong.

Baker never said will announce. He said could announce.

The article also mentions NHL denying the rumors. So who knows what's going on.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I've been hearing through back channels for a few months now that an announcement would be made after the Olympics.

I guess we will know very soon.

Yea. We'll know either way but i am hoping that the rumors end up being true.

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
I've been hearing through back channels for a few months now that an announcement would be made after the Olympics.

I guess we will know very soon.

Hum.... this makes these rumours have more weight, especially with a Denver Post reporter saying there'll be a Québec/Seattle expansion after the Olympics.

Adrian Dater article

I was very sceptical at first, but like No Fun Shogun has said, where there's smoke there is fire. And this rumour has a LOT of smoke behind it! An expansion announcement could be much closer then we may think....

It makes sense when you think about it, more people think about hockey during the Olympics then at any other time, so it's the perfect time to make such an important announcement.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Yeah, it is looking more and more like that's the case, but at this point I can't tell if it's just Seattle (with well wishing about QC latched on) or if it's legitimately both markets.... Or if it's well wishing about both.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Hum.... this makes these rumours have more weight, especially with a Denver Post reporter saying there'll be a Québec/Seattle expansion after the Olympics.

Adrian Dater article

I was very sceptical at first, but like No Fun Shogun has said, where there's smoke there is fire. And this rumour has a LOT of smoke behind it! An expansion announcement could be much closer then we may think....

It makes sense when you think about it, more people think about hockey during the Olympics then at any other time, so it's the perfect time to make such an important announcement.

There may be smoke the question is how much fire is there.

There is a a few unanswered questions in regard to seattle when it comes to its arena at least from the public perspective hard to say what is going on behind closed doors

Nothing has come out publicly of an agreement for NHL first option for Sodo Arena plan. As far as i am aware of they are just waiting for the EIS to get finished which should be soon.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Yeah, it is looking more and more like that's the case, but at this point I can't tell if it's just Seattle (with well wishing about QC latched on) or if it's legitimately both markets.... Or if it's well wishing about both.

I think NHL wants to be in seattle buts its coming down to questions about the arena getting built.I don't know what the league knows or doesn't know when it comes to the NHL building the sodo arena if team is granted.

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec

Yes, but if you're going to expand, wouldn't it make more sense to do so by two teams? Would't that be easier for everyone?

In my opinion, it's either a two team expansion announcement, or none at all.

But I've seen stranger things happen!

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Yes, but if you're going to expand, wouldn't it make more sense to do so by two teams? Would't that be easier for everyone?

Quebec city could been waiting for seattle to get ready in terms of expansion that doesn't necessary mean if seattle was already ready and QC wasn't that they wouldn't at least announced seattle.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Perhaps just perhaps that the announcement won't come after the Olympics but more towards summer and the NHL and seattle's group are just lining things up of an agreement behind closed doors. I mean like they get everything done league wise and wait till the arena gets shove ready with NHL first option before announcing.

As of now the arena has yet to get the official shove ready green light. That is coming this summer.

And that is the question of which many would ask why would NHL announce an expansion team to Seattle when the arena isn't even shovel ready with a NHL first option

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois

I am inclined to agree with you, but was expecting Portland to be on the hot seat as well, so for them to potentially flat out announce two markets already would be a tad surprising to me.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I am inclined to agree with you, but was expecting Portland to be on the hot seat as well, so for them to potentially flat out announce two markets already would be a tad surprising to me.

Question though if we were to have a two city announcement for expansion wouldn't the other city be in the news like with the seattle announcement rumor was. I have yet to really hear anything article rumor wise of #32 in the past couple days.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Question though if we were to have a two city announcement for expansion wouldn't the other city be in the news like with the seattle announcement rumor was. I have yet to really hear anything article rumor wise of #32 in the past couple days.

It sounds like the Seattle team won't be able to play their first game until at least 2015 so there's probably no felt need to rush the announcement of the second team.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
It sounds like the Seattle team won't be able to play their first game until at least 2015 so there's probably no felt need to rush the announcement of the second team.

There is no way any expansion team begins playing the next season after announcement. 2015-16 is the earliest seattle will begin playing with 2016-17 being the latest.

Northender

Feb 11, 2012
So who would the owner be in Seattle? Wouildn't we have heard some names rumoured by now?

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
Seattle is filled with well-off people looking to drop money on entertainment. A hockey team is guaranteed to be successful.
Portland on the other hand could not by any stretch support an NHL team, that place is broke.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
So who would the owner be in Seattle? Wouildn't we have heard some names rumoured by now?

There are 3 groups wanting that team

1) Ray Bartoszek
2) jeremy roenick (rumored to have a german investor)
3) Unknown maybe Don Levin.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Seattle is filled with well-off people looking to drop money on entertainment. A hockey team is guaranteed to be successful.
Portland on the other hand could not by any stretch support an NHL team, that place is broke.

If Paul Allen wanted a NHL in Portland it would happen and would be expansion partners with seattle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad